Realistic Competitive Date

Bahama O's Fan

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

But how much do you have to give these guys?  8/240 or more?  That’s not very interesting to me.  Would rather go 6/200 or 5/190.

On this part of it, the raw numbers themselves are academic with too many unknowns in the world, even just the CBA angle of it.   It is just the principle of choosing to compete at the Going Rate for some ballplayer of proven brilliance.

5 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

My question in the OP is not when we will actually compete nor when we think we will compete. The question is when do we think Elias and co. are targeting to contend for the division title.

I don't think Mike Elias knows if there are 10 or 16 playoff teams in 2022.   Division titles may be irrelevant.

I think this year brings into focus the baseline (core) for a competitive team. After that Elias will churn a million bodies in trades to supplement. We may add a couple of FA's, but we're in la la land if we think their names will be Lindor or Seager. This is a franchise that will grow or trade for elite talent.

We'll only sign elite talent on the market if/when it's really depressed for one reason or another, which does happen here and there. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

I think this year brings into focus the baseline (core) for a competitive team. After that Elias will churn a million bodies in trades to supplement. We may add a couple of FA's, but we're in la la land if we think their names will be Lindor or Seager. This is a franchise that will grow or trade for elite talent.

We'll only sign elite talent on the market if/when it's really depressed for one reason or another, which does happen here and there. 

I think this depends on who the next owner is, and I think all the signs are there that we will be seeing one in short order.