Jomboy on Manny Meltdown vs Padres

Aristotelian

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll disagree.  122 plate appearances in a row isn't very relevant, spaced out like that I think it's meaningless.

I would agree with this under most circumstances but I think it’s a fairly large sample size for the postseason.

It doesn’t mean he’s destined to be terrible for his whole career but he has been terrible thus far.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I would agree with this under most circumstances but I think it’s a fairly large sample size for the postseason.

It doesn’t mean he’s destined to be terrible for his whole career but he has been terrible thus far.

I'll agree that he's been poor so far, I just don't think it predicts what he will do in the future.

6 minutes ago, survivedc said:

TBH I’m kind of with Manny on this one. The pitcher almost gave up a homer, Bellinger makes a great catch and the pitcher isnt out yelling and congratulating Bellinger, he was celebrating on the mound by himself. Kind of whack.

I've yet to see an on the field celebration that I thought was excessive.

Have at it, get excited, flip that bat, toss that hat, heck moonwalk.

48 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll agree that he's been poor so far, I just don't think it predicts what he will do in the future.

Agreed.   It’s no more indicative than 122 PA during the season would be, and arguably less so.   But people get judged by how they performed on the big stage, and so far he hasn’t done particularly well.   

58 minutes ago, survivedc said:

TBH I’m kind of with Manny on this one. The pitcher almost gave up a homer, Bellinger makes a great catch and the pitcher isnt out yelling and congratulating Bellinger, he was celebrating on the mound by himself. Kind of whack.

If Tatis hits a homer and he does a bat flip, are you ok with that?

A pitcher celebrating is no different.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

So?  That’s not really relevant.

Thats a good chunk of postseason at bats where he has been a pretty poor hitter.

Many or most offensive metrics take more than a full season (say, 600 PA) to stabilize.  122 is nothing.

Remember how Charlie Blackmon was going to hit .400 this year, he was hitting .405 after 120 PAs?  He hit .303.

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

Many or most offensive metrics take more than a full season (say, 600 PA) to stabilize.  122 is nothing.

Remember how Charlie Blackmon was going to hit .400 this year, he was hitting .405 after 120 PAs?  He hit .303.

That’s all well and good.

I still stand by the thought that 122 plate appearances is a solid sample size for the POSTSEASON to be able to say he has failed so far. 

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Agreed.   It’s no more indicative than 122 PA during the season would be, and arguably less so.   But people get judged by how they performed on the big stage, and so far he hasn’t done particularly well.   

If you don't hit well in 122 PA in the postseason it's because you're a bad person.  A choker.  A loser.  If you hit .342 in October after hitting .234 in the regular season it's because you have been blessed by the gods.

Signed,
All 20th century sports writing

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I still stand by the thought that 122 plate appearances is a solid sample size for the POSTSEASON to be able to say he has failed so far. 

No.  A defining feature of the postseason is that random chance is almost as important as ability.

Or, sure, he failed.  But it has little or nothing to do with his ability as a baseball player.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s not a terribly low or high number, I’d say.    It’s almost twice as many PA as Adam Jones (.413 OPS) had in the postseason (65).   It’s about 1/6th of what Derek Jeter had (734).  Jeter, by the way, is the only player to have had as many postseason at bats as a player typically would get over one full season of regular season play.

I also think it’s true (haven’t looked in a few years) that generally the postseason favors the pitchers.    So most hitters are going to do a bit worse than their regular season stats.   

7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

No.  A defining feature of the postseason is that random chance is almost as important as ability.

Or, sure, he failed.  But it has little or nothing to do with his ability as a baseball player.

I never said anything about his ability as a player.  But he hasn’t been good in the postseason and it’s been in a decent number of at bats, for the postseason.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've yet to see an on the field celebration that I thought was excessive.

Have at it, get excited, flip that bat, toss that hat, heck moonwalk.

Right before COVID my 12-year-old son was playing as a fill-in on a 13/14-year-old indoor soccer team.  Before the game I was messing with him and told him to do a moonwalk if he scored a goal. He was easily the smallest kid on the field, but also probably the best player.  He scored a goal.  He moonwalked and did a little Michael Jackson spin to celebrate.  The parents on the sidelines ate it up.  I was a little embarrassed, but at the same time it was pretty cool.

It's a game.  It should be fun.

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s not a terribly low or high number, I’d say.    It’s almost twice as many PA as Adam Jones (.413 OPS) had in the postseason (65).   It’s about 1/6th of what Derek Jeter had (734).  Jeter, by the way, is the only player to have had as many postseason at bats as a player typically would get over one full season of regular season play.

I also think it’s true (haven’t looked in a few years) that generally the postseason favors the pitchers.    So most hitters are going to do a bit worse than their regular season stats.   

I tried to find a list of all time at bats but couldn’t find anything more than the top 10 or so.

I would guess that Manny has had more at bats than at least 80% of all MLers ever.

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So far this year the postseason ERA is 4.20, vice 4.44 in the regular season.  I think in general that's true, you have better pitchers pitching more of the innings in the postseason.