The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

9 minutes ago, PsychoBird68 said:

We just need to weather the storm and find a way to win the division and I believe 500 ball will get it done...17 days in a row is just brutal on the arms but they'll get 5 days rest and be fresh for the playoffs...win the CS in 3 straight and get 3 more days off and then there's enough built in days off to keep the pen fresh

You are forgetting the lack of talent part. Even rested, this is dumpster-diving bullpen. You can't hide those in the postseason. Hopefully, they will surprise and play way above their heads.

14 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

You are forgetting the lack of talent part. Even rested, this is dumpster-diving bullpen. You can't hide those in the postseason. Hopefully, they will surprise and play way above their heads.

I'm hoping the off-season plans for Elias includes adding some legit and proven bullpen talent. Yes Cano, Perez and Coulombe to name a few have been good stories this year, but they are mostly castoffs or acquired as a trade throw-in.

I want to see Elias target a top reliever in trade or free agency to bolster the bullpen. Chances are Bautista isn't pitching for the Orioles again until 2025. Someone like Hader would be good or trade a prospect for a pitcher.

Aroldis Chapman would have been a nice pick up this year and was missed on by Elias.

21 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

Yea they s u c k ....SMH.... but there is 24 teams with worse ERA's and only 5 better .... we won't have to face the best bullpen in the playoffs because the Yankees aren't going and we we won't have to face the 2nd or 3rd best bullpen until the world series and the 4th or 5th may not make the playoffs......Think with your brains not your heart....lol......top 6 isn't a dumpster diving bullpen  

11 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

Coulombe's outing: walk, wild pitch, strikeout that should have been a walk, sharp single that Westburg knocked down but couldn't finish. 

Yes, Coulombe looked bad, but he has been one of your best relievers all season.  Lots of good pitchers get themselves into trouble and then find a way to get out of it.  He deserves the benefit of the doubt in that situation given the matchups.  He had a better chance of getting it together and keeping the game tied than Jorge Lopez.   

4 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Yes, Coulombe looked bad, but he has been one of your best relievers all season.  Lots of good pitchers get themselves into trouble and then find a way to get out of it.  He deserves the benefit of the doubt in that situation given the matchups.  He had a better chance of getting it together and keeping the game tied than Jorge Lopez.   

In September a 1.7 WHIP and 4.3 K/9. 
He has been ineffective.

15 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

Every bullpen in the majors is a dumpster-diving bullpen. That's how bullpens are built. In 2020s MLB, every dumpster in the nation is inhabited by a poor shivering reliever just waiting for a benevolent analytics-empowered pitching coach to wander by and teach him one neat trick for an 11.5 K/9.

Edited by Spy Fox

6 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Every bullpen in the majors is a dumpster-diving bullpen. That's how bullpens are built. In 2020s MLB, every dumpster in the nation is inhabited by a poor shivering reliever just waiting for a benevolent analytics-empowered pitching coach to wander by and teach him one neat trick for an 11.5 K/9.

I have to call you out of this one.  I live in a somewhat rural area that has a number of personal dumpsters that I pass by on my daily walks.  I've yet to find a reliever in one of them and with as hot as it is down here, if I did they would hardly be shivering. 

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I have to call you out of this one.  I live in a somewhat rural area that has a number of personal dumpsters that I pass by on my daily walks.  I've yet to find a reliever in one of them and with as hot as it is down here, if I did they would hardly be shivering. 

They must be hiding from you waiting for a Rays or Dodgers rep to come around. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hated the decision to pinch hit Frazier for Westburg in the bottom of the 4th. An example of over-managing in the playoffs if you ask me. Not saying it cost us the game, but I think it was short sighted. Westburg was the starter, give the guy a chance at a second plate appearance.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

Hated the decision to pinch hit Frazier for Westburg in the bottom of the 4th. An example of over-managing in the playoffs if you ask me. Not saying it cost us the game, but I think it was short sighted. Westburg was the starter, give the guy a chance at a second plate appearance.

Yea agreed. 
along with removing Bradish veeeeery early, I felt Hyde go out managed by a legend today. 

3 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

Someone needs to inform Hyde that Westburg has his best numbers against RHP. He is a slave to right/left matchups and ignores all the reverse splits.

• Upvote 1

I’ve never posted in this thread but I couldn’t resist after that game. Hyde was absolutely horrible today. His decision to pull Bradish was stupid. If it wasn’t for DL pitching great, it would’ve been even worse. Why pinch hit Frazier so early in the game? His management of Mateo today was fall flat on your face bad. But at the end of the day, to win games, you need to hit and score runs and we haven’t done that for just about a month.