Schmuck on Tex

Sports Guy

When pitching is bringing down the whole team like ours has consistently done, it must be addressed and it has to take the priority. I think AM believes this, as do most baseball people. If the bidding for Tex goes too high and it prevents us from adding pitching then I take pitching. Two reasons, the one IMO undebateable, our pitching stinks, and the second while Tex is a very good player, he is not a 22 million dollar a year player. Keep in mind, I watched Tex play as high school player and followed him since then. As I have said I want him but not at 8 years/175, if it stops us from attacking the #1 need.

When there is little pitching available that is worth spending the money for, then is ignoring another big need really the way to go?

Why is it so hard to understand that in building a team, you add pieces you need as they come along? That does not mean ignoring pitching, and anyone who says otherwise is a complete moron. However, that DOES mean that when a major priority (in this case, starting pitching) isn't available, while another, slightly lesser priority (in this case, a middle-of-the-lineup first baseman entering his prime) is, you go for what you can get and be prepared to address the first priority at the next opportunity.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Red Sox Pursuing Teixeira

By Nat Boyle [November 2 at 10:02am CST]

Ken Davidoff of Newsday is confirming the Red Sox will be pushing hard to sign Mark Teixeira this offseason, a free agent perfect storm situation for Teixeira who also has interest coming from the Yankees. Writes Davidoff,

"Boston will aggressively pursue Teixeira, two industry sources confirmed. While the Red Sox have a very good first baseman in Kevin Youkilis, they can move Youkilis to third to make room for Teixeira. Incumbent third baseman Mike Lowell is recovering from hip surgery and isn't expected to be ready until mid-March, and as much as the Red Sox like Lowell, they can look to trade him."

I'm sure he'll tell the former WS Champs and year-in year-out playoff committed franchises that he'd rather play for the Orioles. Or, it's just more fluff, and no reason to pay it any attention.

Wow, that is a VERY interesting comment from Teixeira about his intentions. Thanks for posting that, since it is completely relevant to the discussion about what he thinks.

Oh wait...

When there is little pitching available that is worth spending the money for, then is ignoring another big need really the way to go?

Why is it so hard to understand that in building a team, you add pieces you need as they come along? That does not mean ignoring pitching, and anyone who says otherwise is a complete moron. However, that DOES mean that when a major priority (in this case, starting pitching) isn't available, while another, slightly lesser priority (in this case, a middle-of-the-lineup first baseman entering his prime) is, you go for what you can get and be prepared to address the first priority at the next opportunity.

Not that hard of a concept, is it?

You lost me, when you said chance to play on a contender now. IMO you are in the buble because you are ignoring the abysmal pitching staff we have. One more time, if you can not pitch you can not win. That 5.5 ERA we had last year was not because Millar was a bad first baseman.

You mentioned hometown loyalty in the part I quoted, so don't switch the question and act confused.

One more time....I understand that.....pitching needs to be fixed first. If they are willing to spend or trade for pitching and Tex, then it is a perfect world. I have said that a million times.

I don't get it Mike ... The Orioles need a SS, 1B , & 2 SP. Regardless of the order in which they address those needs they need to get done this offseason.

I think if you can get Tex first great!

But be sure to sign Burnett & Dempster or something close.

Find a way to get Wood, Donald, or Brignac... Get the one that you can trade for a reasonable offer.

You mentioned hometown loyalty in the part I quoted, so don't switch the question and act confused.

I am not confused at the hometown loyalty part at all. I am very confused on how you can say he could play for a contender here immediately and have hometown loyalty. That is what I was reponding to. Go back and read your post.

I agree w/this except for one caveat... You have to take into account salary and percentage of resources used to fix one lesser need. Does paying what it takes to land Teix use up a high enough percentage of resources that it makes filling other holes tough to do... If not, pull the trigger, if so then maybe it makes sense to take a pass.

I am not confused at the hometown loyalty part at all. I am very confused on how you can say he could play for a contender here immediately and have hometown loyalty. That is what I was reponding to. Go back and read your post.

No wonder you're confused...I didn't say that. Your turn to re-read my post.

I agree w/this except for one caveat... You have to take into account salary and percentage of resources used to fix one lesser need. Does paying what it takes to land Teix use up a high enough percentage of resources that it makes filling other holes tough to do... If not, pull the trigger, if so then maybe it makes sense to take a pass.

Good point.

Of course, we should be able to increase the payroll enough to accommodate filling both needs, plus others.

Good point.

Of course, we should be able to increase the payroll enough to accommodate filling both needs, plus others.

When MASN was created by Pete it was widely discussed that their would be a increased revenue stream(especially with the TV rights to the Nat's. Since dumping Miggy, Bedard, & the others the payroll has decreased this past season. Money saved... So the combination of both spells that their is no reason that the payroll shouldn't seriously increase. If Pete wants the fans to return he needs to improve the product!

Same tune :wedge: different year!

One more time....I understand that.....pitching needs to be fixed first. If they are willing to spend or trade for pitching and Tex, then it is a perfect world. I have said that a million times.
So we should turn down the opportunity to improve the team by vastly improving out 1B situation for a handful of years because we have other problems?

That makes absolutely zero sense. We have several problems. To ignore any of them is stupid. If theres a way you can improve the team, it'd be irresponsible to pass on it. Signing Tex doesn't prohibit the team from fixing the pitching in any way, especially since the only thing Tex will cost is money, and money isn't going to fix our SP problems (I think it'd be a very poor move to pay a ton of money to any of this current FA crop, wait for our own or sign someone if their demands are reasonable).

As expected Boras wants a longer deal than 6 years for Tex...

Boras said the 36-year-old Ramirez is worthy of a six-year deal, arguing that his client's value shouldn't be diminished by his age because he hasn't shown any signs of deterioration at the plate. The agent said he expected Teixeira, 28, to get an even longer deal.

IMO, signing stopgaps of any kind is foolish. Signing players like Payton, Millar, Trax has led inpart, to our current problem.

Either sign top teir FA's (Tex, Burnett, CC) or aquire via trade, young long term potential greats. Wasting $20m of payroll on mediocre players does nothing for us.

IMO, signing stopgaps of any kind is foolish. Signing players like Payton, Millar, Trax has led inpart, to our current problem.

Either sign top teir FA's (Tex, Burnett, CC) or aquire via trade, young long term potential greats. Wasting $20m of payroll on mediocre players does nothing for us.

I agree 100%, no more Payton, Baez, Millar, etc.

I want Tex here as much as everyone else but 10/200 contract is insane. But if we want to compete with the big boys then we have to pay like them.

Archived