Orioles Agree to Deal With Severino

VaBird1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Severino has a much better arm than Sisco, without question.    I was merely addressing the point about pitch blocking that Can_of_corn raised (I think the “lazy” comment refers to Severino not getting his body in front of pitches).   

The framing seemed half-hearted as well. 

Now that is all just my interpretation of what I saw.  Please don't read more into it.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

That was only about passed balls.  You posited that the pitchers might have been a factor in Severino's passed balls so Frobby responded by showing that the other Oriole catchers didn't have the same issue.

Yes... and I responded by saying that while they didn't have a problem with passed balls, they had their own liabilities..  even while catching fewer games.

Seemed like a fair comment to me.

Severino didn't have a problem with passed balls in Washington.

I think it's fair to say he has one now.

Several things of note. The staff was a whole lot better in Washington. Pedro was likely a little leaner in Washington.

Maybe he is getting lazy.. but he seems to hustle on other plays to me..

56 minutes ago, owknows said:

See above

Severino was tied for 4th in all of MLB in errors for a catcher and tied for second in all of MLB in passed balls.

He also had 16 wild pitches thrown to him, in 35 games as a catcher. Now, that’s not all on him, but that is about once every other game on average, which is a lot.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Severino was tied for 4th in all of MLB in errors for a catcher and tied for second in all of MLB in passed balls.

He also had 16 wild pitches thrown to him, in 35 games as a catcher. Now, that’s not all on him, but that is about once every other game on average, which is a lot.

It would be interesting to see what the other Oriole catchers saw in terms of Wild Pitches/Game (as you would expect the catcher to surrender passed balls more often to pitchers who throw wild pitches more often)

I would guess that Pedro saw the lion's share of the young, jumpy, control issue pitchers.

I was digging through stats trying to determine if there's any correlation, but it isn't an easy set of info to find.

1 minute ago, owknows said:

It would be interesting to see what the other Oriole catchers saw in terms of Wild Pitches/Game (as you would expect the catcher to surrender passed balls more often to pitchers who throw wild pitches more often)

I would guess that Pedro saw the lion's share of the young, jumpy, control issue pitchers.

I was digging through stats trying to determine if there's any correlation, but it isn't an easy set of info to find.

If it was me, I wouldn't bother. 

With one exception everyone is fine with bringing him back.  We just think he had a rough year on D last season.  Hopefully Adley will be up at some point and make it a moot point.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

If it was me, I wouldn't bother. 

With one exception everyone is fine with bringing him back.  We just think he had a rough year on D last season.  Hopefully Adley will be up at some point and make it a moot point.

Probably good advice.

I have a personality quirk that sometimes compels me to waste hours of time on esoterica... just because I want to know... particularly in support of an assertion. (even when the assertion is trivial)

I also have the peculiar habit of trying to (devil's) advocate both sides of a point... to the great confusion of those I'm conversing with.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, owknows said:

Not sure what you're basing that on.

Pedro catches more stealing (.425 to .380)... Fields his position as well... (both Wynns and Severino are career .992)

You think Wynns calls a better game?  CERA is pretty subjective...

Oh, I don’t think we have any catcher in the system who is a front line starter, or even a second line starter, but I think what we need most right now is an expert framer and blocker. Severino Gave up a lot of passed balls, and probably could be blamed for some wild pitches that should’ve gone against him instead.

I was quite surprised to find that overall, Sisco’s defense was better, And God knows I’m not in love with Sisco. I think we could get an acceptable defender behind the plate for pretty close to league minimum. He wouldn’t hit much, but I wouldn’t care about that much.

gotta go back to work but I’ll BBl with some stats from baseball Savant

Edited by Philip

3 minutes ago, owknows said:

The O’s led the league in wild pitches but walked fewer batters than the average team.   Strike percentage just a small fraction below average.   Hard to say if the wild pitches are the result of wild pitchers or poor catchers.   I should point out that Severino allowed fewer wild pitches than Sisco despite having more playing time.   

12 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Nunez for the same money and Austin Wynns would have been a better allocation of resources.

But no issue with Severino at this price tag.

I am pretty disappointed with this decision. I also think it is inconsistent to some degree with the Nunez decision. I guess his defense is okay overall but I am just tired of watching him sleep behind the plate and miss pitches that rookie ball catchers should be blocking. Heck, when he is in his funk he even wiffs on strikes. I was hoping to give Sisco more ABs and going with a cheap catch and throw guy as a backup. 1.8M is fine but he is easily replaced for league minimum IMHO. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

I am pretty disappointed with this decision. I also think it is inconsistent to some degree with the Nunez decision. I guess his defense is okay overall but I am just tired of watching him sleep behind the plate and miss pitches that rookie ball catchers should be blocking. Heck, when he is in his funk he even wiffs on strikes. I was hoping to give Sisco more ABs and going with a cheap catch and throw guy as a backup. 1.8M is fine but he is easily replaced for league minimum IMHO. 

It’s nice to get some offense out of the position but overall I agree.

Not trying to beat the Nunez drum too much here.  It sounds like I like him more than I do however, for basically the same money, I would much rather have him.  We don’t have another DH right now, if I’m assuming they will cut or bench Davis.  (Scary thing is they probably won’t).  And yes, I’m aware anyone can DH but Nunez has done it successfully and he isn’t blocking anyone by playing.

The C doesn’t matter because we can use Wynns for now and give Sisco the everyday at bats until Adley is ready.  

What this really tells me is that they have no confidence in Sisco.  They either don’t think he will hit enough, the defense isn’t good enough or both and they aren’t willing to give him a half a season (or however long it takes to get Adley up here) to find out.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Until Rutschman is ready, there is very limited depth at catcher.   At DH there are multiple possibilities from Stewart and rotating the outfielders (Santander, Mountcastle,  Hays), and Mancini, into the spot with Mullins getting more OF time.  Also the potential of Diaz coming up.  That's why Severino gets the 1.8 and Nunez doesn't.  Simple.

You have Wynns..and it’s not difficult to find a catch and throw guy off of waivers.

And your DH scenario, outside of Stewart, just isn’t necessary unless you want to see Mullins play a lot, which doesn’t make any sense to me.

44 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s nice to get some offense out of the position but overall I agree.

Not trying to beat the Nunez drum too much here.  It sounds like I like him more than I do however, for basically the same money, I would much rather have him.  We don’t have another DH right now, if I’m assuming they will cut or bench Davis.  (Scary thing is they probably won’t).  And yes, I’m aware anyone can DH but Nunez has done it successfully and he isn’t blocking anyone by playing.

The C doesn’t matter because we can use Wynns for now and give Sisco the everyday at bats until Adley is ready.  

What this really tells me is that they have no confidence in Sisco.  They either don’t think he will hit enough, the defense isn’t good enough or both and they aren’t willing to give him a half a season (or however long it takes to get Adley up here) to find out.

I agree with everything here... it must be that they have little to no confidence in Sisco. Assuming that is correct then I would have rather had them release/non tender both of them and sign a low dollar defense first guy who could actually help the young pitchers. They could've signed a really good one for 1.8M. Wynns would be fine as a back up for now. If it is truly a gap to AR then it's a waste of money. This year (IMO) should be all about establishing the young pitchers and figuring out who will stick in the outfield. They've done a good job with the MIF defense (assuming they hang on to Sanchez and dump Alberto). I like offense as much as anybody but, to me it is a secondary concern to the pitching.