Way too early but concerns

eddie83

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I agree, which is why I don't think .500 is likely in 2022.

At this point I'm just hoping the official line isn't "We are still accumulating talent and winning isn't a priority this season."

I don’t think Elias will say that next year. Only so long that can go on for. I don’t have the issues you do with the club this year but next year wins do matter. I think if they got to around 73-75 wins next year it would be an accomplishment.  

I was fine with the placeholders this year and I have no names in mind but it would be nice to try and upgrade the infield next year and SP.  They are going to have 3 more openings on the infield next year. 

17 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I doubt we see the first 3. Only way would be if team is actually competitive and they needed an arm. I can’t wait till the MiL season starts. 

Genuinely worried about Kjerstad. I know the Astros got away with whiffing on a top pick but I would rather not roll the dice on that. 

Hall and Grayson absolutely will be here in 2022 unless they aren’t developing or hurt.

Gunnar will be dependent on how good he is.  He could move fast.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Hall and Grayson absolutely will be here in 2022 unless they aren’t developing or hurt.

Gunnar will be dependent on how good he is.  He could move fast.

Will have to see. Hope I am wrong. They need to get innings in. Best case is second half of next year and if club isn’t competitive I have my doubts. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

Will have to see. Hope I am wrong. They need to get innings in. Best case is second half of next year and if club isn’t competitive I have my doubts. 

I don’t see that being best case at all.  

Hall is definitely starting in AA this year.  Best case is that he pitching very well there and has a chance at starts in the majors this season.

Rodriguez seems like he could start in AA too.  Same goes for him but since he is younger and has less experience, I think best case for him is that he is up late April/early May next year.

Now, where I do agree where things could become dicey in terms of seeing them this year is how many innings do they throw this year.  But I think they are both in line to make the team on OD or shortly after in 2022..again, assuming health and performance.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Hall's gotta get that command together if he wants to be here in 2022.

Well of course...but I think he is up in 2022 regardless.  At some point, he is what he is and you have to see what you have.  He’s not the young Hs kid anymore.  He’s getting older and has progressed through the system.  

I also could see him being a trade piece.  Guys I have wanted to see traded, as prospects over the years like Sisco and Mountcastle are/could be/will lose value by keeping them.  Hall could be in that group as well.  Not ready to put him in that category yet but I think he could be there.  

23 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I doubt we see the first 3. Only way would be if team is actually competitive and they needed an arm. I can’t wait till the MiL season starts. 

Genuinely worried about Kjerstad. I know the Astros got away with whiffing on a top pick but I would rather not roll the dice on that. 

Until we see what we have in the minors this year, amongst Adley, A. Hall, Gunner, Westburg, Servideo, Hernaiz, Y. Diaz, Stowers, Kjerstad, it's hard to say when we will be able to field a competitive team.  We may find we are further away than what we hoped to be in 2021.

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I agree, which is why I don't think .500 is likely in 2022.

At this point I'm just hoping the official line isn't "We are still accumulating talent and winning isn't a priority this season."

They might not say that but that’s where we realistically should be. We still have a lot of holes to fill for 2023 and beyond. That’s realistically our next window. 

It’s not fun but it makes sense to trade Means, Scott, and Santander at the trade deadline. Don’t give them away, but we need to have as many lotto tickets for 2023+. Add those returns to what we have then top 5-10 picks in 2021,2022, and 2023, then we’ll be primed to realistically compete in the AL East. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

They might not say that but that’s where we realistically should be. We still have a lot of holes to fill for 2023 and beyond. That’s realistically our next window. 

It’s not fun but it makes sense to trade Means, Scott, and Santander at the trade deadline. Don’t give them away, but we need to have as many lotto tickets for 2023+. Add those returns to what we have then top 5-10 picks in 2021,2022, and 2023, then we’ll be primed to realistically compete in the AL East. 

No, it isn't.

You don't need five years worth of top draft picks to build a team.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I would hate to trade any of those three because those are our legit pieces but it depends on the offer. As we've seen, the Gausman and Machado trades have yet to pay off. 

27 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I would hate to trade any of those three because those are our legit pieces but it depends on the offer. As we've seen, the Gausman and Machado trades have yet to pay off. 

It sucks the trades haven't paid off as we hoped, but they were in their last seasons of team control and we weren't contending. It 100% made sense to trade them for the best package available

You have 3 rule 5 pitchers, which means you didnt have enough pitchers ready in your own system.

Gausman wasnt doing much to dictate a better haul.

This team wasnt ready to compete this season, that should have been obvious.

They do have some talent, and they are going to wow us, and at the same time, they are going to stink large ones.