A bunch of moves just announced

SteveA

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think Hyde’s quote is accurate.   Akin doesn’t suck, and he will be back once he gets his command sharpened up to previous levels.  

Accurate but incomplete. Akin DOES suck, at this time, and if he wants to be on the big club, he has to do better. And as SG as pointed out ad nauseum, Spring training small sample size stats are less important than other factors. And it is obvious that those other factors need work. So yes, the comment was accurate but incomplete, And therefore inadequate.

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Tony, the only issue I have with this is a week or 2 ago, you had Akin in your rotation.  

At that point, you would have known about him being out of shape (I still can’t find info on that?)

So, him pitching poorly (you did mention as long they didn’t implode) has to be what you are basing this off of?  (Correct me if I’m wrong??)

The Os, publicly, definitely are basing it on performance.  

I take issue with that and I especially take issue with it because Lopez is likely getting his spot.  As I said, his penalty is you are the 5th starter.  You don’t start until the 7th and then you don’t start again for over a week after that and then it’s a while after that.  He can work side sessions with Holt in the mean time and lose weight, if he hasn’t already.  

I would rather him work with Holt than whoever is going to be at camp while he plays on no real games for a month.

I've had Akin in my rotation all offseason as he had a spot in it had he not pitched his way off. Guys like him, spring training does matter. He's not a vet who is working on things then settles down and pitches better towards the end or when the lights turn on.

He's a rookie pitcher who was given a golden opportunity and then showed up to camp even heavier than usual. Regardless of whether I had him in the rotation or not, I just heard about Akin's weight prior to his TV outing in which he was just plain awful. Like want to put acid in my eyes rather than watch him pitch awful.

I'm no Lopez fan and would prefer Zimmermann in the rotation over him as well, but the Orioles are going to need a lot of innings this year and it's going to come from a lot of different starters. If Akin or Zimmermann get those starts early or later it doesn't matter really.

My guess is Akin is back before the AAA season starts.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Tony, the only issue I have with this is a week or 2 ago, you had Akin in your rotation.  

At that point, you would have known about him being out of shape (I still can’t find info on that?)

So, him pitching poorly (you did mention as long they didn’t implode) has to be what you are basing this off of?  (Correct me if I’m wrong??)

The Os, publicly, definitely are basing it on performance.  

I take issue with that and I especially take issue with it because Lopez is likely getting his spot.  As I said, his penalty is you are the 5th starter.  You don’t start until the 7th and then you don’t start again for over a week after that and then it’s a while after that.  He can work side sessions with Holt in the mean time and lose weight, if he hasn’t already.  

I would rather him work with Holt than whoever is going to be at camp while he plays on no real games for a month.

Isn't it really that Akin had a spot.  It was his to lose and whether he lost it or not, he didn't seize it.  So, they are sending back to sharpen up.  It's not like they cut him.  He will pitch for the O's soon.  Regardless of the difference of opinion here, calling it idiotic I think is what people probably are uncomfortable with.  It's debatable sure, but even if ultimately it is wrong (and personally, I don't think it is) it's not idiotic.   

7 hours ago, Philip said:

I understand why they always sugarcoat the things they say, but just once, I wish a manager would say, “we demoted him because he sucks. If he wants to be on the big team he’s gotta pitch better.”

Lol, Hyde came pretty darn close to saying that. About as close as a manager can come without straight up humiliating his player. Hyde's quote is not inconsistent with that interpretation. 

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

Isn't it really that Akin had a spot.  It was his to lose and whether he lost it or not, he didn't seize it.  So, they are sending back to sharpen up.  It's not like they cut him.  He will pitch for the O's soon.  Regardless of the difference of opinion here, calling it idiotic I think is what people probably are uncomfortable with.  It's debatable sure, but even if ultimately it is wrong (and personally, I don't think it is) it's not idiotic.   

I stand by my wording.  

This isn’t as idiotic as exposing Pop in the rule 5 though.  In other words, there are different levels of idiocy.

• Downvote 1