The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

4 hours ago, Fan4Life said:

I have more Trust for Baker / Bauman entering a clean inning. 

There’s a good reason for that.  Baker has allowed 46% of inherited runners to score, Baumann 42%.   Major league average is 33%.   

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Orioles0615 said:

Do you think Hyde will actually do that in the playoffs? I have a feeling he won’t 

Well i hope he has better options in the playoffs so it won't make a difference who he brings in.  You add one or two high leverage guys for late in the game it makes it a lot easier to manage a bullpen.  You have two and a half guys i trust in the pen right now so if a starter goes 6 or less innings you are having to put in someone you can't trust.  

4 hours ago, Fan4Life said:

Agreed. Seems to me Baker and Bauman have not been great coming into non clean innings recently.  This game wasn't a must win I suppose.. but these type of losses can start something we don't want.

I don't believe that the team hangs on to losses like this like the fans do. They lose games, they shrug it off and they play again the next day. I don't know if there is a stat for a team being driven into a slump after losing a game that was winnable, but they have them for everything else.

• Upvote 1

The result might not have changed but part of the problem with the game last night was that Bazardo was so bad on Sunday we had to put Coulumbe in the game on Sunday which might have caused Hyde to go a little longer with Rodriguez then he might have if he had full use of the pen like you would have hoped after Bradish pitched into the 8th.  

2 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

Well i hope he has better options in the playoffs so it won't make a difference who he brings in.  You add one or two high leverage guys for late in the game it makes it a lot easier to manage a bullpen.  You have two and a half guys i trust in the pen right now so if a starter goes 6 or less innings you are having to put in someone you can't trust.  

This is the key. You have to use what you're given. Unfortunately, with our bullpen, you have to pitch certain guys. I don't even have that much confidence in Cano in the 8th inning in a close game. He's not missing many bats lately and they are getting the barrel to the ball. I'd like to think the odds are good when we have leads like we did against MIA and LAD, but unfortunately, our goods are odd in the bullpen.

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

I don't believe that the team hangs on to losses like this like the fans do. They lose games, they shrug it off and they play again the next day. I don't know if there is a stat for a team being driven into a slump after losing a game that was winnable, but they have them for everything else.

Yeah, after watching this game all season, what in the world would make anyone think that they would spiral after a bad loss?   Time and again they just bounce back and keep playing well.

Yet every bad loss, or small bad stretch, people start forecasting doom.   We're going to lose 10 in a row going into the All Star Break, we'll be under .500 by August -- those were both things that were said on this board just a few weeks ago!

4 hours ago, Camden Yards said:

GROD should have never started the 6th inning. Let the young man enjoy a one run performance against the Dodgers. He did his job! Coulombe or Vespi should have been in to start the 6th. You had Freeman and Muncy due up. Baker is our third trusted reliever. Not sure who calls the pitches but throwing two off speed pitches to Heyward after the count reached 2-2 was terrible! He was close on some of the high fastballs away. Should have been more fastballs on outside corner. Pitch calling again vs Taylor was terrible. I see Adley looking toward the dugout. Is he calling the pitches or someone in the dugout. 
BTW the second guessing of Hyde thread seems to have more pages than the praise Hyde thread. We must be a terrible team 😂.

The 6th was an interesting sequence of events that speaks to a bullpen that is in need of at least one, if not two, more arms. It would be nice if one of them was Lefthanded.  

I agree that bringing Grayson back out for the 6th was not a good choice and I don't care what his pitch count was. Hyde should know better. 5 innings of one run ball against one of the best teams in the league would have done wonders for Grayson's confidence. Getting charged with 4 runs in a losing cause did not. 

I think you have to go with a lefty to open the 6th with Freeman and Muncy due up. 

The pitch selection to Taylor is very hard to defend.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Looking forward to the Bakers and Baumann's of the world being our mop up guys in a couple weeks.  

That wd be great but I fear it's over-optimistic about who we can acquire or rehabilitate (e.g. Perez, Givens).

The offense deserves some blame too. The Dodgers have are ranked 22nd in bullpen ERA but we didn’t muster anything after that got the 6-4 lead in the 6th. Why does Hyde just automatically pinch hits in certain situations. Westburg has struggled recently but he pinch hit for Frazier because of a lefty. Frazier will overall right now give us better at bats than Westburg. Well a righty was on the mound in the 9th and finished the game vs Westburg. 

12 minutes ago, Camden Yards said:

The offense deserves some blame too. The Dodgers have are ranked 22nd in bullpen ERA but we didn’t muster anything after that got the 6-4 lead in the 6th. Why does Hyde just automatically pinch hits in certain situations. Westburg has struggled recently but he pinch hit for Frazier because of a lefty. Frazier will overall right now give us better at bats than Westburg. Well a righty was on the mound in the 9th and finished the game vs Westburg. 

Frazier has had good stats lately in part because he has been used in a platoon role. Both this year and over his career he has about 100 point differential, and Vesia has an even bigger differential. I have no problem trying Westburg against a tough lefty.

30 minutes ago, Camden Yards said:

The offense deserves some blame too. The Dodgers have are ranked 22nd in bullpen ERA but we didn’t muster anything after that got the 6-4 lead in the 6th. 

I don't believe the Orioles even got a man to second base after the second inning.

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

My biggest concern with Baker and Baumann has been their walk totals.   Baker came in and threw strikes last night.  I understand the second guessing on some of the pitch selection and/location.   I love an up and in fastball as much as the next guy.  Obviously, Baker and Adley thought Taylor was looking or protecting against the slider and thought they’d eventually beat him with the fastball.   Didn’t work out.   

Meanwhile, the Rays lost in the 9th on a wild pitch with two outs in a tie game.   

What kind of a manager calls for a wild pitch in the 9th.  Guy must be terrible.

Seriously, I think Hyde's decisions last night were sound.  I was fine with Grayson starting the 6th and comfortable when he was pulled.  A guy occupying a spot on our roster failed to do his job.  It happens.  Just like better defense could have gotten Grayson out of the 6th on his own.

And Hyder?  Well he showed Sigbot exactly one of the spots we need to enhance.  Brilliant.

1 hour ago, Malike said:

This is the key. You have to use what you're given. Unfortunately, with our bullpen, you have to pitch certain guys. I don't even have that much confidence in Cano in the 8th inning in a close game. He's not missing many bats lately and they are getting the barrel to the ball. I'd like to think the odds are good when we have leads like we did against MIA and LAD, but unfortunately, our goods are odd in the bullpen.

I mentioned in a previous thread Cano's pitches are up much more often than when he was successful early on. His sinker isn't starting belt high and dropping out like it used to. He did have one game against the Marlins I think where everything looked like before. I wasn't sure if his arm slot is creating some issue.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Yeah, after watching this game all season, what in the world would make anyone think that they would spiral after a bad loss?   Time and again they just bounce back and keep playing well.

Yet every bad loss, or small bad stretch, people start forecasting doom.   We're going to lose 10 in a row going into the All Star Break, we'll be under .500 by August -- those were both things that were said on this board just a few weeks ago!

I have this tendency because I see things that are problematic and in that light winning games you should have become more important. I am primarily referencing the offence. While it looks good on the surface to score 5 - 7 runs in an inning, it doesn't look good at all to be no hit the rest of the game. Or winning games with 5 hits.  2 of the 3 wins vs the Marlins were 5 hits and last night after having 4 runs early, we had 7 hits for the game.  We have been fortunate to have great starting pitching for quite a while now...