Eovaldi, not EdRod, on Opening Day in Boston

SteveA

Eduardo Rodriguez scratched from Thursday's start in Fenway against the Orioles due to a "dead arm".

Nate Eovaldi will go instead.

[I like that we have gotten to the point where we can talk about "Thursday's game" and it's a real game!]

• Upvote 1

Just now, scOtt said:

Great..... carved us up like a turkey the other night.

We didn't have a ton of starters in that lineup.  But on the other hand, he absolutely crushed us in his 3 starts vs us last year.   Hopefully we get it done.

Martin Perez and Nick Pivetta threw hot yesterday and today after Eovaldi Wednesday.

Then salty Garrett Richards will try and start after the Padres looked at like a decade of evidence, and I'll be surprised if he makes it 2 months.

Red Sox pitching, ladies and gentlemen!

Could we see opening weekend LeBlanc again?

4 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Too bad, was going to appreciate the fact that the Orioles developed four 2021 Opening Day starters (Rodriguez, Means, Bundy and Gausman).

Can we bring one back next year?

There's like six guys better than them, mostly with HOF credentials (or girth, or lack thereof, in the cases of Lance Lynn and Marcus Stroman) as UFA's next offseason, but the ex-Orioles have good claim for the back of the Top 10 with Noah Syndergaard, whatever he is in a season.

15 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Martin Perez and Nick Pivetta threw hot yesterday and today after Eovaldi Wednesday.

Then salty Garrett Richards will try and start after the Padres looked at like a decade of evidence, and I'll be surprised if he makes it 2 months.

Red Sox pitching, ladies and gentlemen!

Could we see opening weekend LeBlanc again?

Yeah, it will be interesting to see if the Red Sox can overtake the Orioles and climb into 4th place or if they remain the worst team in the AL East this year.

15 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Yeah, it will be interesting to see if the Red Sox can overtake the Orioles and climb into 4th place or if they remain the worst team in the AL East this year.

I've given up on the Vandy guys and just hope the Pirates/Rangers/Tigers don't mess up before 1-4.   It would sting to see a slipping Commodore go there right before us based on a too small sample size.   But I've probably preferred the Orioles future to the Red Sox since about six seconds after the Mookie affront to the baseball gods, and suspect by 7/31 E-Rod and Eovaldi are gone if they are any good, amid summer reports that the Chris Sale return will be "handled conservatively".

Then the Ryan Mountcastle 100 RBI drive goes into maximum - he'll have that hot Rookie of the Year fight with Arozarena, Kelenic, Vaughn, Wander.   You get your ribbies, lead your team to 73 wins and challenge for the prize!     Bonus points for flirting with 800 PA, .300 AVG, 10 SB, etc.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• He's not even in the Orioles MVP conversation. That's Gunnar by a landslide (especially if you "apples to apples" ignore Gunnar's defensive slump). I am a huge fan but I also recognize we have a pipeline of talent ready for OF/DH. Give him a QO and see where the negotiations go. 
    • I also think 2 of the Yankees 4 best hitters are LHH. Basically half of Yankees offense. Talking about Wells and Soto.
    • Hopefully he’s playing himself into a QO and turning it down.
    • Also make the Nationals (MLB low 86 HR on the season) the opponent. Drew French is going to tell him something other than pump them in cookies and see if anyone can beat Walltimore in the upcoming 5 days....I think.    
    • I’ve got to counter that and say that Aaron Judge also got off to a slow start, and he’s by far and away the leader in the MVP race.  I love Santander, but you aren’t winning the MVP with a .700 OPS through the first two months of the season.  He plays the game very well, has improved his defense and is an important part of our team.  But, he’s not an MVP level player.  He’s very good, and we know he can go on ridiculous hot stretches. I play super deep 30 team fantasy baseball leagues and since May, I have not lost an offensive week because I have Judge and Santander.  So I know very well how hot he can get since I see it every day- and am likely to win some good money this year because of it.  At least to me, It’s pretty clear that the team is planning for Santander to walk in free agency.  With Kjerstad/Mayo/O’Hearn/Mountcastle still here, even if you pull Mountcastle in a trade this off-season, that’s still your daily ABs taken up for RF/1B/DH.  I thought there was a small chance we would re-sign Santander, but after they brought in Eflin and have $18m to pay him next year, I immediately went to the recent activity.  Hays was traded, rumors of Mullins/Mountcastle being on the block and now Santander’s pending FA.  Eflin’s contract is basically paid next year with Hays off the books, Santander a FA and a non-tender of Mullins (or a trade of either him or Mountcastle.)  Anthony has been a great story for us, and a great player and leader.  But the cold analytical side and financial side here is going to come into play.  I don’t see many scenarios where he is back next season.  
    • Any reason you are comparing the two, other than that they are left handed? Rogers has more of a track record so he has a much higher floor than Povich. Kinda hard to tell much from their minors resumes since Rogers essentially skipped AAA, but Rogers had a much lower BB rate adding up to a higher K/BB even though he got lower K's. If Povich can turn his stuff into K's at the MLB level, Rogers might be the more effective overall pitcher.
    • Just the Gausman game to decide the series, we'll see if all Orioles hitters have the same command of spitting on that split Austin Hays was pretty pumped up about being able to do last time.
  • Popular Contributors