Adley Rutschman 2021

glenn__davis

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

The second part is meaningless.

The first part is the only reason.  If he is still struggling, you don’t bring him up.  If he is hitting well by July/August, you bring him up.  

Perhaps, if you think that experience will help him become a quality big leaguers faster, then sure. But whether you want to admit it or not, this team makes decision based on financial reasons so if they think they can save some money in the long term by not promoting him this year (assuming he fixes his current holes in his swing) they will do so if the team is not competing for a playoff spot (which is pretty doubtful).

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The second part is meaningless.

The first part is the only reason.  If he is still struggling, you don’t bring him up.  If he is hitting well by July/August, you bring him up.  

Everything is a matter of degree.   What does “hitting well” mean?   I don’t want to stunt his growth as a player, but if it’s a close call I have no problem with taking service time into consideration, and yes, the fact that the team isn’t a contender matters.  

32 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Perhaps, if you think that experience will help him become a quality big leaguers faster, then sure. But whether you want to admit it or not, this team makes decision based on financial reasons so if they think they can save some money in the long term by not promoting him this year (assuming he fixes his current holes in his swing) they will do so if the team is not competing for a playoff spot (which is pretty doubtful).

They have already saved money.  This is the year he was going to be up anyway had 2020 not been the sh**show it was.

They have gained the extra year already.  

If he shows he belongs in the majors, you bring him up.  He isn’t “young” anymore and he plays a position whose shelf life is only so long.

Not to mention, you need to get these guys Ml experience so that this team can actually be good again.

And if you want to take it to finances, how about this..win games and get people to the park.  That’s how you actually make money.  

I know we basically have the worst ownership group in the game and perhaps in sports but at some point, even they want to sell tickets and make more money.

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Everything is a matter of degree.   What does “hitting well” mean?   I don’t want to stunt his growth as a player, but if it’s a close call I have no problem with taking service time into consideration, and yes, the fact that the team isn’t a contender matters.  

You aren’t stunting his growth.  That’s a ridiculous conversation.  If his growth is stunted, he was going to fail anyway.

And no, it doesn’t matter.  Again, why bring up anyone now then?  I assume you think Mountcastle should never have been brought up last year?  What about now?  

When a Player is ready, you get them up..you want to wait at the beginning of the year to get the extra year?  Fine.  Other than that, get them up here.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You aren’t stunting his growth.  That’s a ridiculous conversation.  If his growth is stunted, he was going to fail anyway.

And no, it doesn’t matter.  Again, why bring up anyone now then?  I assume you think Mountcastle should never have been brought up last year?  What about now?  

When a Player is ready, you get them up..you want to wait at the beginning of the year to get the extra year?  Fine.  Other than that, get them up here.

Keeping Mountcastle down any longer than we did would have stunted his growth as a player.   He’d gotten as good as he was going to get by playing against MiL players and so it was time to give him a new challenge.   You can argue he was ready sometime in 2019, but I was fine with how they handled him.    But let’s say we’d been in a pennant race and had a big hole at 1B/DH —- that would have mattered in deciding to call him up.   I doubt Manny would have been in the majors in 2012 if the team was in the same competitive position as 2011.

As to Rutschman, when he’s hitting over .800 OPS and striking out less than 25% of the time, I’ll worry about a promotion, including whether that promotion should be to Norfolk or Baltimore.    If the team was contending with Severino and Sisco struggling, that might affect my timetable.   

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Keeping Mountcastle down any longer than we did would have stunted his growth as a player.   He’d gotten as good as he was going to get by playing against MiL players and so it was time to give him a new challenge.   You can argue he was ready sometime in 2019, but I was fine with how they handled him.    But let’s say we’d been in a pennant race and had a big hole at 1B/DH —- that would have mattered in deciding to call him up.   I doubt Manny would have been in the majors in 2012 if the team was in the same competitive position as 2011.

As to Rutschman, when he’s hitting over .800 OPS and striking out less than 25% of the time, I’ll worry about a promotion, including whether that promotion should be to Norfolk or Baltimore.    If the team was contending with Severino and Sisco struggling, that might affect my timetable.   

But so what?  If we aren’t contending, what does it matter?  

And sure, Adley has to hit.  I said it all offseason.  Unless he is awful, he should be in the majors by July or August.  

If he can’t hit AA pitching this year, I don’t see how anyone can believe he is a franchise player.  

I’m in the camp that says you bring him up when his bat is ready. My gut tells me it’s not going to be a difficult decision when the time comes. That gut also thinks he may have to struggle for a while before he makes the adjustments he needs to get his bat ML ready. Now, Hall seems like a guy who is more primed for this kind of debate than Rutschman. But save that for another day/thread. 

Both strikeouts were full counts and I wanna say there were foul balls on both but I am in the camp that says he should stay in AA at least until he gets better. He will get there I think, just takes a bit of time and I think he made a decent jump to AA and this is probably the best players he has played competitive games against. He did seem to be getting along good with the pitchers though. 

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea it is.  If he was still getting a lot of hits, I wouldn’t care.  

I don't see how this is a surprise.  He didn't exactly dominate in  2019.  He had a hot stretch in Aberdeen.  

2020 doesn't mean anything to me.  I know the reports out of the alternate site were glowing and people were raving about him but I don't see how facing the same pitchers over and over again is a telling sign of future success.  No one can convince me otherwise.

This is essentially the best competition he's ever had to face.   I'm not surprised that he's striking out this much...or that he's struggling so far.  Hopefully he just needs to get his feet wet a little bit and get a bit more comfortable and we'll be able to laugh about that time we freaked out that AR had a slow start in the minors.