Pay attention to starters this week

Tony-OH

18 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't think Elias/Hyde/Holt are happy with what they have seen from Akin/LeBlanc/Lopez in the 5th starter competition so they are adding another competitor in Valdez..   Now its up to Valdez to win the 5th starter role with his next two ST starts.

How could anyone not be happy with what they have seen from LeBlanc? 2.25 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, .103 BA against, 0 HR, 7.9 K/9...

You notwithstanding, of course ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Why start Lopez yesterday if he is clearly a pen guy? 

Lopez had pitched 3  innings in three straight games and allowed 1 earned run going into yesterday game.   He deserved a chance to pitch 4 good innings and stay in the starter competition.  But he didn't perform well in the 3rd and it cost him the opportunity to complete 4 innings.

35 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Huh?

Why would you think tomorrow is an auction for the the starter's job when Valdez is starting and Hyde said it's a bullpen game? On top of it, I just showed how things are lining up and tomorrow lines up with an offday ten days from then.

“Audition”

5 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

How could anyone not be happy with what they have seen from LeBlanc? 2.25 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, .103 BA against, 0 HR, 7.9 K/9...

You notwithstanding, of course ?

LeBlanc has a track record.  5.71 ERA in 2019,  8.06 ERA in 2020.  He is 36 years old  He is a soft tosser in the AL East which doesn't work real well.   They have not allowed him to go 4 innings.  I think they want him in long relief.   I am not saying that he will not start some games this year but I think they would like someone better if they can find someone

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

LeBlanc has a track record.  5.71 ERA in 2019,  8.06 ERA in 2020.  He is 36 years old  He is a soft tosser in the AL East which doesn't work real well.   They have not allowed him to go 4 innings.  I think they want him in long relief.   I am not saying that he will not start some games this year but I think they would like someone better if they can find someone

Not going to let you move the goalposts. You were clearly talking about Spring Training performance.

I don't think Elias/Hyde/Holt are happy with what they have seen from Akin/LeBlanc/Lopez in the 5th starter competition

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Meanwhile, 8 guys have started games. Felix is injured, Eshelman has thrown exactly one inning this Spring. So the last two slots come down to Harvey, Akin and LeBlanc. If your argument is how many innings they have allowed pitchers to work, then Akin is out with a total of 6.2 innings over three appearances. By your argument, LeBlanc gets the fifth spot in the rotation.

2 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Meanwhile, 8 guys have started games. Felix is injured, Eshelman has thrown exactly one inning this Spring. So the last two slots come down to Harvey, Akin and LeBlanc. If your argument is how many innings they have allowed pitchers to work, the Akin is out with a total of 6.2 innings over four appearances. By your argument, LeBlanc gets the fifth spot in the rotation.

If that is your opinion, that is fine. Far be it from me to try to change it.

We don't know how many innings these guys are getting outside of ST games.

I have explained why I think Valdez may get a chance to show he can start.   We will just have to see what happens.

I asked this in another thread, but with Means, Kremer, Harvey and Zimmerman, We have two each LH and RH.

Leblanc is LH, Lopez is RH. Akin is LH.

Is it a meaningful consideration whether we have three left handers or two left handers in the rotation?

If we don’t add them to the 40 man, do we risk Leblanc and Harvey opting out?

For the record, I think Harvey will be added, but I’m just asking to cover all the bases.

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I have explained why I think Valdez may get a chance to show he can start.   We will just have to see what happens.

Interesting argument. Valdez makes LeBlanc look like Steve Carlton. 

56 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Lopez had pitched 3  innings in three straight games and allowed 1 earned run going into yesterday game.   He deserved a chance to pitch 4 good innings and stay in the starter competition.  But he didn't perform well in the 3rd and it cost him the opportunity to complete 4 innings.

Right. I’m agreeing with you. 

36 minutes ago, Philip said:

I asked this in another thread, but with Means, Kremer, Harvey and Zimmerman, We have two each LH and RH.

Leblanc is LH, Lopez is RH. Akin is LH.

Is it a meaningful consideration whether we have three left handers or two left handers in the rotation?

If we don’t add them to the 40 man, do we risk Leblanc and Harvey opting out?

For the record, I think Harvey will be added, but I’m just asking to cover all the bases.

I don’t think the mix matters at all. It does make some sense to have a long man that is different from the starting being used that day.  

What’s the over/under on how many pitchers will start a game for the Orioles this year?

2016: 9 (8 made more than 10 starts)

2017: 11 (6)

2018: 14 (6)

2019: 18 (7)

2020: 10 (2) (60 game season)

I have a very hard time getting worked up about who’s in our Opening Day rotation given these numbers.   

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Valdez could start tomorrow, and on the 28th and be in line for a bullpen workout on the 2nd and the 5th starter role on April 7th.

I don't think Elias/Hyde/Holt are happy with what they have seen from Akin/LeBlanc/Lopez in the 5th starter competition so they are adding another competitor in Valdez..   Now its up to Valdez to win the 5th starter role with his next two ST starts.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Yes, LeBlanc has a track record as a starter for the Orioles. Why is it on track for Lopez to be named a starter if he only pitches 3 innings tomorrow but it says something negative about LeBlanc that has has already pitched 3 innings this Spring? And exactly what makes Valdez "better?"

2 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

Meanwhile, 8 guys have started games. Felix is injured, Eshelman has thrown exactly one inning this Spring. So the last two slots come down to Harvey, Akin and LeBlanc. If your argument is how many innings they have allowed pitchers to work, then Akin is out with a total of 6.2 innings over three appearances. By your argument, LeBlanc gets the fifth spot in the rotation.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

If that is your opinion, that is fine. Far be it from me to try to change it.

Which of us is citing opinions? I cited a few facts and made a guess of who is in the SP competition based on who has started at least one game - a valid basis. Last year for the Orioles, LeBlanc made 6 starts in 6 appearances, Lopez made 6 starts in 9 games, Akin started 6 games of 8 he played. Lopez started zero games in 9 appearances. He only pitched 3 innings in two of those games but that proves he is in your view a more likely starter than LeBlanc because Wade hasn't reached four innings yet this Spring. This seems like yet another episode of "wildcard Hates Wade," the new CNS sitcom following "Bob Loves Abeshola." Cue the laughtrack so the viewers know when to chuckle along

LeBlanc may be used in long relief and that's fine. But your opinions seem rooted in your hatred of LeBlanc, not on anything measurable from this Spring or from last season.

• Upvote 1