Is this team bad enough for the number 1 pick?

Greenpastures23

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Huh?  He has said he doesn’t care about wins yet you think he thought this team was more complete?

Some people just don’t get it... Elias is saying and doing all the right things.   At some point the prospects (players) have to produce or be replaced. 

• Upvote 1

Number one pick, and with this starting rotation and what we have to counter it with it in the minors? Also, the hitting being one of, if not the worst in the AL? How can one argue that they couldn’t be a lock for the number one pick? Coaching staff isn’t developing players as well. I think the organization needs another number one pick yet again, but in saying that it just goes to show you how much damage Angelos has done to this organization over the years and is continuing to do.

Edited by KillerTofu
Needed to add more content

53 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Atleast we won’t have the worst play in history this season.  The Pirates just committed that and there is no way someone makes a worse play. 

Holy crap! Just saw the video. Little league play. 

I'm a fan of tanking for #1.   The draft is a crapshoot, and many super hyped guys don't pan out.  But there is way more hype for Greene than you see in most years....   There's talk the Twins might actually tank to try to land him with the #1 pick.  

Of course, you wouldn't know it by how they just played us.....

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-sports/tank-for-elijah-twins-could-have-shot-at-draft-phenom

1 hour ago, BirdinBama said:

I'm supremely confident that we will get the number 1 pick in 2022. Our team really sucks, and we play in the toughest division.

It’s a long season and you never know what will happen.   Take 2010 for instance.  On August 1 we were 32-73 (.305) and had the worst record in MLB by 4.5 games.   Then we went 34-23 the rest of the way and ended up with the no. 4 pick.    

Now, there was a significant intervening event that season (we hired Buck starting on August 2), but still, stuff like that happens.    We’ve certainly experienced the opposite happening too (63-63 team goes 4-32 down the stretch).   

So, do I expect us to finish at or near the bottom?   Yes.   But I’m not “supremely confident” that we’ll draft 1-1.   There’s 113 games left to play.  

19 hours ago, Keygans said:

Some people just don’t get it... Elias is saying and doing all the right things.   At some point the prospects (players) have to produce or be replaced. 

1.  Rude

2.  I get it.  Rebuilding is tough.  You get a lot of losses.  But when you see a team of prospects, 99% of whom have regressed, the GM has to be accountable.  He has to put together a team and coaching staff that puts players in a position to succeed.  One look at the Hyde thread shows me not a lot of people think he has put the coaches in place.  One look at the frustration of posts like Tony's from the other day shows me everyone recognizes that that this team is not where it should be, if not by WL record by daily competitiveness.  

Some people seem to have misinterpreted my post.  I dont think Elias thought this was a playoff team.  He thought he had put a roster in place that would start to show fruit.  It hasn't.

If I were Elias and I were 2.5 years into a rebuild that has shown a failure to build anything at the major league level I would also be giving interviews that said the major leagues dont matter, that the record doesn't matter, and that the players will succeed eventually.

An organization is just that, multiple teams with multiple objectives, and there have to be successes at every level when you are operating at the margin that the Orioles intend to operate at.

PICK TEAM RECORD WIN% GB STREAK L10

1 17-33 .340 -- Lost 10 0-10

2 18-34 .346 -- Lost 12 0-10

3 18-31 .367 1.5 Lost 6 1-9

4 19-32 .373 1.5 Lost 3 4-6

This is our competition for the 1st pick as of today. It looks like it wont be easy to get to #1, as a number of teams appear willing to try and lose as much as possible for Greene.