Drew Rom 2021

Frobby

1 hour ago, Ripken said:

Zach Davies is still around.  Horrid friggin trade.

Truth on both parts. The ability to command his 4-pitch mix similar to Davies will be the key, but I've kinda said in the past that Rom is similar to Davies, but left-handed which is a plus.

Again, just because his velocity hasn't ticked up as much as we all would like, he's a still a good prospect in my mind. His numbers are much betetr than Davies. 

Note: Rom is one year older than Davies was at the same level (due to COVID reasons) but similar amount of professional innings (Rom 126 IP to Davies 114.1 IP)

High-A stats:
Rom      10.1/9 K   1.0/9 BB   8.1 H/9  0.3 HR/9   2.60 ERA in 6 starts so far
Davies    8.0/9 K    2.3/9 BB   8.8 H/9  0.6 HR/9   3.69 ERA in 26 starts

So as you can see, Rom is out performing Davies at this point and I love 21 year olds that can throw four pitches for strikes.

• Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I love to see a Kentucky boy do well. Rom improved to 5-0 with six shutout innings tonight. I don't like to rush anyone, but maybe he moves up to AA by August and gets in a couple of months there.

Looks like he even got a weather-assisted complete game shutout.

Rom's 2019 was one of those automatic successes in my book where if you play high school one year, make a Sally team and hold your own, that's a nice start.    So obviously in phantom 2020 I imagine he would have been Aberdeen-level most of the year, and I'm hopeful he'll make Bowie this month.

56 minutes ago, waroriole said:

He’s not exactly killing at A+, but the lack of walks is nice. If he can continue to have outings like tonight, you’d hope he sees AA this year. 

I still live in the 70s as far as stats, I guess, but he's in the top five in wins and ERA and top 10 in WHIP, strikeouts...He has had a couple of starts that weren't great, but he's been one of the best in the league overall.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, orioles22 said:

I still live in the 70s as far as stats, I guess, but he's in the top five in wins and ERA and top 10 in WHIP, strikeouts...He has had a couple of starts that weren't great, but he's been one of the best in the league overall.

He looks physically like the lefty version of Blaine Knight - who I'd like to see get a look, but Knight just turned 25, while Rom is just 21 - so Rom could fill out some and maybe has some projectability with his fastball?  Rom's putting together a really nice resume.  His SO/W ratios have stuck out - and 53/9 this year is tremendous.         

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bobmc said:

The next Alex Wells?  We shall see.

While there are definite similarities in that neither has a high-octane fastball and both have good feel for several secondary pitches, I do think there are some differences.    Rom has a couple of extra ticks on his fastball compared to Wells, and while he keeps his walks low, they’re not as low as Wells, who’s very extreme in that regard.   Rom misses a lot more bats than Wells.   Tony can probably elaborate more on the differences in their stuff.  

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

While there are definite similarities in that neither has a high-octane fastball and both have good feel for several secondary pitches, I do think there are some differences.    Rom has a couple of extra ticks on his fastball compared to Wells, and while he keeps his walks low, they’re not as low as Wells, who’s very extreme in that regard.   Rom misses a lot more bats than Wells.   Tony can probably elaborate more on the differences in their stuff.  

After watching Ryu miss bats, I can only dream that one of our "crafty lefties" can attain a similar repertoire and pitchability.  Throwing a change out of the zone on 3-2 counts takes a certain "chutzpah" but Ryu succeeds.

1 minute ago, bobmc said:

After watching Ryu miss bats, I can only dream that one of our "crafty lefties" can attain a similar repertoire and pitchability.  Throwing a change out of the zone on 3-2 counts takes a certain "chutzpah" but Ryu succeeds.

It helps when facing our lineup. 

• Upvote 1