The Tanner Scott Roulette Wheel

Frobby

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

I am opposed to getting rid of anyone with high potential who is getting paid pre-arbitration minimal money in a year you aren't trying to win.   So that means we need to keep him at least the rest of this season and see what we can make of him.

He's arbitration eligible in the offseason, right?   So the tender/non-tender decision comes in November.

I don’t have a problem with that, my point was that we have to accept his inconsistency, and prepare for it. When you bring him into a game, you have to be prepared that he’s going to have a terrible outing. Which means unless he comes into down 10 or up 10 garbage time, you’ve got to be prepared to replace him quickly with somebody else if he’s handing out walks like his Halloween candy.

That also means he’s not your closer under any circumstances

Edited by Philip
Typo

34 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t have a problem with that, my point was that we have to accept his inconsistency, and prepare for it. When you bring him into a game, you have to be prepared that he’s going to have a terrible outing. Which means unless he comes in and down 10 or up 10 garbage time, you’ve got to be prepared to replace him quickly with somebody else if he’s handing out walks like his Halloween candy.

Hyder disagrees ....

“I’m going to continue to throw (Scott) out there in big spots,” Hyde said. “I believe in the arm, I believe in the kid. He’s had a couple rough ones with some command, but huge punchout on Odor. That showed me a lot right there, with the bases loaded to be able to throw those sliders he did left-on-left. We believe in Tanner’s ability. I think he’s a back end, late inning with the lead type of guy, and he’s got that kind of stuff and he’s going to continue to get those experiences.”

35 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Hyder disagrees ....

“I’m going to continue to throw (Scott) out there in big spots,” Hyde said. “I believe in the arm, I believe in the kid. He’s had a couple rough ones with some command, but huge punchout on Odor. That showed me a lot right there, with the bases loaded to be able to throw those sliders he did left-on-left. We believe in Tanner’s ability. I think he’s a back end, late inning with the lead type of guy, and he’s got that kind of stuff and he’s going to continue to get those experiences.”

Hyde said that, But I bet he did so regretfully. It just stands to reason That you don’t want an inconsistent player as your closer. I disagree with the idea of a closer it anyway, but if you’re going to use Scott, you’ve got to be ready to replace him.

Never been a Scott guy. Valdez blew like one game or whatever and everyone was calling for Scott to close. Come on. Guy's a dice roll. And Hyde knows it - you can tell when Scott just doesn't have it and credit to Hyde for immediately recognizing it and warming up Valdez 6 pitches in. 

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

Also, thank god the Yankees were stupid enough to put Odor in the cleanup spot last night. He was the one guy basically assured of striking out against a pitcher literally unable to NOT throw him 4 balls. 

“Odor is a good player for my enemy to have.”

2 hours ago, Philip said:

Hyde said that, But I bet he did so regretfully. It just stands to reason That you don’t want an inconsistent player as your closer. I disagree with the idea of a closer it anyway, but if you’re going to use Scott, you’ve got to be ready to replace him.

He's a "Wild Thing" at times and awesome others.  It's a fun ride nonetheless when he's on.  Else, he gets three or four batters and next man up.  As a wise man once spake, "It is what it is".  Let the freak flag fly!

3 hours ago, Philip said:

I don’t have a problem with that, my point was that we have to accept his inconsistency, and prepare for it. When you bring him into a game, you have to be prepared that he’s going to have a terrible outing. Which means unless he comes into down 10 or up 10 garbage time, you’ve got to be prepared to replace him quickly with somebody else if he’s handing out walks like his Halloween candy.

I think you are generally correct here, but I think you misinterpret or misunderstand where the Orioles are.  

Yes, we have to accept his inconsistency and prepare for it.  But preparing for it means accepting his failure, not waiting for garbage time and not using a quick hook.  

Not measuring success by wins does NOT mean trying to lose.  It means putting guys in positions where you want them to gain experience and hopefully develop.  Scott may never improve his lack of consistency.  But the fact that his highs are stellar means he is going to get lots and lots of chances to fail.  And yes that means some 3-2 ballgames will be lost 6-3 or 4-3.

But THIS is the important work of building talent.  We should absolutely give multiple guys chances at high pressure games.  But quick hooking a young high potential arm to win a game 3-2 misses the point.  Entirely.

Its literally exactly where you want these guys right now.  In the fire with chances to win or lose.  No one wants to lose.  Not the players not the staff and certainly not the fans.  But I expect this part to start being fun.  And then I will expect small successes to come from the failures, then larger ones...then, we are competing.

Some of these guys won't last, some of em will.  There will be surprises.  I can't speak for you, but I am trying to enjoy the process a little more.

• Upvote 1

In that Saturday game, Scott's location was way off until the grounds crew fixed the cleat cleaner and dried off the mound some. After that, his location.was fine, so I figured his landing foot was causing a shift when it hit the mud. This doesn't explain the last game, but his other appearances besides these two weren't too bad.

• 4 weeks later...

Last night was just the type of outing from Scott that drives me nuts.   Walks the leadoff batter.   Throws a wild pitch.   Can’t throw a fastball for a strike so becomes very predictable with the slider.    He’s just not a back end reliever in my book.    

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Last night was just the type of outing from Scott that drives me nuts.   Walks the leadoff batter.   Throws a wild pitch.   Can’t throw a fastball for a strike so becomes very predictable with the slider.    He’s just not a back end reliever in my book.    

Not until he develops some command and control.  

He may never do that..or he could be someone that takes a while to harness his stuff, ala Andrew Miller.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Not until he develops some command and control.  

He may never do that..or he could be someone that takes a while to harness his stuff, ala Andrew Miller.

Scott will get every last chance in the world being a southpaw and throwing in the upper 90's. If he ever does figure it out hopefully that happens as an Oriole.

On 4/27/2021 at 12:37 PM, bobmc said:

Hyder disagrees ....

That Hyde disagrees is one of the nails in his managerial coffin. 

however, Hyde has come around and no longer throws Scott into a high leverage situation if he can help it.

23 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Scott will get every last chance in the world being a southpaw and throwing in the upper 90's. If he ever does figure it out hopefully that happens as an Oriole.

He won’t. I have always been down on Scott as a hard thrower who had no idea where it was going. I was hopeful and encouraged that he seemed to have fixed that problem well enough to be a meaningful reliever. But that seems to have been a happy digression and now he is back to being himself. With that in mind it’s time to ship him off.

• Upvote 1