Gunnar Henderson 2021

Just Regular

2 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Age is relevant to his maturity, on and off the field. Handling the game and the pressures of the stardom, and failure. Age is relevant in that the youth is best served to play in MLB for a long time when he is ready to stay there. 

The league has not adjusted to him yet. They will, and I think that is what they are waiting for. For a guy who has worked in MLB, how are you getting carried away with a SSS of a month?

The camp was a sterile controlled setting. He worked on fundamentals, and yes, he faced some live pitching. But it was the same pitchers, over and over. 

They can move him up in early or mid-July. There is plenty of time. He can start AA in 2022 and move up from there. That would get him to Baltimore at age 22 in 2023. Again, what is your rush?

ME burner account?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jammer7 said:

Age is relevant to his maturity, on and off the field. Handling the game and the pressures of the stardom, and failure. Age is relevant in that the youth is best served to play in MLB for a long time when he is ready to stay there. 

The league has not adjusted to him yet. They will, and I think that is what they are waiting for. For a guy who has worked in MLB, how are you getting carried away with a SSS of a month?

The camp was a sterile controlled setting. He worked on fundamentals, and yes, he faced some live pitching. But it was the same pitchers, over and over. 

They can move him up in early or mid-July. There is plenty of time. He can start AA in 2022 and move up from there. That would get him to Baltimore at age 22 in 2023. Again, what is your rush?

Because we want to see the O's win and that is more likely when they have talented players on the team.

It is in the player's best interest to reach the majors as quickly as their talent will allow.

53 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because, as a general rule, the younger a player is when he gets to the majors the more successful his career is.

Guys are in the majors at 20.

He isn't going to develop as quickly or as well if he isn't challenged.

Along the lines of challenging him, you would agree that when the league adjusts to him he will be challenged to adjust with that, right? And perhaps he has things to get better at defensively. I want to see him move up too, but when he is ready to do so. A month of low A at bats, he has not even seen the whole league yet. He is not Ken Griffey Jr.. Relax a little and enjoy his growth.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because we want to see the O's win and that is more likely when they have talented players on the team.

It is in the player's best interest to reach the majors as quickly as their talent (and development) will allow (him to produce all star results consistently).

I fixed that for you. ;)

15 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

What evidence do you have that he isn’t mature enough to handle things?  

I think he should be challenged.  I don’t think he should have been in Delmarva to begin with.  

12 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Along the lines of challenging him, you would agree that when the league adjusts to him he will be challenged to adjust with that, right? And perhaps he has things to get better at defensively. I want to see him move up too, but when he is ready to do so. A month of low A at bats, he has not even seen the whole league yet. He is not Ken Griffey Jr.. Relax a little and enjoy his growth.

So, to be clear, if the Os announce tomorrow that they are moving him up, you will think that’s a bad idea, right?

9 minutes ago, survivedc said:

A-I was going off of your saying “phenom or not” (which is why I quoted it). Assuming he is a phenom he should be moved up and he will (as any true phenom does) adjust.

B-you want to see him dominate. What do you call leading the league in homers, RBI’s and being top 5 in just about everything else?

I call it an awesome start. Let's see what he does for the next 4-6 weeks. He has not seen the entire league yet. They do not have a book on him yet. I want him to be successful in Baltimore too. I do not want him to rush and not be prepared to stay.

2 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I call it an awesome start. Let's see what he does for the next 4-6 weeks. He has not seen the entire league yet. They do not have a book on him yet. I want him to be successful in Baltimore too. I do not want him to rush and not be prepared to stay.

Why not "rush" him?  What harm is it going to do?  Oh no, he struggles for a bit...hey just like last year...

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So, to be clear, if the Os announce tomorrow that they are moving him up, you will think that’s a bad idea, right?

Not necessarily. I would prefer that they wait, but I will not come here and complain about it. They have it right in front of them. If they think he is making adjustments and is ready for the challenge, fine. It is their call. But having caution now can help move him quicker later, and with greater success. I do not get to see what adjustments he has already made. I am impressed with his makeup, but I personally want to see him struggle and see how he handles it. The coaches are seeing how he is getting pitched night after night. They know his maturity and his decision making. 

If Elias and Blood think Henderson should be promoted today, I’m fine with that.  If they decide to promote him in a week , I’ll be fine with that too.  I think that they have more information and a plan for his development that we are not privy to. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

If Elias and Blood think Henderson should be promoted today, I’m fine with that.  If they decide to promote him in a week , I’ll be fine with that too.  I think that they have more information and a plan for his development that we are not privy to. 

And no way does he not have the player's best interest at heart...

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

I don’t know that low A pitchers really ever adjust to a hitter.   They’re too busy just getting their own stuff to work and get over the plate.    

I think if the O’s weren’t stacked with MI prospects, Henderson would be in High A now.   But I’m not fussed about it yet.   It doesn’t matter much if he’s moved now vs. late June/early July.   But I’d definitely want him to get enough High A under his belt where he can start 2022 in AA if he does well after his promotion.  

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

What evidence do you have that he isn’t mature enough to handle things?  

I think he should be challenged.  I don’t think he should have been in Delmarva to begin with.  

I do not know him like that. The Orioles do. And it isn't my call. But exercising some caution is prudent with most of these young men. Professional baseball is taking a much more proactive approach to developing their players off the field than ever before. It is smart to protect their investment. 

All I was saying is just give it a few weeks and see where this goes. He is not Fernando Tatis Jr.. Tatis was signed by the CWS in 2015 and debuted for SD in 2019 at the ripe age of 20 yoa. He skipped AAA and went straight to SD. He still had four years of professional baseball before reaching SD and 1064 minor league at bats before his debut, and he IS a PHENOM. Gunnar has 192 professional at bats. He will move up, just wait a few weeks.