Luis Hernandez

clapdiddy

Is it just me, or does this kid look like he knows what he's doing out on the field?

I know we compare him to Fahey, but up to now, it appears to me that he has a much better approach at the plate. He actually looks like he's hitting the ball with a baseball bat as opposed to Fahey who looks like he's swinging a rolled up newspaper and hits the ball like he's swinging a rolled up newspaper.

He also looks pretty slick in the field and looks like he covers pretty good ground.

Now...I'm not getting carried away and anointing him the next Miguel Tejada. I just like the way the kid seems to approach the game.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What amazes me is how much better virtually anyone has looked at SS replacing Tejada. Gomez, Fahey, and Hernandez all look smoother IMO. That tells me Tejada should be moved to DH or some other defensive position. I love his bat but his fielding is almost a hinderance when you watch others playing the position better including rookies, minor leaguers, and utility guys. Sure doesn't say much for Tejada as a shortstop.

I know we compare him to Fahey, but up to now, it appears to me that he has a much better approach at the plate. He actually looks like he's hitting the ball with a baseball bat as opposed to Fahey who looks like he's swinging a rolled up newspaper and hits the ball like he's swinging a rolled up newspaper.

That's a great line! :D

I haven't seen enough of Hernandez to form any strong opinions, but your assessment of Fahey is right on.

What amazes me is how much better virtually anyone has looked at SS replacing Tejada. Gomez, Fahey, and Hernandez all look smoother IMO. That tells me Tejada should be moved to DH or some other defensive position. I love his bat but his fielding is almost a hinderance when you watch others playing the position better including rookies, minor leaguers, and utility guys. Sure doesn't say much for Tejada as a shortstop.

What amazes me is that people are surprised that players who are professional ballplayers only because they can field look somewhat better than Tejada. If Fahey, Gomez, and Hernandez weren't very good fielders they'd be working at Burger King.

Tejada is an excellent player because he's a great hitter and an adequate shortstop. Fahey and co. are minor league shortstops because they're good fielders and whiffle ball hitters.

What amazes me is that people are surprised that players who are professional ballplayers only because they can field look somewhat better than Tejada. If Fahey, Gomez, and Hernandez weren't very good fielders they'd be working at Burger King.

Tejada is an excellent player because he's a great hitter and an adequate shortstop. Fahey and co. are minor league shortstops because they're good fielders and whiffle ball hitters.

Boooooooooooooo! They might be making comments on a board such as this, preparing for their managing career or using the college degree many received to have a real job (as we do/did). I know you meant it in jest, Jon, but I always bristle when I read this stuff.

Hernandez will never hit but he can field and he is a much better fielder than Fahey IMO.

That being said, what is up with all the Tejada hatred in the field?

The stats, this year, say he has actually been above average.

He has had some moments this year where he was very lackadasical and seemingly didn't care but i bet if Fahey or Hernandez played there for 162 games, they would have those moments too.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend any one. I'm sure Brandon Fahey will be on his way to a lucrative career in finance or engineering or something when his baseball skill fails him.

Fixed that for you! Exactly as most of us here did....;)

I did have MLP*, they say! But, I couldn't hit the curve ball either....:(

Fahey is a three tool player and gets little respect! (too bad two of the tools he lacks concern the bat)

*Major League Potential

I'm sure on some Burger King message board someone is criticizing "Jimmy's burger flipping technique" and saying, "Jimmy flips burgers about as gracefully as Jay Gibbons chases down flies in left".

Fixed that for you! ;) Touche!

btw - osfan83 can't spell..................:rolleyes::P:)

Archived