DJ Stewart..breakout candidate?

Sports Guy

18 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Have not seen any this spring.

Really hard to draw conclusions on this based on spring stats.   However, so far this spring, teams are hitting 1.07 homers per game, compared to 1.28 in the regular season last year.    So, I guess that’s some indication the power numbers could be down.    

As to whether some players will be impacted more than others, who knows?   I guess I’d say if Stewart had a league average drop in power, that would not hurt his value.    It’s only if he has a drop that is separate from the league wide drop that would make him less valuable.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Really hard to draw conclusions on this based on spring stats.   However, so far this spring, teams are hitting 1.07 homers per game, compared to 1.28 in the regular season last year.    So, I guess that’s some indication the power numbers could be down.    

As to whether some players will be impacted more than others, who knows?   I guess I’d say if Stewart had a league average drop in power, that would not hurt his value.    It’s only if he has a drop that is separate from the league wide drop that would make him less valuable.   

Of course some players will be impacted more than others. 

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Hyde said today that DJ is not quite ready for game action yet and that time is quickly running out on him being able to get enough prep time to be on the Opening Day roster.

Yea, rushing DJ out there before he's ready could negatively impact the team's chances to win games.  Could come back to haunt them in September.

11 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Hyde said today that DJ is not quite ready for game action yet and that time is quickly running out on him being able to get enough prep time to be on the Opening Day roster.

So the next question is does this increase the odds of carrying an extra pitcher or someone like Urias?  We still don’t know if Franco will be there on Opening Day. 

Ability to hit a fastball at least reasonably good should be basic to ones future MLB value.  Makes me wonder what the scouts, etc. saw in these so called prospects to sign them rather than people who are good at the game of baseball.   Other teams seem to choose their share of good baseball players.  Oh wait, the emphasis has been on Pitching in recent years.  I feel better , because that must mean our near and far distant Pitching must be in good shape. Well,  it should work that way.  

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s nothing more than a role player either way but he can be a valuable guy making no money for a while.  

What do you mean either way? I'm pretty sure if he hit fastballs at a league average rate and played average defense while keeping his barrel% and walk rate where they are, he'd be a lot more than a role-player

I have been mostly Glass Half Empty because of Stewart's contact rate in Zone/fastball thing, but hat tip to Petriello I didn't realize the Glass Half Full case was quite that full.    I'm a bit more excited to see him DH'ing in April than I was this morning.

But if he needs an extra week or two, and the Opening Day look is LF Mountcastle, 1B Mancini, does that make Ruiz/Valaika platoon DH to start the year?  I guess either of those can 1B too if Trey wants DH any given day.

19 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

What do you mean either way? I'm pretty sure if he hit fastballs at a league average rate and played average defense while keeping his barrel% and walk rate where they are, he'd be a lot more than a role-player

I have a hard time thinking he can be an average defender. 

Also, holy cow bat him 1st against any RHSP with more pitchability than velocity.

Roark/Stripling as long as that lasts, so much Kluber, the echoes of whatever Archer/Wacha used to be.  In division Pivetta an interesting fastball for him to pass/fail generally league wide depending on if he can threaten - I believe he also is a Control not Command profile where Bats will get some fastballs to hit.

He could even maybe be one of those platoon for velocity not handedness for the Ryu/Rich Hill types.

9 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I have been mostly Glass Half Empty because of Stewart's contact rate in Zone/fastball thing, but hat tip to Petriello I didn't realize the Glass Half Full case was quite that full.    I'm a bit more excited to see him DH'ing in April than I was this morning.

But if he needs an extra week or two, and the Opening Day look is LF Mountcastle, 1B Mancini, does that make Ruiz/Valaika platoon DH to start the year?  I guess either of those can 1B too if Trey wants DH any given day.

I am sure Mountcastle will play some LF but Hays, Mullins and Santander are pushing him toward DH.   His defense in left this spring has been inconsistent.   That could impact Stewart ability to get at bats.

Just now, wildcard said:

I am sure Mountcastle will play some LF but Hays, Mullins and Santander are pushing him toward DH.   His defense in left this spring has been inconsistent.   That could impact Stewart ability to get at bats.

Every outfielder's defense is inconsistent in the grapefruit league.

Have you ever been down here in March?

• Upvote 1