Chris Davis: I’ll be at Spring Training and I’m not going anywhere

Legend_Of_Joey

I’m sad that he is the worst player on a team that is currently competing for a top draft pick and gets paid like a top of the rotation starter on a team competing for a WS. Maybe the team should have asked around the clubhouse before they signed him for a contract that Nelson Cruz would have figured out a way to make respectable. I don’t blame him a second for the contract, I blame the team for not cutting him two years ago and hoping he brakes a hip for insurance money. He and his wife still do good things for Baltimore, blame ownership for him taking up roster space when he should be working at a car dealership. 

15 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't see hand-wringing going on, but rather we are discussing more ridiculous statements from Davis about thinking he's an everyday player and how he's going to be here. We all agree he'[s entitled to the money because he and the Orioles signed the contract, just some of us actually would do the right thing and retire. 

Now some don't believe those of us that said we would, but it's not like he doesn't have more money than he or his children's children will ever be able to spend. At the end of the day, all he's done has destroyed any semblance of a positive legacy in order to cash checks he doesn't "deserve". 

In my mind, the only reason the team hasn't released him is because they could save some of the money if there is more COVID issues or a player's strike/lockout. Since the team is not competing, and Elias made that very clear of late, then they just keep him around, put him on the Ubaldo stepped in a pothole IL, and move on.

He's made his decision and he'll always be known as the worse contract ever handed out by the Orioles and possibly will go down as the least productive player ever over his last 1000 or so PAs in the major leagues. If that's worth his big pay checks to him, it's his absolute right to cash those checks and lay in his bed covered in money while laughing at all of us who have lost any kind of respect for the guy.

So let me be clear, Davis absolutely has every right to cash those checks based on a decision by an old man who was taken advantage of by Scott Boros. Anyone ever notice that Peter Angelos was rarely seen or heard from after that contract and the sons basically took control (even before it was announced)? 

This is part of the problem of today's sports landscape and why I think we're going to see a major change in how contracts are handed out and how rosters are put together especially with people cutting the cord and those big cable pay days may be slimming down.

Only commenting on the doing the right thing and retiring because having enough money. 
Not a chance in the world I would retire and lose out on the rest of that money. On average, 20% goes to the agent, 25%+ goes to taxes after that, and for the rest of his life his earnings are whatever he can invest in. No one is going to give him a dime for advertising, book deals, signings, poor bastard(being funny on this part) is going to have to use a pseudonym to even by a house or pizza business for the rest of his life. 

42 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Only commenting on the doing the right thing and retiring because having enough money. 
Not a chance in the world I would retire and lose out on the rest of that money. On average, 20% goes to the agent, 25%+ goes to taxes after that, and for the rest of his life his earnings are whatever he can invest in. No one is going to give him a dime for advertising, book deals, signings, poor bastard(being funny on this part) is going to have to use a pseudonym to even by a house or pizza business for the rest of his life. 

The industry standard commission rate is 5%.  Boras looks to charge 10%.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Ditto!

I’m pretty sure in Patrick Mahomes’ contract, I remember reading that after year 5, each year he plays will guarantee 2 more years of pay.  Something along those lines.  That’s makes so much sense to me.  The guy will never be poor, he will never have the rug ripped out from under him, but if starts to suck, he will get some a large chunk of his money and the team won’t be paying him every cent.

1 hour ago, kidrock said:

I’m pretty sure in Patrick Mahomes’ contract, I remember reading that after year 5, each year he plays will guarantee 2 more years of pay.  Something along those lines.  That’s makes so much sense to me.  The guy will never be poor, he will never have the rug ripped out from under him, but if starts to suck, he will get some a large chunk of his money and the team won’t be paying him every cent.

I think these contracts should pay for expected performance especially when they are in the mega category (+80 million and more than 4 years).

The stats should be measurable based on minimums that can be tied to performance (not injury etc). In baseball the insurance policy would cover a career ending injury etc and the fact that there isn’t a cap doesn’t hurt the franchise.

For performance,  The measurables should be reasonably in the players control. So ...you can’t keep a guy from getting ABs or starts as a way to void his deal. 

My idea would be a minimum OPS.... For Davis they paid him after his 2015 season after a .1000 + OPS. Looking at his stats his career OPS up to that point was +.800 and he had a few years between here and Texas that hovered around .700. As bad as he’s been his career OPS is still .775.

So a fair minimum would be somewhere around .735 considering the contract. Perhaps give the player 1 mulligan to protect against a single poor season as opposed to a trend.

After that the club should be able to opt out at their option. Even if it includes a safety net buyout for the player. Maybe a 10% penalty or something like that.

6 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

This is why MLB should allow teams to have performance clauses in contracts and if he don't perform to contract expectation they be allowed to cut him and not pay him like other sports.

This will never happen in baseball. The players onion in baseball is better than other sports and they've already secured this. This is the absolutely last thing the players would ever give up in any negotiation.

44 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

This will never happen in baseball. The players onion in baseball is better than other sports and they've already secured this. This is the absolutely last thing the players would ever give up in any negotiation.

Also, some of players best years, they get paid “relatively” little. 
I can’t stand players in football who refuse to show up until their contract is renegotiated.  You signed a contract, you fulfill that.  I guess that goes both ways with non guaranteed contracts and owners being able to cut someone and not see their part through. I like baseballs guaranteed contracts. The player has security and the owner has to follow through.  Teams have gotten less hasty in recent years locking someone up until they are 50, but they still have to weigh the price for elite guys who aren’t going to earn their money the last couple of years. Davis was never elite. Trumbo and Cruz were both cheaper options that at the time could have seemingly come close to the production. Now we know Cruz for sure would have been a good bet and really, Trumbo would have been better as well. Actually, bringing Hank Aaron out of retirement would have proved better. At least the end of Davis’s contract feels close for me. 

22 hours ago, Dipper9 said:

I think his reasoning for being open and honest now is that he hopes the Orioles DO release him and pay him the rest of his contract to literally do nothing.  I mean, he's "tried" to get better the past 3-4 years with no success...might as well just sit at home and get paid.  

I agree with someone above...I would not give back the money either.  But I think his plan is to piss the Orioles off enough that they release him and he still gets paid.

This makes a ton of sense. 

At this point I’m starting to think he is trying to force the Orioles hand here.  

7 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

This is why MLB should allow teams to have performance clauses in contracts and if he don't perform to contract expectation they be allowed to cut him and not pay him like other sports.

The issue is when Mike Trout or Manny come into the league and play lights out they are vastly underpaid. 

The basic idea for years was players are underpaid early on, paid about right in later arbitration years and overpaid after that. It would equal out on some levels. Now since teams aren’t wasting as much in FA with players aging faster the players aren’t getting their fair share. 

28 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Also, some of players best years, they get paid “relatively” little. 
I can’t stand players in football who refuse to show up until their contract is renegotiated.  You signed a contract, you fulfill that.  I guess that goes both ways with non guaranteed contracts and owners being able to cut someone and not see their part through. I like baseballs guaranteed contracts. The player has security and the owner has to follow through.  Teams have gotten less hasty in recent years locking someone up until they are 50, but they still have to weigh the price for elite guys who aren’t going to earn their money the last couple of years. Davis was never elite. Trumbo and Cruz were both cheaper options that at the time could have seemingly come close to the production. Now we know Cruz for sure would have been a good bet and really, Trumbo would have been better as well. Actually, bringing Hank Aaron out of retirement would have proved better. At least the end of Davis’s contract feels close for me. 

They are going to need a plan to compensate these guys better early on. That has to be done.  

9 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Wow just wow, when you’ve pissed off Mr. Sunshine Mike Bordick it’s time to reevaluate your career. Perhaps ownership had a chat with Bordick, and told him to let loose on Davis and don’t pull any punches. 

The bad thing is if he handles this differently his image in Baltimore would be much better off. 

Now perhaps he simply doesn’t care about that but it looks like his true colors are showing and it’s not a good look. This isn’t someone who declined but went down with a fight. Being called out on your work ethic is about as bad a thing that can be said about someone.

Years from now when all this blows over people can still appreciate the productive player he was from 2012-16. He is ruining that chance.  

1 hour ago, jamalshw said:

I'll have mine sauteed with butter! ?

I get the union is a problem and they would need to break it on the next lockout.