Chris Davis: I’ll be at Spring Training and I’m not going anywhere

Legend_Of_Joey

the guy makes me ill.  he is either lying or a complete idiot (or both).  He can't possibly enjoy going out there an being horrible.  He doesn't have a plan to get better.  he's just collecting checks and i have no respect for that considering the money he's already made.

• Upvote 1

It takes two to sign a contract.  Os ownership really made a major mistake here and they owe him what they owe him.

I do think that Chris Davis could figure out a way to accept a bit less $ and retire now with an agreement with the Os and avoid becoming an absolute joke over the next two seasons.  If he were to make a deal and forego the last $5M of what he is owed over the remainder of the contract, I think it could generate some goodwill with Os fans - as opposed to where his reputation is heading now.  

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Oh so he’s just delusional?

I don't believe for a second that he's delusional. I think he wants every last dime he's owed and he only cares about himself. It is is clear to everyone he is no longer a major league baseball player. He knows it, but he has to say those things to try and make it sound like he's going to suddenly get better. 

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't believe for a second that he's delusional. I think he wants every last dime he's owed and he only cares about himself. It is is clear to everyone he is no longer a major league baseball player. He knows it, but he has to say those things to try and make it sound like he's going to suddenly get better. 

Sure but him saying he is staying “for the fans” when all the fans want him gone is a pretty funny statement.

13 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

LaRoche did it for his family and that's very respectful. Gil Meche though is the guy I respect because he walked away because he rather respect himself then collect money he could not earn.

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/27/sports/baseball/27meche.html

We've had these discussions in the past and there's always that guy or guys who say, "Which one of you would walk away?"

Well let me make this very clear, if I had made the amount of money that Davis has made already and was in his current predicament, yes, I would retire and walk away from the rest of the money because like Meche, I'd rather respect myself and I'd rather my kids be able to respect me and know that once I could not earn my paycheck, I gave it up. 

Some won't believe me, but anyone that really knows me would know that's true. 

Once you're talking about the numbers he is, I do think there are a number of people that would walk away and I'm sure there are more examples out there of people that did.

There have been more in the football world lately, although they have been related to injury concerns (Andrew Luck, Luke Kuechly come to mind).  These are still different I guess, but for the right reasons people can walk away from millions and I would really imagine it would be easier with millions in hand.

For how we'd all react if truly in that place is tough to 100% honestly answer.  Few are ever in the position to had made that much and/or needed to make a decision to give up that much.  (not questioning your response at all).  I do think a decent number would walk away.  Coc (I think...not going to find it now) mentioned a settlement.  If he got 50% of 2021 and 2022 and then all the deferred money, it's still like $59 million over 17 or so years.  Hardly the poor house.

This really feels like the O's are trying to push a settlement and he is daring them to release him so he can have it all.  Boras negotiated the deal and he usually seems to squeeze everything he can out of teams.  I'm sure he's paid based on money players actually collect, so I wonder if there is pressure for Davis from that side as well.  At the end of the day, I'd rather not even hear any of this.  We are going to have a crappy team, with him being paid the most and be the crappiest player.  If he adds being a prickly dick then it's going to make the Davis vs Davis argument much easier for me. 

Hopefully sooner, but one way or another, I'll be happy for this to end after 2022.

I chuckle a little at all of the hand-wringing going on in this thread. Frobby made the point that none of us can put ourselves in CD's shoes, and that's the long and short of it. He can and should tell everyone else to go pound sand. He's living up to his end of a contract that he signed (in a literal, bare-minimum sense). And those saying that they'd take an 80% buyout should remember that even 20% of a sh*t ton of money is still a sh*t ton of money.

Saddle up, boys. Two more years of complaining lie ahead.

2 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

I chuckle a little at all of the hand-wringing going on in this thread. Frobby made the point that none of us can put ourselves in CD's shoes, and that's the long and short of it. He can and should tell everyone else to go pound sand. He's living up to his end of a contract that he signed (in a literal, bare-minimum sense). And those saying that they'd take an 80% buyout should remember that even 20% of a sh*t ton of money is still a sh*t ton of money.

Two years?  Folks will be bringing up the deferred salary for the next decade.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Two years?  Folks will be bringing up the deferred salary for the next decade.

Through 2037 to be exact. ?

Chris Davis contract: How much do Orioles owe struggling first baseman?

How much money is being deferred?

Davis will receive annual deferred payments of $3.5 million from 2023-32 and annual payments of $1.4 million from 2033-37. 

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Davis also said this:

“My desire to play has nothing to do with the amount of money that I’m owed or the amount of money I’m going to make. I want to play the game because I feel that I can still compete,” Davis said.

“I enjoy playing the game. I want to play the game, not only for myself, but for my teammates, for our fan base, for the people of Baltimore. I still feel like there’s something that I have left to give. And to be honest with you, I don’t really want my career to end on the note that it’s on right now.”

So, I don’t think it’s fair to interpret the other Davis statements as some kind of proverbial middle finger.    

The fan base, the people of Baltimore:  We're good!  Please don't "give" any more. 

• Haha 1

I've always thought he was a good guy who could not be blamed for being offered a bad contract. I have to say, I am at the point where I would join the boo birds if we had people in the stands. Just agree to a buyout where the team gets a discount and you don't have to spend 80+ days a year on the road away from your family. As it is, there are no winners here. It all stinks. 

19 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

The thing is, the more he plays, the less value he provides.  He provides the "most" value when he doesn't play at all.