Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

6 hours ago, Flacco Machado said:

Gausman, with his first "bad start", tonight...

4.2 ip 4 runs 4 bb 4 k 7 Hits

3 hours ago, now said:

That looks more familiar.

11 minutes ago, Whammer said:

Big game against a tough team. Typical Gausman.

Both the good and the bad games are typical Gausman.    He’s been all over the lot during his time with us.    He pitched well in a lot of big games down the stretch in 2016.   He was lousy other times.   As I’ve consistently said since he was traded, it will take at least to the end of 2019 to know if he’s become a diffferent pitcher for Atlanta than he was with us. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Both the good and the bad games are typical Gausman.    He’s been all over the lot during his time with us.    He pitched well in a lot of big games down the stretch in 2016.   He was lousy other times.   As I’ve consistently said since he was traded, it will take at least to the end of 2019 to know if he’s become a diffferent pitcher for Atlanta than he was with us. 

I have to think the end result will be somewhere towards the median. His Orioles career was so frustrating because of his flashes of brilliance and dominance (“How about Kevin ******* Gausman!”, in Tommy Hunter speak), followed up by a guy who nibbled far too much, had no secondary pitches working, and then got hammered when he was forced to throw a pitch down the middle. 

I gave Gausman what seemed like way too many chances to get on track and stay on track while here. Wasn't he the guy that lived on donuts before and during his starts in college? Fine ! Everybody has some quirky habit it seems in sports.  Didn't they take that away from him? He always seemed like a guy who was satisfied after every start even though he knew he pitched lousy. He always would say I have to do better the next time out and then when traded even admitted he didn't do a good job while here. To put it mildly I am not what anyone would consider a tough guy although some might think I am. I told friends at many Orioles games I saw him pitch and games on TV I wish they could toughen him up. Give him some edge or attitude. In other words don't act wimpy (is that a word?) or soft all of the time. I'm not the only one that felt that way.  I've always wanted the Orioles to trade for Archer every time his name came up in trade rumors. Personally I think Archer is the better pitcher and his contract made him even more appealing. If you polled any AL playoff contender manager or GM and asked them who they would want to start in a key game for them I think the majority would say Archer. Will Gausman improve in Atlanta. Of course he will. His won loss record has to improve it's so bad. Even if they move him to the pen. He threw too many pitches in four or five innings almost every time out.  I think everyone will see we got the better of the trade in the next year or two.

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

You're right; and for me the negatives outweigh(ed) the positives because the potential was so tempting, and needed, and expected (more than, say, Daniel Cabrera's ceiling). And you're right too, that we'll have to wait and see.

Seems the balance of the scales so far, with pitchers here vs. elsewhere, is that something in our coaching & development is lacking or messed up. Wonder if anyone has arrived at a convincing summary of our recent cases (Arrieta, Davies, Norris, Bridwell, ERod, etc.). Hard to quantify, too, with different comments from players, pro and con the coaching. 

8 hours ago, now said:

You're right; and for me the negatives outweigh(ed) the positives because the potential was so tempting, and needed, and expected (more than, say, Daniel Cabrera's ceiling). And you're right too, that we'll have to wait and see.

Seems the balance of the scales so far, with pitchers here vs. elsewhere, is that something in our coaching & development is lacking or messed up. Wonder if anyone has arrived at a convincing summary of our recent cases (Arrieta, Davies, Norris, Bridwell, ERod, etc.). Hard to quantify, too, with different comments from players, pro and con the coaching. 

And different coaches and pitching coordinators over time.   It’s pretty clear McDowell hasn’t been great, though.   I’d actually like to see a former pitcher or catcher as manager and then a strong pitching coach.    

9 hours ago, now said:

Are folks counting Bud Norris among those that are finding success after leaving the O's?  Bullpen Bud Norris with the .1 rWAR and 3.97 FIP?

Oh wait he has saves, that must mean he's good. ?

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Are folks counting Bud Norris among those that are finding success after leaving the O's?  Bullpen Bud Norris with the .1 rWAR and 3.97 FIP?

Oh wait he has saves, that must mean he's good. ?

83.9% save rate.   For reference, the year everybody got on Jim Johnson’s case for blowing so many saves, he was at 84.7%.    I’d agree I don’t see him as a post-Orioles success story.  The best year of his career was as an Oriole.

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

And different coaches and pitching coordinators over time.   It’s pretty clear McDowell hasn’t been great, though.   I’d actually like to see a former pitcher or catcher as manager and then a strong pitching coach.    

Indeed, terrible results for McDowell. If managers can be rated by W-L record, surely pitching coaches could/should be rated by their staff ERAs. Is any data out there?

(OK, another Floyd reference ;)