ST Game 1 takeaways?

HowAboutThat

Observations:

None of the pitchers from yesterday are expected to be on the opening day roster.    Most are non rostered and Mattson has not pitched at AAA yet.

Connor Greene hit 97 mph,    Mattson hit  96 mph

Diaz struck out on a 95 mph fastball.  He crushed an off speed pitch for a homer.

46 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Observations:

None of the pitchers from yesterday are expected to be on the opening day roster.    Most are non rostered and Mattson has not pitched at AAA yet.

Diaz struck out on a 95 mph fastball.  He crushed an off speed pitch for a homer.

Greene has ML experience and throws very hard. He won’t make OD, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he developed a bit and we see him during the season. He’s only 25. I have no idea what his problem is, but I’m increasingly believing in the Team’s ability to fix problems.

19 minutes ago, Philip said:

Greene has ML experience and throws very hard. He won’t make OD, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he developed a bit and we see him during the season. He’s only 25. I have no idea what his problem is, but I’m increasingly believing in the Team’s ability to fix problems.

According to Baseball Reference Connor Greene has never pitched in a major league game.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=greene000con

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Observations:

Mattson hitting 96 is nice to hear. That is much higher than I've heard of him pitching in the past. 

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

According to Baseball Reference Connor Greene has never pitched in a major league game.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=greene000con

I looked up his stats and it appeared he did. Ill Look again.

Yes he has 16 major league innings. Not GOOD innings, but still...

Edited by Philip

30 minutes ago, SteveA said:

So Mark Viviano was on 105.7 this morning and said he was at the game, and he said that Chris Davis lollygagged to first on a fly ball that was dropped and as a result was extremely lucky to get to second base.

I wonder if “lollygagging” is the “mystery” to which Davis was alluding in his interview with Connolly.

10 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I saw it too and I think he has added about 20 pounds of muscle from the guy I saw when he was acquired.  He looks like a professional player now.

Just hope he hasn’t added too much bulk.

I noticed the #23 thing too.  Thought it was interesting. 

Not to over-read into the jersey number thing, watching Lowther's inning just now I did notice Tyler Nevin got 41.   Maybe with no minor league camp anyone who is there gets a somewhat more normal number, but 23 is awfully nice.   Lowther had 59.

Thanks SteveA for the DVR tip; the Phillies feed bottom 4th was just their guys gabbing with Girardi.   It was my first time seeing Lowther at all with MLB broadcast level video.   Believe I saw Orioles 30 Clubs in 30 Days is Thursday.

The first thing that jumped out at me was Lowther's set position looked like a 45 degree angle halfway between windup and stretch.   He was probably fortunate yesterday to get the line he did.

Batter 1 flew out to right

Batter 2 singled on first pitch

McCutchen walked

Segura very hot shot to 3rd base - nice play by Ruiz to get force at 2nd

Knapp fly out to deep left - Girardi oohiing/aahing for 3-run HR before RMC caught at base of wall.

Lowther was nibbling too much and getting behind in counts instead of trusting his stuff in the zone. When he attacked the zone, as he did in the first ab of the inning he induced weak contact. Learning what you can get away with against ML caliber hitters is going to be important for his development.

• Upvote 1