Gunnar Henderson 2021

Just Regular

16 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I think the chances of this are very small unless he ends the year on a tear and starts next camp on a tear. Even then I'd be surprised, tbh.

Yea I tend to doubt he starts in AA but I also think he is there by May sometime And if he’s not, I think we will start to Question just how good of a prospect he really is.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea I tend to doubt he starts in AA but I also think he is there by May sometime And if he’s not, I think we will start to Question just how good of a prospect he really is.

Most likely he starts at Aberdeen next spring but I can also envision a chain reaction where het gets his average up to .250+, OPS over .750 and closer to .800.   If Mayo shows very well at Delmarva, where he's hitting cleanup in a lineup of college draftees, I could still see Henderson start next year at Bowie, with Mayo at Aberdeen, and Moises Ramirez moving up to Delmarva.   That COULD be quite a 3B pipeline of talent.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Most likely he starts at Aberdeen next spring but I can also envision a chain reaction where het gets his average up to .250+, OPS over .750 and closer to .800.   If Mayo shows very well at Delmarva, where he's hitting cleanup in a lineup of college draftees, I could still see Henderson start next year at Bowie, with Mayo at Aberdeen, and Moises Ramirez moving up to Delmarva.   That COULD be quite a 3B pipeline of talent.

Definitely agree..I mean, if he ends the year hitting well at Aberdeen and gets his OpS close to 800 or so, the argument can be made for sure.  I also think he will be a camp invite and if he shows well there (doesn’t have to put up big numbers but just look comfortable), that could get him in AA too.

I just think it’s more likely that they give him another 100ish at bats in Aberdeen before moving him up.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Frobby said:

Gunnar has been turning it around a bit lately.   Going into tonight, he’d hit .277/.386/.447 over his last 12 games.   So far tonight he’s 1 for 2 with a double.   Would be nice for him to finish strong.  

Edit: and there’s another double.   

He still has some time to get the overall numbers up in Aberdeen. He could also go to the AFL. Combine that with some ST ABs, and there is a posssibilty that he starts in Bowie next year. Plus, our prospects are pushing each other at the moment. Mayo, Norby, Burns, and Hernaiz, could all be in the mix to cover the Aberdeen IF next year. 

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He still has some time to get the overall numbers up in Aberdeen. He could also go to the AFL. Combine that with some ST ABs, and there is a posssibilty that he starts in Bowie next year. Plus, our prospects are pushing each other at the moment. Mayo, Norby, Burns, and Hernaiz, could all be in the mix to cover the Aberdeen IF next year. 

Now hitting .294/.403/.490 over his last 13 games, and overall OPS up to .737.   Don’t forget that Aberdeen is an extreme pitcher’s park, so that may have dragged his numbers down a good bit, too.

I would not send him to the AFL.  He’s 20 years old and it’s his first time playing a full season of pro ball.    Most of the AFL guys have played AA, some even AAA.   I’d let Gunnar rest up and work on whatever the O’s tell him he needs to work on.   He probably starts next year back at Aberdeen, but if he finishes the year strong maybe he makes the jump to Bowie.    

All I know is that player placement next spring will be very interesting.   If Henderson stays at Aberdeen does that force Mayo to stay at Delmarva.  Then what do you do about Moises Ramirez who has having a really good year in the FCL.   Normally, he'd be promoted to Delmarva to start next year at 3B there.  You could promote Mayo and have Henderson play mostly SS but then what about Hernaiz?    Hernaiz could repeat Delmarva but then what about Burns and Servideo?    You could keep Mayo at Delmarva but then do you make Ramirez sit at FCL and wait for Mayo to get promoted?    These are good problems to have and I see them mostly from AA on down next year.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

All I know is that player placement next spring will be very interesting.   If Henderson stays at Aberdeen does that force Mayo to stay at Delmarva.  Then what do you do about Moises Ramirez who has having a really good year in the FCL.   Normally, he'd be promoted to Delmarva to start next year at 3B there.  You could promote Mayo and have Henderson play mostly SS but then what about Hernaiz?    Hernaiz could repeat Delmarva but then what about Burns and Servideo?    You could keep Mayo at Delmarva but then do you make Ramirez sit at FCL and wait for Mayo to get promoted?    These are good problems to have and I see them mostly from AA on down next year.

I think this is a prescient post. Could lead to a different promotion timeline for guys, position changes, or even inclusion of some in trades.

Just now, LookinUp said:

I think this is a prescient post. Could lead to a different promotion timeline for guys, position changes, or even inclusion of some in trades.

Possible but I don't the trades happen until it gets jammed up to the AAA level.  

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Possible but I don't the trades happen until it gets jammed up to the AAA level.  

If Elias churns assets this offseason to bring in new guys, he'll get rid of guys he likely doesn't want (Diaz) or from areas depth.

I agree that I don't think this depth forces Elias' hand on a trade, it just directs where he might be more comfortable.

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

And all of a sudden a “struggling” Gunnar is up to a .746 at age 20 in High A at SS. Darn, I love struggling prospects. 

He's getting the XBH's, and I think everyone looks to see - can he cut down on the SO's.  One pleasant surprise is he's got 16 of 18 stolen bases this year in 97 games - not a big deal but shows some good base-running.  

On 9/3/2021 at 10:25 AM, RZNJ said:

Gunnar has been playing a lot of SS. He and Mayo can be on the same team with no problems.