Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

A bargain at the price!

All this talk of Markakis reminds me, I have to go look at Fangraphs' worst five contracts.

Well, I doubt Nick would be on any such list. According to fangraphs, after 94 games he's been worth $10.8 mm this year. At that rate he'll be worth about $18 mm for the season, as compared to his $11 mm salary. We can all debate whether he'll be worth it three years from now, but he's had a pretty solid season in 2015, despite the lack of homers.

I was neutral on whether the O's should have matched the Braves' offer, but for 2015, I would rather have had Nick out there, playing every day, getting on base, and having good at bats on a regular basis, than have watched the corner OF merry-go-round we've had. I'm not talking about money or the four-year contract, just what I would have preferred to see in 2015. And of course, I was and am a huge fan of Nick's, so I'm biased, but I think the team misses his consistency and steady approach.

Well, I doubt Nick would be on any such list. According to fangraphs, after 94 games he's been worth $10.8 mm this year. At that rate he'll be worth about $18 mm for the season, as compared to his $11 mm salary. We can all debate whether he'll be worth it three years from now, but he's had a pretty solid season in 2015, despite the lack of homers.

I was neutral on whether the O's should have matched the Braves' offer, but for 2015, I would rather have had Nick out there, playing every day, getting on base, and having good at bats on a regular basis, than have watched the corner OF merry-go-round we've had. I'm not talking about money or the four-year contract, just what I would have preferred to see in 2015. And of course, I was and am a huge fan of Nick's, so I'm biased, but I think the team misses his consistency and steady approach.

I think we can all agree that he would have been a help. This season.

Random aside... people often lament the effect free agency has had on baseball, with the departure of favorites like Nick over money and long-term commitments. What do you think it would take for the owners to buy free agency out of the next CBA? Guaranteeing the players 60% of league revenues? Setting a salary floor of $75M with no ceiling? Minimum salary of $5M? There has to be some carrot large enough to reinstate the reserve clause.

Random aside... people often lament the effect free agency has had on baseball, with the departure of favorites like Nick over money and long-term commitments. What do you think it would take for the owners to buy free agency out of the next CBA? Guaranteeing the players 60% of league revenues? Setting a salary floor of $75M with no ceiling? Minimum salary of $5M? There has to be some carrot large enough to reinstate the reserve clause.

You would think that nothing short of full partnership would suffice. Players as Co-Owners. That.

I'm quite sure that not everybody agrees. But hey, why have a discussion board if everyone is just going to agree on things?

As to the future, I think it could go either way. On the one hand, Nick is having a high-BABIP season, and in a lower-BABIP season he might not be very valuable. On the other hand, it's possible that after a normal off-season where he is able to work out and do strength conditioning, some of his power will return (I mean to 2014-type levels, not some big leap). Let's put it this way: the way free agent salaries are increasing, Nick appears to have a decent head start on being worth $44 mm over 4 years, depending on how he ages at 32-34 (which in my opinion isn't that old).

I'm quite sure that not everybody agrees. But hey, why have a discussion board if everyone is just going to agree on things?

As to the future, I think it could go either way. On the one hand, Nick is having a high-BABIP season, and in a lower-BABIP season he might not be very valuable. On the other hand, it's possible that after a normal off-season where he is able to work out and do strength conditioning, some of his power will return (I mean to 2014-type levels, not some big leap). Let's put it this way: the way free agent salaries are increasing, Nick appears to have a decent head start on being worth $44 mm over 4 years, depending on how he ages at 32-34 (which in my opinion isn't that old).

Probably a true statement. The Orioles model of course requires that everyone out-perform their contracts for the team to thrive. Earning a large contract makes it just less of an albatross.

Probably a true statement. The Orioles model of course requires that everyone out-perform their contracts for the team to thrive. Earning a large contract makes it just less of an albatross.

Agreed. It is becoming a bigger issue because we have fewer young, cheap, good players now than we did a few years ago.

Of course that helps, but it's not a requirement. The Orioles model requires that most of the value in the team come from pre-free agency players. But not all, or they would never have signed Ubaldo. I seriously doubt that Duquette thought that Ubaldo was going to be a huge $/win value.

Didn't say I thought he would be.

Just that I was reminded that the list came out.