Eloy Jimenez out for 6 months...Santander?????//

Moose Milligan

34 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not sure how athletic Vaughn is...he certainly looks like a well built, in shape guy but I'd be wary of sticking a guy who's a 1B/DH type into the outfield this quickly for fear of pulling a hamstring or a quad when there are other outfielders at your disposal in ST.  I'm sure they can run someone else out there and keep Vaughn at a position where he doesn't have to run as much.

I'm not advocating doing it so much as pointing out the similarity with what the O's did with Mancini.  Not sure how putting a DH type into left field counts as "so weird".

Anyway La Russa is probably drunk.

• Haha 1

I’d rather see them trade Stewart. Maybe Stewart for Burger? Stewart honestly has no future here with so many outfielders and Burger is blocked by Moncada for the time being. Plus there is no imminent 3B prospect in the system outside of Bannon who isn’t really a 3B prospect as much as a long shot utility guy. 

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not advocating doing it so much as pointing out the similarity with what the O's did with Mancini.  Not sure how putting a DH type into left field counts as "so weird".

Anyway La Russa is probably drunk.

Trying a guy out a new position where he has never played professionally or collegiately six days before the season starts IS weird.

It shows a total lack of planning and foresight, and deviates from the established norm of trying players at new positions at the beginning of spring training rather than the tail end.

5 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Trying a guy out a new position where he has never played professionally or collegiately six days before the season starts IS weird.

It shows a total lack of planning and foresight, and deviates from the established norm of trying players at new positions at the beginning of spring training rather than the tail end.

So more like when they put Wilkerson in Center?

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So more like when they put Wilkerson in Center?

Absolutely that was weird too. But the calculus is different with a top-10 prospect like Vaughn compared to a fringe Major Leaguer like Wilkerson. If Wilkerson tweaked a hamstring or quad, the response would have been "Ah, well, nevertheless", whereas if Vaughn tweaks a hamstring or quad it will make the White Sox look really dumb.

Their 4th outfielder Adam Engel is sidelined for a few weeks with a hamstring.

The report last night sounded like they were thinking the TATIS path for Vaughn, but I guess Z. Collins may be their next man up as DH, and he might be just as LF hopeless.    Agree weird to push Vaughn to strange spot while Engel's hamstring heals, or they maybe see if they can coax Markakis out of retirement.

1 hour ago, oriole said:

I’d rather see them trade Stewart. Maybe Stewart for Burger? Stewart honestly has no future here with so many outfielders and Burger is blocked by Moncada for the time being. Plus there is no imminent 3B prospect in the system outside of Bannon who isn’t really a 3B prospect as much as a long shot utility guy. 

The only problem with that is the Chisox are as aware of Stewart’s problems as we are. I doubt they want him at all.

11 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Eloy Jimenez is out with a torn pec:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/03/eloy-jimenez-torn-pectoral-muscle-five-six-months-white-sox.html

Does Santander make sense?!?!??!??? What can we get from the ChiSox system?????

Hint:  Not interested in anyone outside their top 10.

We'd lose all our fans in the UK.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, oriole said:

Marketing could write itself: Burger and Fry!

If Santander carries his new found plate discipline into the season, I think he would actually be an upgrade over Jimenez. He's certainly already a better fielder. The White Sox can't really move Eloy to DH because of Vaughn who also can't play the OF and they can't move him to first because of Abreu. Going to be interesting to see how they approach this. 

15 hours ago, Philip said:

The only problem with that is the Chisox are as aware of Stewart’s problems as we are. I doubt they want him at all.

Yeah, but it’s not like Burger is a top 10 prospect or has even played in like three years. It’d be like trading Stewart for a lottery ticket and Chicago would be trading for a little bit more of a known commodity than a blocked prospect who hasn’t played in a while.