Jim Hunter officially gone

eddie83

I think Hunter was the rare combo of not being that great but also underrated by Os fans.

I personally didn’t like his homerism.  He was very over the top.

That being said, I think he’s a better PBP guy than Thorne.  He didn’t get players names wrong, was sober and didn’t have numerous other screw ups.  He was also a more excitable guy for homers and things like that.

Thorne is more reserved when it comes to that stuff.

Now, I also think Thorne was more honest about the team and where it was, so that I like a lot more.

• Haha 1

I remember when Mark Reynolds was waiting to see whether he would be tendered a contract.

Dan called him about 10 min to midnight to say “no.”

I don’t know whether it is common to wait til the last second to cut someone loose, but I remember thinking how disrespectful it was.

Jim Hunter was the least offensive  of the broadcasters. I would much prefer to get rid of almost any of the others. Bordick Brown and the new girl( I apologize for forgetting her name) have no virtues as radio voices.

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t care what your opinion was of him I just don’t get waiting basically 4 months after the season to tell him he wasn’t back.

Now if I could see the writing on the wall I’m sure he did as well. That said I don’t think you do that to a 24 year employee. 

Maybe they hadn't made a final decision and were waiting to see what the schedule looked like this year. There are so many factors with COVID potentially affected the schedule and travel that maybe they just didn't make a final decision?

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Charter member of the Orioles Propeller Hat Club.

Hunter was insufferable on TV, almost as insufferable as Michael Reghi.  Oddly enough, I found him to be decent on the radio.

Hunter's strength was his play by play ability which is why he was more tolerable on radio. It's just when he started talking narratively did he become excruciating.

I'll never forget the time he annoyed me in the first spring training game of the year on radio when he said, and I'm paraphrasing here a bit. "Chris Lee is one the Orioles top prospects and you can tell this by his 5-1 record at Bowie last year before getting injured." 

I facepalmed so hard I almost crashed me car. :D

Saying that, I don't want to kick a guy when he's down. While I'm not unhappy to see him go, I do appreciate his 24 years he gave to the organization. Oh, and he was a decent MC for opening day so I'll leave with something positive.

• Upvote 4

For those who can’t understand why I detest our announcers so much, this radio interview with Eric Nadel is brilliant and completely explains what the Oriole people are missing. It opens with one of my favorite calls, Nelson Cruz’ walk-off grand slam in 2011. If you’ve got 45 minutes, it’s a tremendous education.

https://think.kera.org/2019/03/21/behind-the-mic-with-the-voice-of-the-texas-rangers/

Among other things, he explains a lot of the process of announcing, including tonal inflection, how to deal with dead time, phrasing, and just listening to his voice demonstrates what the Os people lack.

Edited by Philip
Addendum
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'm expecting there will be additional broadcasters not brought back, they had a whole army platoon staffed for last season. 

I'll tell you, for me the Kevin Brown/Ben McDonald booth was the best last year. Geoff Arnold was also very good on TV and radio and I enjoyed Gregg Olson on the radio as an analyst. 

Kevin Brown is a future national broadcaster. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'll tell you, for me the Kevin Brown/Ben McDonald booth was the best last year. Geoff Arnold was also very good on TV and radio and I enjoyed Gregg Olson on the radio as an analyst. 

Kevin Brown is a future national broadcaster. 

No he’s not.