Arbitration Hearings

NCRaven

37 minutes ago, weams said:

None of the Orioles' cost-cutting moves so far this offseason- releasing Nunez and Alberto, trading Iglesias and Cobb, etc.- have really upset me all that much, but trading Santander for anything less than a WOW offer when he has 4 years of control left and looks like he could be a legitimate building block for 2022/2023 when the Orioles might actually have a shot at being competitive would definitely do so. 

• Like 2

Can Santander stay healthy?  I know people want to beat the drum on a will the O’s extend/pay a player, but is he the guy though?  He’s been hurt parts of the last 5 seasons. You can’t build around someone that is on the DL. If we get a good return offered for him we should definitely look to move him. 

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Can Santander stay healthy?  I know people want to beat the drum on a will the O’s extend/pay a player, but is he the guy though?  He’s been hurt parts of the last 5 seasons. You can’t build around someone that is on the DL. If we get a good return offered for him we should definitely look to move him. 

In light of how well Santander has generally played when healthy over the last 2 years, and the aberration that was the structure of the 2020 season, I would like to see him get a crack at a full regular(ish) season in 2021 unless, like I said, they receive a bonafide WOW offer from the Marlins (or someone else). A guy in the 15-20 organizational prospect range, a guy in the 20-30 range, and a low minors lottery ticket or two would not impress me all that much for a guy that has flashed as much upside as Santander has at his age with 4 full years of team control remaining.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Not to split hairs, but he was not hurt at all in 2019.   He played 141 games between the majors and the minors that year, and was never on the IL.    

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I looked at the Angels prospects Jones was the obvious choice.  He was blocked at the ML level even though he was ML ready.  Many of their other top prospects were very far down in the system or just recently drafted.  The choice is not nearly so obvious with the Marlins.  Sixto Sanchez and JJ Bleday are obviously not going to be included.  They do have some interesting pitching, so that is where we'd be likely to do our fishing to see what we could catch, so to speak.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

They do have some interesting pitching, so that is where we'd be likely to do our fishing to see what we could catch, so to speak.

I sea what you did there ?

But yeah, I would ask for a package built around one of Braxton Garrett or Trevor Rogers, who are both near-MLB ready SPs and are their 4th and 5th highest ranked pitching prospects per MLB.com's rankings, which I don't think is an unreasonable starting point given Santander's age, ability, accomplishments, and amount of control remaining. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

Not to split hairs, but he was not hurt at all in 2019.   He played 141 games between the majors and the minors that year, and was never on the IL.    

Yeah .... guys seem to get obsessed here with the injury take.

I wonder if we could get Devers #13,  Eder #23, and Campbell #25. I really like and it would be another MI to add to the pile