Is this team bad enough for the number 1 pick?

Greenpastures23

28 minutes ago, now said:

good catch... forgot about that Rocker! 
PS Which one (of the 2021 versions) would you choose?

I have no idea whatsoever.  Are they related to the old Leiter and Rocker?  If the new ones walked into a room I wouldn't be able to tell them from a lacrosse player or a curling star.

20 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I have no idea whatsoever.  Are they related to the old Leiter and Rocker?  If the new ones walked into a room I wouldn't be able to tell them from a lacrosse player or a curling star.

Jack is Al's son.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Picks like Kjerstad should and will get you fired. 

Elias has done WORLDS for our player development and pretty much every aspect of our team but that pick was questionable at best. Was disappointed when it happened, before the injury (and again, I fully understand the underslot strategy). It reminded me of Joe Jordan picks, just glad I didn't hear him described as "toolsy". Regardless, MUCH more good than bad for Elias and his tenure but he should get criticism just like anyone else. 

Edited by NelsonCruuuuuz
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Picks like Kjerstad should and will get you fired. 

The book on Kjerstad hasn't even started yet. Are we blaming Elias because he got myocarditis? What if Kjerstad becomes a perennial 40 home run hitter? You can not like the pick if you want but this post is way premature. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

The book on Kjerstad hasn't even started yet. Are we blaming Elias because he got myocarditis? What if Kjerstad becomes a perennial 40 home run hitter? You can not like the pick if you want but this post is way premature. 

If you're online with no insight into the strategic management, scouting and other aspects of the team and no influence into the team's decision making it's your duty to call all controversial decisions firing offenses.

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

You can hit 40 hr and not be valuable.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

I can only personally speak for myself but :

1. I don’t think anyone is “blaming” Elias for myocarditis. That obviously is a straw man. Some have questioned the amount of research/in depth research done with him personally beyond metrics/stats.  I think that’s a fair question. 

2. I think in a town where the football team’s greatness was built upon drafting the BPA (and I get it, different sport, different draft strategies) AND you put a putrid product on the field while trading away anyone of value….perhaps you should take the BPA and not get too cute. Looks bad from a PR standpoint IMO. 

Given our current roster construction, I'm fine losing games as long as our core players are improving. There is no miracle run in this team, so I'd just assume get another top 5 pick in '22. I'm surprised at all the blowback on the '20 draft class. Westburg has been everything we could have hoped for. Haskin is doing very nicely. But the three picks that will define the decision to skip Martin (Kjerstad, Mayo, Baumler) haven't even played a game yet. It will be at least three years until we can even think of grading our class.....we just don't know what we have. In the meantime, our ML rotation is currently lousy after Means. We had to expect Akin, Kremer, Lowther, Zimmerman would experience growing pains adjusting to the majors. The hope is that one or two of them figure it out and become reliable arms for the back end of the rotation. The Rodriguez/Hall/Baumann/Bradish group is getting closer. That's the group that will determine our fate, not the present young arms that are struggling. The second half of the season will be worth critiquing and a lot more fun because we'll see something closer to our future composition. But Elias did not work the offseason to make this a competitive team. We're not as bad as our 17-29 record, but we are simply a bad team....until our young arms change the equation. 

• Upvote 4

We're a little past the first quarter into the season.

We're in last place and we'll most likely stay there.  I don't see us surpassing Toronto.

As it stands right now, the competition for the #1 pick are the Twins, Tigers, Angels, Nats, Pirates, Rockies, Diamondbacks and maybe the Reds.

Of that group, I think the Rockies and Pirates are the worst, and that's based on nothing but my gut.  I'm not actively comping our rosters or anything.  I think that the Twins, Angels, Nats and maybe the Diamondbacks are better than us, but not by a lot.  

There's a long way to go, however I think we should be picking anywhere from 3rd to 5th next year.  I could see us winding up with the #1 pick but we're not a shoe-in like we were for the 2019 draft.