Adam Plutko acquired in trade

eddie83

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

After hearing Elias's comments, it sounds as if Plutko is on the team for now. Obviously more move could and probably will come, but for now he looks to have a long man spot and could make some starts this year.

But who gets dumped to make room? I still want to keep both R5 guys and I’d like Greene to make the club too.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I'd rather see Akin start than this guy.  Or Lowther.  Or Baumann.  

Lowther and Baumann aren’t options now. Akin will get his shot at some point. 

Elias is just trying to get through the year. This team has no legitimate depth. None. We have one starter who has been good in a full season on this roster in the last 5 years. That is Means with one quality season. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Lowther and Baumann aren’t options now. Akin will get his shot at some point. 

Elias is just trying to get through the year. This team has no legitimate depth. None. We have one starter who has been good in a full season on this roster in the last 5 years. That is Means with one quality season. 

Yep.  I predict that at least a dozen different pitchers start a game for the Orioles this year.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Philip said:

But who gets dumped to make room? I still want to keep both R5 guys and I’d like Greene to make the club too.

I think Greene goes to the alternate site because they can keep him there  until he's needed. I like Greene as well, but because he's not on the 40-man roster, I think he goes back to AAA unless they give one of the Rule 5 guys back.

Guys who can throw 60 IP of 4+ ERA like Abad/Tate/Sulser/Lakins aren't valued anymore. If you're going to be a 1 inning guy, you'd better dominate that inning. Otherwise, a guy like Plutko will take your spot.

I think an ideal team has 4 long relievers and 3 dominant 1 IP guys in the pen. Then, a 5 man bench of PHs like Renato Nunez/DJ Stewart, a PR/OF like Billy Hamilton, a versatile glove like Ryan Flaherty, and a catcher.

• Upvote 2

On 3/28/2021 at 3:36 PM, SteveA said:

Yep.  I predict that at least a dozen different pitchers start a game for the Orioles this year.

Not exactly a bold prediction.   18 different pitchers started a game for them in 2019, and 10 last year in a mere 60 games.   

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

2014- Seven.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, and McFarland only started one because the O’s had a doubleheader a few days before so nobody in the rotation was available to pitch that day.  He got the win, BTW.    

That was a year of uncharacteristic health and effectiveness throughout the entirety of the staff. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• This is a mix of hitting two really hot teams, our pitching attrition, and just some bad luck. Everything is not going their way right now.  Sure, I think the rotation needs some help after losing Bradish, Means, Wells and Kremer and yes, Elias should have done more this offseason to sure up this pen (I was saying that all offseason and through spring), but when the team pitches good it doesn't hit and when they score a bunch, their pitching stinks.  This team was not going to continue on a 105-win pace with their pitching injuries, but luckily, the Yankees have not been playing great either after being lights out for awhile (while the Orioles were red-hot).  No this team is not going to go into a giant tailspin where they end up under .500 and yes, they will eventually break out of this. We saw in the schedule this was a tough stretch of opponents and lack of off days and it's just kind of caught up just as they hot two teams getting hot.  They're going to be fine when it comes to making the playoffs. Now, do they have a deep playoff caliber rotation and bullpen? No, I think they need to make moves, move that are going cost some players people don't want to see go, but when you have never drafted and developed a major league pitcher in 5 years of drafting, this is what your strategy was devised for.  Develop the bats, trade/acquire for the arms. Now it's time to see if Elias is able to fulfill his strategy.
    • Not addressing the bullpen other than a stopgap closer in the offseason is kinda coming home to roost now. Doesn't help that Cano and Perez haven't been very good either. The rotation has just been pure bad luck. When your 2/4/5 plus Wells are gone, sooner or later you are going to feel it. Irvin and Suarez have pitched above expectations but you gotta assume they are going to settle into mid-4 ERAs sooner or later. No idea what the front office is going to do by the deadline. It's a sellers market it seems. I will say I hope major moves are made between now and the start of the 25 season, because it is pee or get off the pot with a lot of these guys on the farm.  And if Burnes isn't back, there is a TON of pitching that needs to be added.
    • It sure does feel that way.
    • They'd probably trade Witt for Gunnar. Then they could just offer Gunnar Witt's contract and we've been told a dozen times he would never turn it down. Win win!
    • It's weird, I think some people have been spoiled, in a weird way.   People on here were making fun of the streak...glad it's over, tired of hearing about it...well, this is the flip side of the coin.   It's like people here think this team is above any kind of struggle, any kind of adversity...injuries shouldn't happen to us, can't happen to us, won't happen to us.  We've had it really good since Adley's call up and we've been one of the best teams in the game. 5 game losing streak has some people here on tilt.    
    • All those Yankees fans running their mouths about Volpe being better than Gunnar last year are awfully quiet this season.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now