The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

Rutschman is DHing. 

And that play’s not on Santander. No matter who’s in RF you can’t assume they’ll bring that HR back. 

That's my mistake.  I thought Rutschman caught all of Rodriguez's games. I wasn't saying the play was a gimme, but I think a solid defensive OF probably makes that catch. 

8 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

Starting pitching is a huge concern. They will never be true contenders until they have a couple of TOR blue chips.

Grayson should be expected to take some lumps as he develops.  Gibson is what he is and maybe got a bit unlucky yesterday.  O's will definitely need to trade for one or two more good starters, hopefully some time this year, though I suspect Bradish and Kremer will throw some good games again soon.

1 minute ago, maybenxtyr said:

Just duplicate the starting pitching from 2022. I'm sure someone will let me know that I'm wrong about last year's starters.

We just need last years second half version of Bradish and Kremer, with Wells and Gibson being about what they’ve been so far.  As for GRod,  he needs to find his secondaries more consistently.   Very disappointing outing from him today.

Even though he got a hit, the McKenna PH tonight might have been my least favorite in-game Hyde decision this year. 

Even putting aside the bizarre shielding of Stowers from run of the mill LH relievers... bases empty in a one run lead, and you use your defensive replacement outfielder to pinch hit for a guy who isn't even your worst fielding outfielder in the game? I don't get that. McKenna should have been in for Santander as a defensive replacement after this Santander AB in the 8th.

Earlier in this same game Santander just missed catching Grissom's double on a ball I bet McKenna catches. (And, btw, I bet Hays doesn't. Because I'm curious to see if they defensively sub Hays here.)

1 minute ago, Ripken said:

Hyde gave this one away.  Terrible bullpen usage.  

What would you have liked him to do? Clearly Cano wasn’t available or Felix wasn’t. 

Baker had allowed 3 base runners already. Who do you pitch there ?