3 potential opt outs?

Legend_Of_Joey

5 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Fair warning: I do not have a subscription to The Athletic. If anyone does, that would be awesome. It might explain how certain pitchers have been used.

I don't either.

I hope this doesn't mean King Felix is going to opt out before Frobby gets to see him pitch for the Orioles.

4 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Wait, it never said it had to be pitchers.

Well, if Nick Cuiffo opts out tomorrow, more power to him.

If I were a good defensive catcher, and the Orioles looked at me and said, “Nah, we’d rather have who we got.” I’d be a little bit annoyed, too.

From the article:

Right-handers Matt Harvey and lefty Wade LeBlanc have a 24-hour period — starting Wednesday at 12:01 a.m. — to request their release or force the Orioles to place them on the 40-man roster.

If the clause is exercised by the players, the Orioles then would have 48 hours to process those requests and make the necessary additions or cuts — meaning Harvey’s and LeBlanc’s roster situations should be cleared up by Friday, maybe sooner.

A third veteran, Félix Hernández, who is currently dealing with right elbow discomfort and hasn’t pitched in a week, has a similar opt-out clause, but his cannot be exercised until Sunday, a source said.

• Thanks 4

My gut says that none of the three is going to opt out.

Looks like Harvey is guaranteed to be in the rotation, so he's not going anywhere.

Le Blanc could be anywhere from the rotation, to the pen to the alternate site and he's probably staying regardless for now; I get the feeling he and Elias have an honest relationship based on Elias believing Wade is valuable to an MLB team (probably not the only GM across the league) and Wade trusting he is not merely AAA fodder in Elias' eyes.

And an injured Felix? Where is he going to go if he opts out? Retirement?

The only question mark I see is LeBlanc, but I would not be surprised that if he does not get named to the OD roster, he has a promise to be brought up with in a certain range of time. And in exchange for that promise, he and his agent would be willing to extend his opt-out date by x-number of weeks. So if he does opt-out ultimately, it would be late-April/early-May. But my guess is that he is on the 40-man before then.