Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

53 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But honestly, how can anyone look at the stats and the scouting reports on Yaz and predict anything like what we've seen? 

You couldn't.  I'm assuming Elias and Sig looked at some advanced metrics and analytics, too.

That all said, did they think DSJR was significantly better?  I suppose they did.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I get where you're coming from.  But, IMO, if we were going to trot out a guy like DSJR then, yeah, we gave up on Little Yaz too early.  

The O's were not the only ones that gave up on Yaz.  All winter I keep saying he deserved a chance.  That he had outplayed Stewart in 2018. Many OH posters didn't support him.   When he was traded I looked at the Giants roster and said that it looked like a good opportunity for Yaz.   

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The O's were not the only ones that gave up on Yaz.  All winter I keep saying he deserved a chance.  That he had outplayed Stewart in 2018. Many OH posters didn't support him.   When he was traded I looked at the Giants roster and said that it looked like a good opportunity for Yaz.   

Pretty sure the Giants just love former Orioles. They gave Yaz and Gentry milb deals. Claimed Rickard and Andreoli off waivers. Pretty sure they also picked up Valera and Alberto off waivers at some point in the offseason too. 

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Stewart put up a half win in the majors in 17 games while being three years younger than Yaz.  How exactly did Yaz outperform him?

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Stewart put up a half win in the majors in 17 games while being three years younger than Yaz.  How exactly did Yaz outperform him?

So your argument is based a SSS.   Hahaha.

2018   AAA   Stewart  421 AB,  716 OPS

2018 AAA Yaz   324 AB,  801 OPS

And Yaz has always been a better defensive player than Stewart.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So your argument is based a SSS.   Hahaha.

2018   AAA   Stewart  421 AB,  716 OPS

2018 AAA Yaz   324 AB,  801 OPS

And Yaz has always been a better defensive player than Stewart.

No, I was replying to your argument.  When you factor in the age difference, the 603 OPS Yaz put up in Bowie, and what Stewart did in the majors you can't credibly say that Yaz outperformed him. 

2018, all levels:

Yaz, 27, 753 OPS (AA and AAA)

Stewart, 24, 716 OPS in AAA, 890 OPS majors.

Yaz didn't outperform Stewart.

53 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I know you like to thump your chest when you were correct.  I still think Yaz had backers because of his last name.  If his last name were Smith, I'm willing to bet you wouldn't have been as adamant about your stance.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I know that you like to thump your chest when you were correct. 

I still think that Yastrzemski had backers because of his last name. 

If his last name were "Smith", I'm willing to bet that you wouldn't have been as adamant about your stance.  

o

In 1966, Paul McCartney's brother changed his name to "McGear" because he did not want people buying his records based on his association with his famous Beatle sibling.

I have a sneaking suspicion that not only are there OH posters who have backed Mike Yastrzemski based largely on his name, but that the Orioles and the Giants themselves have/had given him some extra rope because of that.

McGough & McGear:Remastered & Expanded Edition

o

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

But honestly, how can anyone look at the stats and the scouting reports on Yaz and predict anything like what we've seen? 

How can anyone look at a guy who has a sub-.800 OPS as a 28-year-old in AAA and think "wow, we really need to find a way to work this guy into our lineup?"  Last year he and Joey Rickard were the same age and had almost identical performances at Norfolk.  Nobody was arguing for giving Joey Rickard another good long chance.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

That all said, did they think DSJR was significantly better?  I suppose they did.

I think they thought that DSJR was worth taking a flier on, and they probably let Yaz go and get a fresh start somewhere else because it was a decent thing to do for someone who isn't going to be an impact player.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

No, I was replying to your argument.  When you factor in the age difference, the 603 OPS Yaz put up in Bowie, and what Stewart did in the majors you can't credibly say that Yaz outperformed him. 

2018, all levels:

Yaz, 27, 753 OPS (AA and AAA)

Stewart, 24, 716 OPS in AAA, 890 OPS majors.

Yaz didn't outperform Stewart.

The biggest difference is that Stewart is three years younger and Yaz has repeated AAA since 2015.  Yaz first got to AA Ball five years ago.  Almost everyone plays better the more times they repeat a level.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

How can anyone look at a guy who has a sub-.800 OPS as a 28-year-old in AAA and think "wow, we really need to find a way to work this guy into our lineup?"  

I think it’s more like “there’s plenty of room to work him into the lineup, why not bring him up?”

Its not that he necessarily earned his shot, but none of these people we’re trotting out here have either...

1 hour ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I think it’s more like “there’s plenty of room to work him into the lineup, why not bring him up?”

Its not that he necessarily earned his shot, but none of these people we’re trotting out here have either...

I guess, but all this hand-wringing is because he's pulling a Hurricane Hazel, playing 26 miles above his head.  He's Joey Rickard, it's really no big deal.