Trezza: Big off season questions

wildcard

21 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t think Elias will give up on Alberto at this point.

So do you think Elias just accepts the 609-635 OPS vs right-handed pitching  and plays his everyday?  Right handed pitching is  about 72% of the pitchers he would face.  Or do you think Hyde platoons him vs left-handed pitching?

He will be 28 years old with two seasons in the majors.  He is not likely to change much.

10 hours ago, wildcard said:

So do you think Elias just accepts the 609-635 OPS vs right-handed pitching  and plays his everyday?  Right handed pitching is  about 72% of the pitchers he would face.  Or do you think Hyde platoons him vs left-handed pitching?

He will be 28 years old with two seasons in the majors.  He is not likely to change much.

Hard to count stats from this season as it was short 100 games. Alberto was pretty good early and went through a slump. I doubt they give up on him this fast. 

They can easily cut 10-15 guys from the 40 man roster and not even realize those players are gone.

None of the young players should be in jeopardy of going anywhere.

It makes no sense to me that the message you are saying is that we need to build a pipeline, get as much young and cheap talent as possible and then turnaround and potentially lose guys because you want to keep Velazquez or Lakins or some other dime a dozen, journeyman player on the 40 man roster.  It’s just lacks intelligent and common sense and it goes against the message and process you keep wanting to push through.

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They can easily cut 10-15 guys from the 40 man roster and not even realize those players are gone.

None of the young players should be in jeopardy of going anywhere.

It makes no sense to me that the message you are saying is that we need to build a pipeline, get as much young and cheap talent as possible and then turnaround and potentially lose guys because you want to keep Velazquez or Lakins or some other dime a dozen, journeyman player on the 40 man roster.  It’s just lacks intelligent and common sense and it goes against the message and process you keep wanting to push through.

Lacks intelligent.....Same old SG.

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Lacks intelligent.....Same old SG.

*Shrug*

I guess that’s supposed to bother me?

The bottom line is that you can’t sit there and preach a pipeline and let those players go for dime a dozen mediocrity.  That’s just a dumb message to send.  There isn’t intelligence (baseball intelligence) behind that thought process.  I don’t care if you think Wells(for example) has no chance of being claimed.  That’s not the point.  You don’t even risk it.  There is no need to risk it.  You have a 40 man roster full of nobodies who you can easily replace 5 minutes after you drop them.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

*Shrug*

I guess that’s supposed to bother me?

The bottom line is that you can’t sit there and preach a pipeline and let those players go for dime a dozen mediocrity.  That’s just a dumb message to send.  There isn’t intelligence (baseball intelligence) behind that thought process.  I don’t care if you think Wells(for example) has no chance of being claimed.  That’s not the point.  You don’t even risk it.  There is no need to risk it.  You have a 40 man roster full of nobodies who you can easily replace 5 minutes after you drop them.

Wait  to see what Elias does.   Question his intelligence.

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Wait  to see what Elias does.   Question his intelligence.

I’m not questioning anything about his intelligence right now.

But yes, IF he keeps a guy like Velazquez, whom he picked up off the scrap heap, along with several other MIers, over a guy like Wells and he risks losing Wells for nothing, that will be a stupid move.  There is no logic behind that.

And I say that as someone who probably likes Wells more than most but also question if he can ever be a good ML pitcher but that really doesn’t matter.  He’s a young asset that you don’t lose to keep an older, non entity especially when your mantra is “build the pipeline”.

I mean, if it came down to say, Sedlock vs Wells and you made the determination that Sedlock is the better way to go, so be it.  

But that’s not what we are talking about here.

Again, let’s go over the list:

Velazquez, Lakins, Sulser, Hess, Kline, LeBlanc, Stewart, Holladay, Wynns and Martin.

It would also not likely to matter if you cut Eshelman, Valaika, Urias, Lopez and Valdez.

Plus you have the decisions to make on Ruiz, Alberto and Nunez.

Just so many guys that would be easy to drop..and it would be easy to replace them once you do drop them.  Just don’t expose guys to the rule 5 when you don’t have to.

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not questioning anything about his intelligence right now.

But yes, IF he keeps a guy like Velazquez, whom he picked up off the scrap heap, along with several other MIers, over a guy like Wells and he risks losing Wells for nothing, that will be a stupid move.  There is no logic behind that.

And I say that as someone who probably likes Wells more than most but also question if he can ever be a good ML pitcher but that really doesn’t matter.  He’s a young asset that you don’t lose to keep an older, non entity especially when your mantra is “build the pipeline”.

Who is saying the Velazquez should stay on the 40 man roster?

Just now, wildcard said:

Who is saying the Velazquez should stay on the 40 man roster?

I’m not saying anyone is saying it.  I’m using him as one of the many examples that if he is kept on the 40 man and that allows a guy like Wells to be exposed, that’s terrible decision making.

Thats all I’m saying.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I mean, if it came down to say, Sedlock vs Wells and you made the determination that Sedlock is the better way to go, so be it.  

But that’s not what we are talking about here.

Again, let’s go over the list:

Velazquez, Lakins, Sulser, Hess, Kline, LeBlanc, Stewart, Holladay, Wynns and Martin.

It would also not likely to matter if you cut Eshelman, Valaika, Urias, Lopez and Valdez.

Plus you have the decisions to make on Ruiz, Alberto and Nunez.

Just so many guys that would be easy to drop..and it would be easy to replace them once you do drop them.  Just don’t expose guys to the rule 5 when you don’t have to.

I don't think Elias will agree with you on Lakins, Martin, Valaika, Lopez and Valdez.   Probalby not on Eshelman, Stewart or Urias but I am not sure about that.