PSA: Dish Network Dropping MASN 4/1/2021

DoughBoy52

I knew my 2-year agreement with Dish was running out soon so I logged in and found a banner stating that Dish Network is dropping MASN effective 4/1/2021.  Perfect timing for opening day!  If only MASN would get their act together and be more available through streaming.  It looks like the only streaming service that has MASN is AT&T TV.  Anyone have any experience with AT&T TV?

11 minutes ago, DoughBoy52 said:

I knew my 2-year agreement with Dish was running out soon so I logged in and found a banner stating that Dish Network is dropping MASN effective 4/1/2021.  Perfect timing for opening day!  If only MASN would get their act together and be more available through streaming.  It looks like the only streaming service that has MASN is AT&T TV.  Anyone have any experience with AT&T TV?

I used to have it. It got pretty expensive $85 a month for the package I wanted. The quality was good. No issues at all. not easy to go from channel to channel (no channel numbers) but they are all like that. It was data free if you have At&T mobile service.  No 4K at the time. Not sure about now. 

• Thanks 1

It seems that way.  I think they're also dropping NBC Sports Washington and NBC Sports for Oakland bay area. 

I'm running out of options to watch the O's.  AT&T TV looks to be the cheapest, and it's not exactly cheap.  Amazingly, adding AT&T TV is cheaper than bundling Fios TV with the internet I already have.  I'd gladly hand MASN $15-20/mo on its own if I could not pay for all the other junk I don't need.

I am also a Dish customer.  I called and spoke with a representative regarding the removal of MASN.  He could not find any evidence of that being the case.  He mentioned the other NBC Sports networks, but had no notes on MASN being removed.

I also saw an interaction on Twitter with a user saying he saw that same ad when going to pay his bill.  A fellow user replied to that and said a Dish rep stated that the message on the website was fake.  So hopefully this is good news but I don't know why a fake message would be circulating.

12 minutes ago, NCSUFreak2006 said:

I am also a Dish customer.  I called and spoke with a representative regarding the removal of MASN.  He could not find any evidence of that being the case.  He mentioned the other NBC Sports networks, but had no notes on MASN being removed.

I also saw an interaction on Twitter with a user saying he saw that same ad when going to pay his bill.  A fellow user replied to that and said a Dish rep stated that the message on the website was fake.  So hopefully this is good news but I don't know why a fake message would be circulating.

I can only find mention of NBC Sports regional channels getting dropped, but nothing on MASN.

https://barrettsportsmedia.com/2021/03/04/dish-sling-to-drop-nbc-sports-rsns-in-april/

22 hours ago, NCSUFreak2006 said:

That’s interesting. You’d think they’d get their story straight. Still showing when I logged into my account this morning  

I've wondered for years with all of the WBAL2's and WJZ2 why they don't simulcast RSN's to those channels and just totally bypass the cable/dish companies.  Would suck for out of town fans, but that's gotta be a tiny part (not unworthy) of the fan base. 

Dish was great when we had it, but they really pissed me off when they would refuse to pay carriage rates and then have to drop them until they got a new deal inked.  Plus, I don't think they ever learned that UM transferred to the Big10 because the Terp games were always blocked on Big10 Network even when not on locally.  Called and called and all they said was they had rules to follow.  When we moved, I went to Verizon and now Comcast.  We'll continue to do the two year rotation between the two forever now because they don't try to keep you by giving the same rates, they just up you to normal rates which are usually $100 more per month.  But I digress.

Weren't they supposed to have they app up by now anyway?  I would think also that even the most basic tv on either Comcast or Verizon would carry it, definitely with a sports pack...

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

I've wondered for years with all of the WBAL2's and WJZ2 why they don't simulcast RSN's to those channels and just totally bypass the cable/dish companies.  Would suck for out of town fans, but that's gotta be a tiny part (not unworthy) of the fan base. 

No way.   The value of all of it for MASN (aka the Orioles) is to have the cable network and sell the 'carriage' to the cable and satellite companies for the monthly carriage fee PER SUBSCRIBER.  EXAMPLE -- Let's say you have Comcast and 20 of the other 23 houses in your neighborhood (in MD, DC, VA, NC, DE, WV, southcentral PA) have Comcast, and the other three houses have DirectTV.  But of the 24 total houses in your neighbhorhood, only 5 of the 24 houses ever turn on MASN in a given month --- well, it doesn't matter because every Comcast household, every DirectTV household, etc, that service provider pays MASN a monthly fee for every single household in the MASN territory.  (and its 12 months per year!!    MASN has trash programming from October through March, so much so that its very possible to go the entire fall and winter with ever turning MASN on, yet MASN still gets the monthly carriage fee for every single household that gets MASN, whether that household ever turns on the station or now).    Having an RSN on a cable or satellite system is printing money.    That's probably also why MASN stopped simulcasting those 50 or 60 games on WJZ -- push everyone to cable and suck up the monthly carriage fees (instead of buying the time on WJZ to broadcast those games).