David Hess Appreciation Thread

86this

Just now, SteveA said:

The Rays appreciate David Hess enough to sign him to a minor league contract today.

This is something that will happen with increasing frequency as the accumulated pitching talent the O's are developing make their way into MLB

Some will miss here... and will potentially figure it out somewhere else. (Although I have my doubts with Hess)

6 hours ago, owknows said:

This is something that will happen with increasing frequency as the accumulated pitching talent the O's are developing make their way into MLB

Some will miss here... and will potentially figure it out somewhere else. (Although I have my doubts with Hess)

ALA Jake Arrieta

7 hours ago, SteveA said:

The Rays appreciate David Hess enough to sign him to a minor league contract today.

When it’s Tampa, you have to worry that they’ll unlock something we didn’t.   For Hess’s sake I hope they do, but for my sanity I hope they don’t.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Tampa needs guys to pitch in AAA too.  Hess had never been the talent that Arrieta was.  I’m not worried.

Hess and Arrieta should never be mentioned in the same sentence unless it to say they were both once drafted, developed and pitched for the Orioles.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Hess and Arrieta should never be mentioned in the same sentence unless it to say they were both once drafted, developed and pitched for the Orioles.

Agreed.   But I would not say it’s impossible that Hess could become a credible major league pitcher.    Not too likely, but stranger things have happened.   

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I don't doubt his stuff.   I doubt his command.  
    • Language like “…salvage the season” is beginning to appear which is more than a little premature. I share the concern about having enough pitching for the postseason. 
    • Suarez needs to go the bullpen and he could definitely help there in a long/middle relief role. Suarez's fastball is averaging 95 MPH this year maybe pitching in relief and can add 2 to 3 more MPH when he needs it.
    • The trade deadline is a while freaking month from now, plus a few more days. I know it’s hard to believe because this board can’t go thirty minutes without discussing a trade and the Trade Deadline thread was created a long time ago (lol) but come on. Why are you convinced Elias will do nothing? Angelos is gone. There’s no reason to expect he will have to go to Ollie’s Bargain Outlet this time.     
    • I floated this idea the other day.  Going to try a slight different version today. For Crochet,  Kjerstad, Norby, DeLeon For Fedde,  Bradfield, McDermott, Chace 1. Feel free to call them overpays or underpays 2. Do the White Sox say no? I think those are two strong packages or one overall very strong package.  I think the Crochet deal is clearly stronger than the Burnes deal was at the time for a pitcher with more control but durability questions. We still hold onto our top 3.  They can try to manage Crochet’s workload if they/you believe in that.  Bottom line, we strongly upgrade the starting staff.       Burnes, GRod, Crochet, Kremer, Fedde.   You’re back to having depth with Irvin to the pen and Povich to AAA.   You can use Crochet as an opener to manage his innings. We still have chips like Beavers, Willems, Baumeister, Fabian to get rental relievers. Of course, this guts a lot of top and mid level prospects but it keeps Basallo, Holliday, and Mayo here.  With the upcoming draft, and the Latin program showing real progress in the lower minors, I think there’s no doubt we can take the position player hit.  Losing McDermott and DeLeon is tough but if you get two starters from the Sox you have to send some arms back.      
    • Teams have slumps, with or without injuries.  Add in a beyond belief amount of injuries,  and you have the 2024 Orioles.  
    • Elias plan is pretty simple and has been executed to near perfection.  Give the team as wide a window as possible to be a playoff participant and build a team capable of winning the whole thing if things break their way.   Based on the last several post seasons the team that hits the most home runs in any given series has won that series.  I think he has accomplished those goals. This organization is setup to have a 3-5 year run as a world series contender.  I have no issue with the plan or even the overall execution and anyone who does is not seeing the bigger picture in my opinion.
  • Popular Contributors