The defense thread 2021

Frobby

11 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

Solid defense today but not many challenging attempts. However, Mancini did well on two plays at 1B, first running into foul territory just before the stands to snag a tough pop up, and secondly on a softly hit blooper over first that he snagged in the air on a jump. 

Those were both excellent plays.    I agree there’s not anything else of note to report.    

40 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

Solid defense today but not many challenging attempts. However, Mancini did well on two plays at 1B, first running into foul territory just before the stands to snag a tough pop up, and secondly on a softly hit blooper over first that he snagged in the air on a jump. 

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Those were both excellent plays.    I agree there’s not anything else of note to report.    

He did really well with that ball hit sharply down the line yesterday as well

On 4/3/2021 at 10:36 AM, TommyPickles said:

Ruiz looked great! And that throw from Hays in left was really impressive. I like Hays/Mullins/Santander in the outfield with Mountcastle mostly DHing, or giving Trey some days off at 1B.

I think we have to assume that Hays will be out several rounds during the season. What alignment minus Hays would you prefer?

Game 6, April 7

Defense lost, er, won us this game.  

Up 2-1 with two outs in the 8th, Ryan Mountcastle couldn’t catch a hooking line drive near the corner that appeared very catchable though hard hit.   The runner loafed and stayed at 1B as Mountcastle made a pretty nice throw to 2B after fielding the carom.  The next hitter lined a hit to LCF that Mountcastle cut off in the gap, but he made a really weak throw to Galvis, who fielded it on a short hop and made a nice relay throw home but the runner just beat it.   That run clearly would never have scored if Hays had been in LF.   

Yankees tried to give the game back to us in the 10th when Gleyber Torres bounced a throw with a runner on 3B and Jay Bruce barely got his glove on what looked to me like a pretty clean knee-high hop, giving the O’s a 3-2 lead.   

In the Yankee 10th, Valdez was an out away from getting the win, but gave up a sharp single to right.  Santander got to it quickly and made a strong throw, but the very fast Yankee runner got his hand on the plate before Severino could make the sweep tag.   

Santander got his revenge in the 11th, with the O’s ahead again 4-3.   With one out and Urshela on 3B, LeMahieu hit a liner to medium RF that Santander caught, then fired a rocket home that Severino caught in time to tag Urshela in the face as he attempted a headfirst slide.   Ballgame!

Rio Ruiz also made a couple of tough plays charging slow grounders and making clean throws to 1B.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Someone said that call could have gone either way?  He was clearly tagged 3 feet from the plate.  An easy call for the ump.

I think that remark was tongue in cheek.   At least, I hope so.