Realistic Competitive Date

Bahama O's Fan

Seriously, I think our pitching, from top to bottom, will be good. Perhaps not outstanding or elite, but definitely middle third. Defense will still be bottom third, it all depends on the offense.

I don’t think we’re going to have a winning record, but I do think we’re going to hit 70, and I think we will have some runs that lead people to at least consider us as contenders for a portion of the season.

Just now, wildcard said:

To REALLY be competitive, that sounds about right. Our youngsters now, Mouncastle, Hays, Santander (if he's still here...) Akin, Kremer, HH, they will all be grizzled veterans by then. Other pitching prospects (TINSTAAPP) will have a year-ish ML experience. Davis will be finally gone so the budget will (presumably) be wide open. We could put a really good team on the field by then.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Philip said:

Seriously, I think our pitching, from top to bottom, will be good. Perhaps not outstanding or elite, but definitely middle third. Defense will still be bottom third, it all depends on the offense.

I don’t think we’re going to have a winning record, but I do think we’re going to hit 70, and I think we will have some runs that lead people to at least consider us as contenders for a portion of the season.

We did that some this past year. Tribute to our young talent AND a tribute to Brandon Hyde instilling that NEVER give up! attitude.

9/1/2021, or any day Means, Kremer, Baumann, Hall and Grayson start 5 straight games.   After the trade deadline we should have a fair view of whether to invest 40-man slots for cups of coffee for the Big Two should they be able to earn that consideration.

I'm hopeful they will put Eastern League hitters in approximately as much trouble as Adley puts opposing pitchers from Day 1.

Realistically I think it's a crap shoot as to if we get there at all.

The division is just too rough.  The Rays are beating us in on the field talent and in the minors, the Yankees and the Red Sox have close to unlimited spending ability and the Jays think their window is currently open.

Some stuff is going to have the break the O's way no matter how good a job Elias does.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Realistically I think it's a crap shoot as to if we get there at all.

The division is just too rough.  The Rays are beating us in on the field talent and in the minors, the Yankees and the Red Sox have close to unlimited spending ability and the Jays think their window is currently open.

Some stuff is going to have the break the O's way no matter how good a job Elias does.

There’s a lot of truth to this.   But good teams will find a way to win.   

I think we can be a .500+ team in 2022, and contend more seriously in 2023, if things break our way.    But yes, they’ll have to break our way.   

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There’s a lot of truth to this.   But good teams will find a way to win.   

I think we can be a .500+ team in 2022, and contend more seriously in 2023, if things break our way.    But yes, they’ll have to break our way.   

Obviously WC contention is a lot more likely than a division title.