John Means 2021

Il BuonO

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

bUt WhAt AbOuT sPiDeR tAcK.

I'd still give a few more starts before we pass judgment one way or the other. People were saying the same thing about Cole after the Houston start. Hasn't looked that hot since, and certainly a decline overall post-crackdown.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2021 at 5:03 PM, Pickles said:

I think some regression was to be expected.

The velo was down a bit today.  McDonald speculated maybe to do with the heat.

And his velocity was up today. He’s reliant on command of both the FB and CH.

His FIP is 4.75 and BABIP is .236. So, regression is built in. I want to say if the right offer came along I’d trade him, but even if he’s a MOR guy, on this team he has value.

On 8/29/2021 at 2:00 PM, sportsfan8703 said:

Had Means not gotten hurt, I think Elias would’ve traded him for a haul before the deadline. Now with his struggles and the no hitter hype fading, I doubt he’d bring back the same type of return. Now we just have to hope Means, Grod, and Hall, are all in our 2023 rotation. 

Maybe it will be for the best if that’s how it works out. If Means can continue to be a good starting pitcher it will be one less hole in the rotation to fill.

Plus there’s no guarantee the prospects returned in a trade would work out. Still curious though on what might have happened if Means stayed healthy.

On 8/29/2021 at 2:00 PM, sportsfan8703 said:

Had Means not gotten hurt, I think Elias would’ve traded him for a haul before the deadline. Now with his struggles and the no hitter hype fading, I doubt he’d bring back the same type of return. Now we just have to hope Means, Grod, and Hall, are all in our 2023 rotation. 

If he didn't get hurt, he could have just as easily slumped and lowered his value that way.  Either way, he really never put up an impressive enough resume for a 28 year old to get a ton in a trade, and we're better off with him - considering the dismal state of the organization's pitching staff.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

If he didn't get hurt, he could have just as easily slumped and lowered his value that way.  Either way, he really never put up an impressive enough resume for a 28 year old to get a ton in a trade, and we're better off with him - considering the dismal state of the organization's pitching staff.  

Neither did Bedard

On 8/22/2021 at 11:37 PM, Il BuonO said:

I want to say if the right offer came along I’d trade him, but even if he’s a MOR guy, on this team he has value.

I would personally look into trading him this offseason since he's unlikely to be a major cog in our next sustained playoff contender without an extension and would probably look pretty good to some current contenders that don't have a ton of money to spend in free agency to bolster their rotations (assuming he looks decent for the next month, of course).

If we could get 2 top 10-15 organizational prospects and 1 or 2 more in the 15-30 range from somebody, all of whom are expected to arrive by 2023/2024, I think I do that. It could potentially be a Bedard Deal 2.0 for the next good O's team.

8 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I would personally look into trading him this offseason since he's unlikely to be a major cog in our next sustained playoff contender without an extension and would probably look pretty good to some current contenders that don't have a ton of money to spend in free agency to bolster their rotations (assuming he looks decent for the next month, of course).

If we could get 2 top 10-15 organizational prospects and 1 or 2 more in the 15-30 range from somebody, all of whom are expected to arrive by 2023/2024, I think I do that. It could potentially be a Bedard Deal 2.0 for the next good O's team.

You would trade Means for something of the equivalent of J Jones, Stowers, Trimble and Kevin Smith?