MacPhail has TOTAL control? Not what I hear!

Guest Sailor Jerry

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Word on the street is MacPhail wanted Stockstill out. Then Peter the Great stepped in and said no. Un-friggin-believable.

Wow, just wow! The guy is just as hard headed as they come, was probably a bull in his after life.

Looks like the McPhail honeymoon period is over, glad to know you buddy.

This makes some sense to me. Stockstill was running the whole minor league player development operation, but now it seems all he is doing is running around developing our international operations. Obviously that is still an important job, but it is essentially a demotion. I remember wondering, when I heard he had been assigned to that job, whether (and why) he was being demoted without the team saying so in a direct manner.

This makes some sense to me. Stockstill was running the whole minor league player development operation, but now it seems all he is doing is running around developing our international operations. Obviously that is still an important job, but it is essentially a demotion. I remember wondering, when I heard he had been assigned to that job, whether (and why) he was being demoted without the team saying so in a direct manner.

You might be getting confused. There are two Stockstill's working for the O's and they are brothers. I believe it is David and Jon.

If this is true, this is very bad. AM really wants to overhaul the organization so that it is run better. I wonder if we do somehow sign Tex, it could be bad if Angelos decides to overstep and pay a lot more than what AM wanted. This could be the first step towards losing AM.

I hope it is not true or at least there is more to this and simply that Angelos mediated any disagreements AM/Jordan and Stockstill had.

Guest Sailor Jerry

That's John Stockstill.

Dave is in charge of the minor league side.

You might be getting confused. There are two Stockstill's working for the O's and they are brothers. I believe it is David and Jon.
That's John Stockstill.

Dave is in charge of the minor league side.

My bad. I knew there were two brothers, but when I read the stuff about international scouting I thought they had mentioned Dave, not John.

What about that other, younger guy MacPhail hired last year? Did we ever figure out exactly what he does?

Word on the street is MacPhail wanted Stockstill out. Then Peter the Great stepped in and said no. Un-friggin-believable.

How is it unbelievable? It's the Orioles, what else would you expect?

Not you Sailor Jerry, but too many here and elsewhere give this dysfunctional organization the benefit of doubt way too much.

My bad. I knew there were two brothers, but when I read the stuff about international scouting I thought they had mentioned Dave, not John.

What about that other, younger guy MacPhail hired last year? Did we ever figure out exactly what he does?

That is Matt Klentak. He came from the league office and I believe was supposed to be well versed in waiver rules and things of that nature. I assumed that would be his main function but I am not sure the O's ever announced his role.

If MacPhail quit outright over this, he'd be hard pressed to find another job in baseball, near-term. It wouldn't reflect well on him. This argument that he'd quit already is a red herring, IMO, because if anything he hasn't shown himself to be impulsive when it comes to decisions, quite the opposite.

Archived