Austin Wynns in Baltimore per Roch

rm5678

2 hours ago, Philip said:

He must be your nephew or some thing, he’s terrible, he has given no sign that he will ever not be terrible. I am quite happy to keep him around, but I am also quite happy to send him on his way.

It’s all about being dumb or smart..releasing him when you don’t have to is dumb.

Your inability to see that is astounding to me.

Wynns is a solid average defensive catcher in most areas including framing, which is an upgrade over Severino and Sisco. He's not going to hit much and overall, he's a stopgap backup catcher at the major league level. 

Saying that, I'm glad he's up here because Sisco has to figure some things out at the plate and between catcher, DH and 1B, he should get a lot of PAs in AAA to see if he can figure it out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Wynns is a solid average defensive catcher in most areas including framing, which is an upgrade over Severino and Sisco. He's not going to hit much and overall, he's a stopgap backup catcher at the major league level. 

Saying that, I'm glad he's up here because Sisco has to figure some things out at the plate and between catcher, DH and 1B, he should get a lot of PAs in AAA to see if he can figure it out.

Do you see them putting Sisco at 1st at any point, even in Norfolk? He’s only played 1 inning, ever, there.

Time to let Wynns start.   Severino is terrible behind the plate.   Another PB allowing a run to score.   He's just too bad behind the plate to keep starting him.   Wynns is not the long term answer,  and maybe not even a good short term answer, but I'd be happy to never see Severino behind the plate again,  ever. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Time to let Wynns start.   Severino is terrible behind the plate.   Another PB allowing a run to score.   He's just too bad behind the plate to keep starting him.   Wynns is not the long term answer,  and maybe not even a good short term answer, but I'd be happy to never see Severino behind the plate again,  ever. 

Hyde seems to favor Severino.  Must be the big (614 OPS) bat.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, forphase1 said:

Your best option to get rid of Severino is for him to continue to start and get hot with the bat up til the trade deadline. Then he will no longer be our problem and you will see more of Wynns. 

11 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Your best option to get rid of Severino is for him to continue to start and get hot with the bat up til the trade deadline. Then he will no longer be our problem and you will see more of Wynns. 

I don't see anyone trading for Severino.

You might get someone to claim him off waivers.

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see anyone trading for Severino.

You might get someone to claim him off waivers.

It's a stretch but I think that's the main reason for him playing right now. He did put up 1.1 WAR in 2019 and 0.9 WAR in a short 2020. It's not inconceivable someone could be interested in a PBTNL type deal. 

11 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

It's a stretch but I think that's the main reason for him playing right now. He did put up 1.1 WAR in 2019 and 0.9 WAR in a short 2020. It's not inconceivable someone could be interested in a PBTNL type deal. 

I think Hyde prefers him and Elias doesn't feel a need to override the choice.

18 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

2!

That first hit he got in the blowout game was huge.  That hit really opened the floodgates for the scoring.  That game could have gone a lot differently had Wynns not got that hit.  Good for him to finally find a way to get a hit.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yossarian said:

That first hit he got in the blowout game was huge.  That hit really opened the floodgates for the scoring.  That game could have gone a lot differently had Wynns not got that hit.  Good for him to finally find a way to get a hit.

I was happy he got it.

I was happier that he somehow helped guide Lopez to only 3 runs despite having a lot of trouble finding the plate.