MLB: Most underrated top prospects include talents from Cubs, Mets, Orioles

Roll Tide

6 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

DJ Stewart hasn't exactly been the most graceful fielder in his brief MLB career. I think Mountcastle is capable of being an adequate LF. 

317c2dc0-79a7-46b5-b76d-bc6a4ba3adae-GTY

I've seen enough out of Stewart in the outfield. 

I get it, one gaffe...probably every MLB outfielder has had one.  But since his initial one, he seems to turn every fly ball into an adventure.  

23 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

DJ Stewart hasn't exactly been the most graceful fielder in his brief MLB career. I think Mountcastle is capable of being an adequate LF. 

317c2dc0-79a7-46b5-b76d-bc6a4ba3adae-GTY

Well of course he needs to get opportunity, but defense is defense. I can’t think of any reason that experience in left field at AAA is any different than left field in the majors. I don’t have any high hopes for Stewart, but MC is best at DH, especially If playing him in left denies the position to someone who is a defensive asset. 

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

Well of course he needs to get opportunity, but defense is defense. I can’t think of any reason that experience in left field at AAA is any different than left field in the majors. I don’t have any high hopes for Stewart, but MC is best at DH, especially If playing him in left denies the position to someone who is a defensive asset. 

Well if the Orioles have a better option for LF and Mountcastle is better suited at 1B/DH, then fine. I want the Orioles to challenge Mountcastle to see if he has what it takes to play LF for 120 games a year. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Well if the Orioles have a better option for LF and Mountcastle is better suited at 1B/DH, then fine. I want the Orioles to challenge Mountcastle to see if he has what it takes to play LF for 120 games a year. 

I love how after 25 games in the majors in left, with decent metrics and 26 games in the minors that he didn't see a poster is willing to make a blanket statement like "MC is best at DH".  This despite the fact that Mountcastle has never started a game at DH and that we have zero idea of how it might effect his hitting.

This is of course after how they were complaining about getting push back for being critical.  Geez I wonder why you are getting push back?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

This despite the fact that Mountcastle has never started a game at DH and that we have zero idea of how it might effect his hitting.

I think this it's called the "Mark Trumbo Effect". Career .761 OPS, but that went down to .695 as a DH. Except Trumbo was best suited to DH or 1B.

I don't think the Orioles are ready to relegate Mountcastle to that role yet and they're not contending for the playoffs yet, so give Mountcastle a chance to prove himself in the outfield. 

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think this it's called the "Mark Trumbo Effect". Career .761 OPS, but that went down to .695 as a DH. Except Trumbo was best suited to DH or 1B.

I don't think the Orioles are ready to relegate Mountcastle to that role yet and they're not contending for the playoffs yet, so give Mountcastle a chance to prove himself in the outfield. 

It isn't just Trumbo, most players see a decrease in offensive performance when they DH.

I think folks that work for the Orioles understand that it isn't feasible to have plus defenders at every position and have a keen grasp at how to balance offense and defense on the diamond.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It isn't just Trumbo, most players see a decrease in offensive performance when they DH.

I think folks that work for the Orioles understand that it isn't feasible to have plus defenders at every position and have a keen grasp at how to balance offense and defense on the diamond.

I know, but Trumbo has one of the more glaring splits I can remember. Mancini has (albeit in a much shorter career) has a career .819 OPS but .871 at DH. Again it's only 234 career PA's at DH, so give it time and it will likely go down. 

Unless MC completely embarrasses himself in LF, the O's should give him every chance before casting MC as a 1B/DH.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I love how after 25 games in the majors in left, with decent metrics and 26 games in the minors that he didn't see a poster is willing to make a blanket statement like "MC is best at DH".  This despite the fact that Mountcastle has never started a game at DH and that we have zero idea of how it might effect his hitting.

Correct.  Mountcastle should not be the DH.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

All right, fair enough. I think the answer to that is already established. But as I was with Sisco, I’m perfectly willing to be convinced that he can handle the job.

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

All right, fair enough. I think the answer to that is already established. But as I was with Sisco, I’m perfectly willing to be convinced that he can handle the job.

Right, which is why you are already declaring him a DH.  Because you are perfectly willing to be convinced.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

This is of course after how they were complaining about getting push back for being critical.  Geez I wonder why you are getting push back?

I don't get the constant attacks on his defense either. I'm not sure why he can't continue to grow into the position. I think that's our best option with Mancini at first and DH open for several others to get at bats.

3 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I don't get the constant attacks on his defense either. I'm not sure why he can't continue to grow into the position. I think that's our best option with Mancini at first and DH open for several others to get at bats.

He should at least get a fair chance to fail.

• Upvote 1