MLB, MLBPA agree to health protocols, 7-inning doubleheaders, runners on second in extras

connja

57 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

So with these rules (7 inning double-headers and starting extra innings with a runner on second base) will see the first perfect game loss from a pitcher?

Starting pitcher goes out to pitch the eighth inning in a 0-0 tie and he has been perfect through 7 (in a double-header game).  Opposing teams starts with a runner at second.  First batter grounds to second and the runner advances.  Second batter hits a sacrifice fly, and the runner scores.  Pitcher still has a perfect game in tact, but loses the game 1-0.

CtSI9Ix1AjF9NXVXh1qSq5mPcohY6AUXKWzF1Qw_

2 hours ago, scOtt said:

I'm a diehard purist. I think electronic umpires are the DEBBIL'S work!

But I like both of those things. Especially the runner on 2nd. Made for an EXCITING extra innings.

Sucked to be the visiting team tho...

Ha, I'm the opposite. I'm all for an electronic strike zone, but those other two ideas being implemented bring out the baseball purist in me. 

Okay, just for the fun of it, here's my thoughts for extra innings.

1: Expand rosters to 26 or 28.

2: For extra innings, play a normal 10th inning. But beginning in the 11th inning, start with a man on second and allow teams to use pinch hitters and pinch runners without having to remove fielders from the lineup.

3: Also beginning in the 11th inning, any player that was removed from the game during the previous nine innings is reinstated. So a player who was removed for a defensive replacement in the 8th or 9th inning could pinch hit for that same replacement player beginning in the 11th inning without the defensive player being removed from the game.

4: I'd keep the rule requiring pitchers to face a minimum of three batters. I think this would favor having players on the expanded roster be plus hitters, fast runners or stellar defensive players. 

5: If we want shorter 9-inning games, then incentivize complete games and stretching starters in this way- if a starter gets to the 8th inning, then a batter will strike out after the 7th foul ball. If a starter makes it to the 9th inning or later, then the batter strikes out after the 5th foul ball. Then perhaps Grayson Rodriguez will throw more complete games than Jim Palmer did, lol.

Edited by linedrive
Clarification
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, scOtt said:

It was awesome for me but only because I got home from work at 11:30, and still got to watch 8 innings of baseball!

Or was that the Seattle game?

That was Seattle.  Davis' win started at 1 or 2 in the afternoon on a Sunday and lasted until well after dinner.  I started watching at home, went to my parents' house for dinner, played outside with the kids, ate dinner, came home after dinner, and it didn't end for another hour or so.  I'm sure I watched 3-4 hours live and followed on the radio/phone for another 3+.

8 hours ago, linedrive said:

Okay, just for the fun of it, here's my thoughts for extra innings.

1: Expand rosters to 26 or 28.

2: For extra innings, play a normal 10th inning. But beginning in the 11th inning, start with a man on second and allow teams to use pinch hitters and pinch runners without having to remove fielders from the lineup.

3: Also beginning in the 11th inning, any player that was removed from the game during the previous nine innings is reinstated. So a player who was removed for a defensive replacement in the 8th or 9th inning could pinch hit for that same replacement player beginning in the 11th inning without the defensive player being removed from the game.

4: I'd keep the rule requiring pitchers to face a minimum of three batters. I think this would favor having players on the expanded roster be plus hitters, fast runners or stellar defensive players. 

5: If we want shorter 9-inning games, then incentivize complete games and stretching starters in this way- if a starter gets to the 8th inning, then a batter will strike out after the 7th foul ball. If a starter makes it to the 9th inning or later, then the batter strikes out after the 5th foul ball. Then perhaps Grayson Rodriguez will throw more complete games than Jim Palmer did, lol.

Or... anything that's tied after 10 or 11 innings stands as a draw.  In postseason or other elimination games you just keep playing.

My respect for MLB would go up a ton if they came out and said "You don't like ties?  Fine, win or lose he game in the normal amount of innings. The end."

Here's what I've been able to find out about the roster rules in 2021:

-- 26 man MLB roster from Opening Day to September 1

-- 28 man MLB roster starting September 1

-- 5 man taxi squad from minors or "alternate training site" can accompany team on each road trip; at least 1 must be a catcher.  They can't dress for games unless activated

-- if you put someone on the Covid Inactive list, you can replace them with anyone from your minors, without regard to them being on the 40 man roster or not, and without any penalty or using a player's options, or having to waive or DFA or outright him off the roster when you send the replacement guy back down to the minors.

• Upvote 1