Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's kind of like Santander. Minor league numbers didn't really suggest he or Yaz would be all that good in the bigs, but sometimes the big stage brings out another level. 

Yep - they had Santander, Stewart and Yaz (with DSJ later available) and needed pitching so they used their analytics and chose to trade Yaz.  Stuff happens, and in this case it worked against them.  Good for Yaz and bad for O's.  With hindsight, I can still see how they came to that decision at that time but whatevs.  DSJ looked like a find until the D and the resulting injury because of the poor D.

3 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

If you were, so were a lot of people, including me and Elias.

I can see Elias being wrong but how did you make this mistake? Time will tell on Yaz.He has cut his strikeouts down a little lately.Would have been nice on a team like the Orioles, if he got a chance.Better to see him then watch Dwight Smith Jr. throw balls into the infield. Usually to the wrong base or miss the cutoff man.

5 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I can see Elias being wrong but how did you make this mistake? Time will tell on Yaz.He has cut his strikeouts down a little lately.Would have been nice on a team like the Orioles, if he got a chance.Better to see him then watch Dwight Smith Jr. throw balls into the infield. Usually to the wrong base or miss the cutoff man.

I get all my info directly from Chris Davis.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I think it's way too early to declare either Santander or Yaz success stories.   We shall see.

Let’s see where Yaz is this time next year. I remember believing way back that Chito Martinez was going to have a successful major league career. I was one of the people that wanted Yaz to get a chance with the Orioles. Happy to see him doing well.

Chito-Martinez.jpg?id=e6dcdca9-bd64-4e13

37 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Same as DD did with Schoop last year.

Not true. The end of the 2017 season would have been the perfect time for to trade Schoop. Also, I highly doubt that Duquette had anything to do with picking the time. I think midway through the 2018 season ownership went into panic mode and told him to sell, sell, sell. 

32 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I think it's way too early to declare either Santander or Yaz success stories.   We shall see.

Depends what you mean by success story, I guess.    As to Yaz, I doubt he’s going to hold an .815 OPS or be a major league starting outfielder for multiple years.    But he’s already surpassed my expectations for how many major league at bats he’d get in his career, and how he’s performed in general.    And it’s been a huge boon to the Giants, who had just pathetic performance from their outfielders before he arrived.    

As to Santander, I’m slightly more optimistic about his career, partially because he’s much younger than Yaz.    He’s certainly exceeded my expectations for him for 2019, though I did harbor some hope he’d develop into the player he’s looking like right now.   

As you said, we’ll see.

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Let’s see where Yaz is this time next year. I remember believing way back that Chito Martinez was going to have a successful major league career. I was one of the people that wanted Yaz to get a chance with the Orioles. Happy to see him doing well.

Chito-Martinez.jpg?id=e6dcdca9-bd64-4e13

...or Craig Worthlessington ;)