Hyde can’t manage this team

Explosivo

Just now, Explosivo said:

Mulligan came to see that Hyde is not a good manager. Are you saying that he is? What indication leads you to believe that?

Yea, anyone saying that is full of sh**.  It’s a very poor take especially with what Hyde has been given to work with.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think anyone doubts that Hyde makes mistakes.   But I don’t think many of us think that he’s a significant reason why the team is bad.   

Whether he’d be a good manager for a good team is hard to know.  When you have a young, developing team, there are times you make decisions to test players and let them learn from experience at the expense of maximizing the chance of winning the game.   When you’re in a pennant race, not so much.   

Hyde isnt perfect, Im sure they are many out there that would be worse.

Not like this is an idea roster to manager.

We need to be teaching fundamentals down on the farm, oh yeah, the Oriole way.

Damnit that was the best way. Fundamentally strong, will usually beat stronger skilled players, but weaker fundamentals.

2 hours ago, Philip said:

If we replaced the catchers the pitching would marginally improve but that’s not why I asked the question.

I asked the question because it is impossible that our catchers contribute to a positive defensive ranking and I was just asking @Frobby what the catching rank is. 

29th of 30 major league teams.   But to give a sense of scale, the difference between the top and bottom teams is about 14 runs.   

• Thanks 1

I disagree. He’s a bench coach turned manager. I agree there are some holes with the team. Given the talent, what good coach would accept the position?

so he’s not good. He’s a bad manager, but it’s all good because we don’t really want him to be good. We need a couple more top draft picks that will increase our likelihood getting to the World Series in our 2-5 year window of greatness.

Edited by Explosivo

Just now, Explosivo said:

I disagree. He’s a bench coach turned manager. I agree there are some holes with the team, but can we at least admit that this isn’t like Joe Madden taking over the Angels or LaRussa over the White Sox? My point is, of course he’s a bad coach. Given the talent, what good coach would accept the position?

Not everybody in baseball land thought the world of LaRussa, smart guy, but wasnt the best at managing pitchers and pitching staffs.

I think you are judging Hyde too harshly, but thats within your rights as a Fan.

Hell, Buck was in a 5 year winning stretch and 2 solid playoff runs, and some posters tore him apart as if he was just plain trash as a Manager.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Not everybody in baseball land thought the world of LaRussa, smart guy, but wasnt the best at managing pitchers and pitching staffs.

I think you are judging Hyde too harshly, but thats within your rights as a Fan.

Hell, Buck was in a 5 year winning stretch and 2 solid playoff runs, and some posters tore him apart as if he was just plain trash as a Manager.

And I would have disagreed with them. Other than not pitching Britton against the Blue Jays. That was indefensible.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

29th of 30 major league teams.   But to give a sense of scale, the difference between the top and bottom teams is about 14 runs.   

I’m not sure how to interpret that. Our catchers are undeniably awful, and the only debate is whether Sisco can improve his offense. I strenuously claim he can’t.

I can’t believe there is so little difference between best and worst.

which categories did you check? You can PM or start a separate thread because this topic is far away from whether Hyde is a competent manager or not. 

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m not sure how to interpret that. Our catchers are undeniably awful, and the only debate is whether Sisco can improve his offense. I strenuously claim he can’t.

I can’t believe there is so little difference between best and worst.

which categories did you check? You can PM or start a separate thread because this topic is far away from whether Hyde is a competent manager or not. 

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=c&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=0&type=1&season=2021&month=0&season1=2021&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2021-01-01&enddate=2021-12-31

24 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

And I would have disagreed with them. Other than not pitching Britton against the Blue Jays. That was indefensible.

Britton's thing was pretty stupid, it really was, and yet I can see from his perspective maybe it wasn't.

Can you image if it worked out for Buck?

48 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

At some point, you have to just go with it though.  

On one hand, people bash Hyde because he takes guys out too quickly.  On the other hand, the say the pen is overworked.

The pen is sucking right now, so why not try to get a few more outs?  Now, I will say that maybe after getting runners on, you take him out.  I’m fine with anyone thinking that.  But what if the reliever comes in and still gives up the homer.  You would then have people say that Lopez hadn’t thrown many pitches, had held them down for a lot of the game and that he should have been given the chance.

There is a grand total of 1 reliable pitcher on this staff right now and even Means’ numbers are probably indicative of him pitching over his head.   

He is just totally hamstrung right now with this roster.