Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

45 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Little Yaz hit a walk off home for the Giants.

How Sweet Caroline would it be to have him occasionally sock it to the Red Sox as our 4th outfielder, following in the legacy of the Mandino and Matusz.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

He's versatile, he's got some pop.  I like Stevie.  But maybe I should have said I'd rather have Little Yaz rather than Smith.  

Yes, Smith has certainly collapsed after an exciting beginning. Fortunately, we have plenty of time to see if he can pull out of it--and very little need, considering the wealth of corner OF options that should be available soon enough.

6 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Yes, Smith has certainly collapsed after an exciting beginning. Fortunately, we have plenty of time to see if he can pull out of it--and very little need, considering the wealth of corner OF options that will should be available.

Well, Stewart needs some at bats.  We'll see.  

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

He's versatile, he's got some pop.  I like Stevie.  But maybe I should have said I'd rather have Little Yaz rather than Smith.  

Me too. I was surprised we let him go really. It's even more frustrating that Tyler Herb hasn't done squat in Norfolk and hasn't done much of anything noteworthy since 2017 while Yastrzemski had an .801 OPS at AAA that year. Just the pedigree alone should have earned him a good look here. He tore it up in AAA immediately after the trade and is doing a hell of a lot better than Smith. We may not have even signed Broxton at all. Oh well, nothing we can do about it now. Just another bad deal, but can't blame the previous administration for this one.

9 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Little Yaz is holding his own.  I'd rather have him than Stevie.  Even though I like Stevie.  

Why does it have to be Stevie vs Yaz. We didn’t even give even give little yaz a chance last year. The giants are going with little Yaz over Rickard. Rickard got every chance out there to do something here. 

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It was stated that he is still working on his cutter and curve ball but went almost exclusively with the fastball and split yesterday.  Gotta love it.

The guy is what 28 years old?  He has probably been pitching since he was 7.  He went to a top D1 school and came through a minor league system.  My point is he has had top coaches working with him, probably since he was in his early teens.  If he hasn't come up with an effective breaking pitch at this point I wouldn't hold my breath that he eventually will.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Any thoughts on who that “Verlander” like player could be? I would have said Alcantara but he doesn’t have a larger contract and he is hurt. I can’t identify that kind of player out there right now. None of the obvious selling teams have any really good pitchers. Maybe Berrios or Kikuchi if the Jays decide to sell? But Kikuchi isn’t expensive and is Berios really an ace? Sonny Gray? But the Cards are actually slightly over .500. I just can’t seem to find that kind of guy out there.
    • I think the Yankees series is very simple. Try to have nobody on base when Judge and Soto come to the plate. Get to there bullpen early. A lot easier said than done.
    • and youre persona is to ask or give multiple questions and answers to the same narrative. No quality starts? How bout seven starts with a 1.91 ERA and a whip slightly above one. OK I get it everybody waiting for it blowup, but honestly all things being equal why would be matching Suarez against Suarez so youre criticism of our Saurez is not as good as stat wise the best pitcher in the game so far. And in addition a quality start is some stat from a generation age that nobody pays attention to. No doubt the phillies getting full value for the buck on Saurez (5 mil). were paying league min. I'll take it 
    • Urias and Santander are slower than Rutschman.  O'Hearn is actually faster than Hays and Mountcastle. At least according to statcast sprint speed which isn't an exact analog to base stealing ability. https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/sprint_speed?min_season=2024&max_season=2024&position=&team=BAL&min=10
    • Hopefully the O's took notes on the Red Sox exposing Trevino on Sunday night. Anyone not named McCann, Rutschman, and O'hearn - if you get on base, just run. 
    • I just read a take on his changeup that loved it - thought it might help him be a "reverse splits" kind of RH middle reliever. Right now the Orioles have a bunch of lefties though should Coulombe end up okay.
    • BP profiled him today: Brandon Young, RHP, Baltimore Orioles Listed Height: 6-foot-6 Listed Weight: 210 pounds DOB (Age): August 19, 1998 (25) Pitch Velo Spin IVB HB Total % Whiff% 4-Seam Fastball 93.5 2124 18.0 -4.8 131 48.7 31.8 Changeup 85.5 1730 9.8 -13.3 64 23.8 22.9 Curveball 75.7 2723 -14.4 11.5 34 12.6 40.0 Slider 85.4 2048 5.4 5.5 26 9.7 12.5 Sweeper 79.5 2084 1.7 11.5 14 5.2 11.1 Injuries limited Young to just 53 1/3 innings between 2022 and 2023. Upon return to action last year, he flashed increased velocity. That velocity bump has carried over to 2024. Now, Young’s fastball has borderline-average velocity (previously below-average) but above-average carry and extension (6.6 feet). It is further aided by strong command. After his fastball, which is by no means a world beater, Young has a smattering of average secondaries. He primarily relies on a changeup–really his only secondary with above-average potential–that has solid velocity (8 mph), vertical movement (8+ inches), and horizontal movement (8+ inches) separation from his fastball. Both his breaking balls either lack enough power (curveball) or depth (slider/cutter) to be viable putaway pitches at the MLB level. His seldomly-used sweeper has potential, but it has had little success so far. Young adds to the depth of the deepest system in baseball, yet he very well may just be that–depth–likely without an above-average offering. Of course, he could become a viable fantasy arm even with mediocre stuff due to his command and control. 
  • Popular Contributors