What is your realistic ideal team makeup

kidrock

I would love to ask another question to the experts on here again:  given the following factors, what is your realistic ideal build/makeup for the O’s:

1. Play in the AL East - seemingly much smaller/hitter friendly than other divisions on the whole

2. Play in Camden Yards - seemingly brutal for pitchers

3. Have a payroll with an upper bound of the 2015-2017 teams

To be more specific, the 2012-2015 had very solid defense up the middle/third along with pretty good power for the respective positions in Aj, Wieters and Hardy.  They had plus power from Davis, Trumbo.  They seamed to really lack OBP across the team.  Their starting pitching seemed average as best and their bullpen was elite.

Again, my question for you all: what qualities/traits do you think the O’s need.  Is it ground ball pitchers, is it defense up the middle?  Is OBP more important power or is power more import as they play in such small stadiums?  Obviously the ideal but not realistic scenario is to have an all star at each position.  I’m looking for what traits or characteristics need to be of focus.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

OBP >>>>> Power.  

I want great starting pitching and an elite bullpen, preferably with guys that can keep the ball on the ground.  Elite infield defense.  I'd be happy to sacrifice elite outfield defense for average defense if it meant having fantastic OBP.  

Yea as fun as power is, we saw what all or nothing teams do in the playoffs. 

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

OBP >>>>> Power.  

I want great starting pitching and an elite bullpen, preferably with guys that can keep the ball on the ground.  Elite infield defense.  I'd be happy to sacrifice elite outfield defense for average defense if it meant having fantastic OBP.  

Yes, watching the ups and downs of the 2012-16 Orioles offense built on hitting home runs has me valuing OBP over power.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, oriole said:

I’m a sucker for good defense and pitching. Maybe it’s because of my distaste for the all or nothing approach but offensively I’d love to see a balanced lineup with good OBP skills.

I like those early to mid 80s Cardinals teams.  Practically no power but they could get on base at a decent clip, steal bases and had great defense and pitching.  They were essentially a team built for Astroturf.  

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I like those early to mid 80s Cardinals teams.  Practically no power but they could get on base at a decent clip, steal bases and had great defense and pitching.  They were essentially a team built for Astroturf.  

It’s more exciting IMO. The game right now seems to be K or HR. I’d much rather see a LH hitter attempt to beat the shift by hitting the opposite way than just swinging as hard as possible and hoping it leaves the park. Of course home runs are fun but it’s probably the Buck years that has made me want more small ball. Between Davis, Trumbo, Reynolds...it just got old quick. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, oriole said:

It’s more exciting IMO. The game right now seems to be K or HR. I’d much rather see a LH hitter attempt to beat the shift by hitting the opposite way than just swinging as hard as possible and hoping it leaves the park. Of course home runs are fun but it’s probably the Buck years that has made me want more small ball. Between Davis, Trumbo, Reynolds...it just got old quick. 

I agree, it's K or HR.  And those increments happen so slowly over time that it's kind of hard to notice.  I'd like less strikeouts, more balls in play...more doubles, triples.  

2 minutes ago, oriole said:

I'd much rather have my team win and teams win by hitting home runs and striking guys out.

That is the optimal outcome of an at bat so they should do it as much as possible.

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree, it's K or HR.  And those increments happen so slowly over time that it's kind of hard to notice.  I'd like less strikeouts, more balls in play...more doubles, triples.  

I always love when you’ve got a fast runner on base and he is able to get in the pitchers head. 

Also, maybe I’m just being cranky or whatever (legit possibility) but if a run is to be scored I’d much rather see something like working a walk, move the runner up, then someone hits a double than an inning of a mix of strikeouts, ground balls into the shift, and a home run. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd much rather have my team win and teams win by hitting home runs and striking guys out.

That is the optimal outcome of an at bat so they should do it as much as possible.

Just a matter of personal preference of course. I think strike outs are collateral damage of swinging for the fences and so it makes the whole approach less exciting overall. Obviously it’s optimal to go with whatever approach gets more total bases over the long haul but little things like putting the ball in play, making the other teams defense work, moving runners up...that sort of thing keeps me engaged in watching the game.

Just now, oriole said:

Just a matter of personal preference of course. I think strike outs are collateral damage of swinging for the fences and so it makes the whole approach less exciting overall. Obviously it’s optimal to go with whatever approach gets more total bases over the long haul but little things like putting the ball in play, making the other teams defense work, moving runners up...that sort of thing keeps me engaged in watching the game.

Sure.

But give me the choice between dongs and winning or doing the little things and losing, give me the dongs.

Also, I don't want to ever see our pitchers "Pitching to contact".  Miss bats.

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

OBP >>>>> Power.  

Is there such a thing as a team in 2021 that emphasizes OBP over power?  I guess a team like the '20 Nats, they only averaged a bit over one homer/game with a reasonably good OBP.  But their OBP was heavily influenced by Soto and Turner, who also were 1st and 2nd on the team in homers and SLG.  Players we used to identify as leadoff hitters, .350-.400 OBPs with little power, are nearly extinct.

59 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Until baseball wises up and deadens the ball and makes it illegal to have a fence less than 375' from the plate.