Trezza: Orioles 'listening,' but how likely is a trade?

Roll Tide

Mancini isn’t being dealt.  It’s just not realistic to think they will get an offer worth trading him for.

Santander could get dealt but it just depends on what Elias is looking for.  Is he looking for a fair deal based off of what Santander has been thus far or does he project him to be healthier and better than he has been and wants to be compensated that way?  

If it’s the former, I think Santander gets dealt.  If it’s the latter, he stays and is dealt at the deadline or the offseason.

Kind of a nothingburger of an article.  I mean, I know Trezza has to write stuff but it's just an article that encapsulates why Santander and Mancini could be traded or not be traded.

@Bahama O's Fan, Davis better not be playing at all.  IIRC, the rosters are 26 men but we're essentially playing with a 25 man roster because Davis is worthless.

• Upvote 1

Just now, MurphDogg said:

I think he will find a pothole that causes a nagging injury. I don't see him spending much time on the active roster.

Hope so.  I imagine the O's will want to se that 26th spot for an extra arm, extra useful bench player, and not have it clogged up with the baseball waste that is Chris Davis.

4 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Hope so.  I imagine the O's will want to se that 26th spot for an extra arm, extra useful bench player, and not have it clogged up with the baseball waste that is Chris Davis.

The thing with Davis is, even if he somehow were to be decent again, it STILL wouldn't be worth playing him because they need to get at-bats for Mountcastle, Santander, Mancini and Stewart at the LF/RF/1B/DH spots.

I don't think Stewart will be a contributor to the team when they hope to contend (say, 2023), but it is at least theoretically possible as a first year arbitration eligible player that he could be around in 2023. He should get as many at-bats as possible until Yusniel Diaz comes up and takes his spot as another guy who is probably not good enough to be a starter for a team with playoff ambitions.

Likewise with Mancini, who will be a free agent after 2022, he should either be traded or extended within the next year and should play as much as his health allows.

24 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I think he will find a pothole that causes a nagging injury. I don't see him spending much time on the active roster.

Maybe I’m being too optimistic but I’m hoping he is released as soon as there’s clarity whether they have to pay the entire salary or if the season is shortened this year. 

3 minutes ago, oriole said:

Maybe I’m being too optimistic but I’m hoping he is released as soon as there’s clarity whether they have to pay the entire salary or if the season is shortened this year. 

I doubt it. There is labor uncertainty for 2022, which could further save money if games are missed and he is still on the roster.

I don't think he gets released until a new CBA is signed.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

The thing with Davis is, even if he somehow were to be decent again, it STILL wouldn't be worth playing him because they need to get at-bats for Mountcastle, Santander, Mancini and Stewart at the LF/RF/1B/DH spots.

I don't think Stewart will be a contributor to the team when they hope to contend (say, 2023), but it is at least theoretically possible as a first year arbitration eligible player that he could be around in 2023. He should get as many at-bats as possible until Yusniel Diaz comes up and takes his spot as another guy who is probably not good enough to be a starter for a team with playoff ambitions.

Likewise with Mancini, who will be a free agent after 2022, he should either be traded or extended within the next year and should play as much as his health allows.

I agree with all of this.

15 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

If the hope is that Davis pulls his back shoveling his driveway (I KNOW he lives in Texas, shush) then why not just cut bait and let him go.  Its lost money any way you cut it.

I think the possibility is if the league plays less games due to COVID and he is on the roster, he gets paid a prorated salary. If they release him, he gets the full salary, no matter the amount of games played

5 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Seems like the returns will have to substantial for a trade to be made. If the Marlins, Braves etc were hoping for a salary dump discount it’s not happening.

https://www.mlb.com/news/orioles-general-manager-mike-elias-on-trade-rumors

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Kind of a nothingburger of an article.  I mean, I know Trezza has to write stuff but it's just an article that encapsulates why Santander and Mancini could be traded or not be traded.

@Bahama O's Fan, Davis better not be playing at all.  IIRC, the rosters are 26 men but we're essentially playing with a 25 man roster because Davis is worthless.

Considering we cut pre/psot game shows, announcers, coaches and seems like they are limited dollars all over, it's good that it isn't purely dumping for dumping purposes.  Iglesias bought some guys that are interesting (even if there is a dump element...).

We spent in J2 and are at least keeping the value we have without cutting loose for nothing. 

It's a small something, but when they asked these guys to take deferments, I wasn't sure they wouldn't just trade for scraps.  Now tomorrow he could trade for scraps and call them diamonds in the rough, but at least some things might be ok to spend a little on...