Maikel Franco Deal with Os Final

LookinUp

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I dont feel his defense is that much worse than Ruiz.  Let’s not pretend Ruiz is some GG level player.

No one said Ruiz is a GG 3B. But he is a much better defender. I will be happy if Franco can just turn outs into outs. Make the routine play, but he struggles with that at times. 

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Franco can provide some decent offense.  He adds some pop to the lineup.  I'm not mad at it.

I hope it gets done.

Yeah, I watched a highlight reel on youboob the other night, and that's the caveat... HIGHLIGHT reel. But yeah, he does have good power when he gets it. Even to right center some. Better more seasoned MLer. I'm good if he's cheap.

His D looked real slick on that too but we'll see about that.....

5 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Yeah, I watched a highlight reel on youboob the other night, and that's the caveat... HIGHLIGHT reel. But yeah, he does have good power when he gets it. Even to right center some. Better more seasoned MLer. I'm good if he's cheap.

His D looked real slick on that too but we'll see about that.....

I've seen reports of 1/$1.2 million on Twitter, but not a source that's good enough that I would post it on here. That's a very reasonable price for a 3B that could hit 25+ home runs and (hopefully) play adequate defense. 

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I've seen reports of 1/$1.2 million on Twitter, but not a source that's good enough that I would post it on here. That's a very reasonable price for a 3B that could hit 25+ home runs and (hopefully) play adequate defense. 

I'm willing to give up some defense on the corners. We're good to very good up the middle, especially if you don't count catcher as "up the middle."

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Would be curious if they have really soured on Riuz during camp or they were waiting out to see what happened with him and the price tag all along. 

Ruiz' mystery illness will set him back for Opening Day some too. Altho Maikel is just starting his full-on ST too.

2 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I'm willing to give up some defense on the corners. We're good to very good up the middle, especially if you don't count catcher as "up the middle."

I'm telling you it is all part of the plan to get the pitchers to strike out more hitters.  If they think the guy at third can cleanly field a ground ball they'll pitch to contact.

• Haha 1

Just now, scOtt said:

Ruiz' mystery illness will set him back for Opening Day some too. Altho Maikel is just starting his full-on ST too.

Yeah. I think he is suppose to play tomorrow.

Going to take some time to get Franco ready. Season is here soon. Little over 2 weeks away. Perhaps that helps Ruiz stay around if they are worried about Franco being ready or not. Perhaps. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Going to take some time to get Franco ready. Season is here soon. Little over 2 weeks away. Perhaps that helps Ruiz stay around if they are worried about Franco being ready or not. Perhaps. 

Well Davis can always go on the injured list with a nagging back injury. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I don't know what Franco's workouts recently have been. EVERY MLer I've seen interviewed says you can work out all you want, but you have to get in games, get reps, get your timing and your eye back. Have to get in "game shape." Two weeks to go for either Franco or Ruiz.

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Well Davis can always go on the injured list with a nagging back injury. 

That’s just it. They were going to have to carry him as a bench player, now they don’t. I’m sure once he is ready they will slow play him. Not like MiL season starts on time for a rehab assignment either.  

Do they think they need 14 arms or 13? If DJ is healthy, Mullins, C and Valaika is your bench for 3 spots. Urias has looked ok in spring as well. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

That’s just it. They were going to have to carry him as a bench player, now they don’t. I’m sure once he is ready they will slow play him. Not like MiL season starts on time for a rehab assignment either.  

Do they think they need 14 arms or 13? If DJ is healthy, Mullins, C and Valaika is your bench for 3 spots. Urias has looked ok in spring as well. 

I think the O's are leaning towards carrying 14 pitchers with the lack of quality starters on the roster, and that really places the O's in a hard spot with carrying Davis on the roster.