Adley Rutschman 2021

glenn__davis

On 8/18/2021 at 6:58 PM, owknows said:

Elias is not here to build the best farm in baseball.

Elias is not here to make ML fans happy for one season.

He's not here to put together a contender.. for one season...

He is here to build a critical mass of players that can progress into MLB pretty much in tandem, providing a playoff caliber team for the duration of their tenure with the club, and to subsequently have equally talented players at the ready when the tenured talent is traded for refresh fodder, or allowed to seek free agency.

In short, he is here to implement the Tampa Bay model.

To do this he must strategically reserve and synchronize resources to allow first wave players to establish themselves as a winning ball club, with sufficient years of team control to make the process work.

He has so far managed to "wind the spring" as it were, building the first bolus of players to be released into MLB over the next two seasons. He has in my opinion, done this without significant impediment to the development of any player, and done so while managing the challenges of COVID and a financial squeeze.

As in any sports fan base, there is no shortage of fans who know best what ought have been done (generally suggesting that it is something OTHER than what is being done), and are not bashful in sharing that opinion. Without regard for the strategic implications. I guess that is part of the fun of following sports.

Great post, someone gets what's going on here.

5 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

.790 isn't bad for a catcher. Besides, it's small sample. Looking at Mullins though, you've got to wonder how many switch hitters would be better served giving it up

If I remember correctly it isn't exactly rare for a switch hitter to vary from season to season in which side is stronger.

11 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

.790 isn't bad for a catcher.

Chance Sisco’s minor league OPS was higher than that, and when he got to the big leagues opposing pitchers carved him up like a Thanksgiving turkey. Now, I think Rutschman has much better instincts than Sisco, and will be better able to adapt. But if there is a weakness in his LH approach pitchers will for damn sure find and exploit it. If he eventually turns into Sisco from the left and Buster Posey from the right  I can live with it, but it will still be a tad disappointing. 

10 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Chance Sisco’s minor league OPS was higher than that, and when he got to the big leagues opposing pitchers carved him up like a Thanksgiving turkey. Now, I think Rutschman has much better instincts than Sisco, and will be better able to adapt. But if there is a weakness in his LH approach pitchers will for damn sure find and exploit it. If he eventually turns into Sisco from the left and Buster Posey from the right  I can live with it, but it will still be a tad disappointing. 

Why did you bother to ask the question if you were just going to "be concerned" anyway?

1 hour ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Might be time to consider giving up switch hitting then, unless he wants a career closer to Sisco's than Posey's. 

On 8/18/2021 at 6:58 PM, owknows said:

Elias is not here to build the best farm in baseball.

Elias is not here to make ML fans happy for one season.

He's not here to put together a contender.. for one season...

He is here to build a critical mass of players that can progress into MLB pretty much in tandem, providing a playoff caliber team for the duration of their tenure with the club, and to subsequently have equally talented players at the ready when the tenured talent is traded for refresh fodder, or allowed to seek free agency.

In short, he is here to implement the Tampa Bay model.

To do this he must strategically reserve and synchronize resources to allow first wave players to establish themselves as a winning ball club, with sufficient years of team control to make the process work.

He has so far managed to "wind the spring" as it were, building the first bolus of players to be released into MLB over the next two seasons. He has in my opinion, done this without significant impediment to the development of any player, and done so while managing the challenges of COVID and a financial squeeze.

As in any sports fan base, there is no shortage of fans who know best what ought have been done (generally suggesting that it is something OTHER than what is being done), and are not bashful in sharing that opinion. Without regard for the strategic implications. I guess that is part of the fun of following sports.

Missed this or didn't fully read it before.  I usually don't quote long posts but I thought this was particularly well worded.  Good stuff.