Will we soon be better than the Nats?

Frobby

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Bump…

Big sell-off by the Nats in the last 48 hours, shedding Scherzer, Turner, Hand , Hudson and Schwarber.   Strasburg is having surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome, which is not an easy thing to come back from.   

The good news for the Nats is they have a lot of payroll flexibility next year.   They can choose between a rebuild and a reload.   I haven’t studied the return on the trades very carefully, but obviously they made dramatic improvements to a woeful farm system.   

So, worse than the O’s next year?   Maybe not, but they’ve got work to do. 

They got a Catcher who hits better than Adley, so I’d say a pretty good return based just on that. 

I do feel like Soto's first few years are continuing to parallel Cal's a little bit.   Believe his team will get good faster, thanks to revenue.

Can Josh Harrison be Lee Lacy?    Flags Fly Forever, but Strasburg 7-year contract might return worse value than Davis.

I suppose there will never be a trading detente between the two orgs on important stuff, but if Patrick Corbin could rest, freshen up his arm and get good again in 12 or 24 months, well....he's not as good as the Astros ace rentals of past years I suspect we'll one day try to copy, but he's the kind of expensive good pitcher on the wrong team at the wrong time, etc.

57 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

After the World Series they picked Strasburg over Rendon to pay. Now they're picking Soto over Turner. Probably eyeing a huge extension to make him a Nat for life. 

Well they also decided to give Corbin a big deal. Have no idea why they wanted him over Turner if they indeed do not re-sign him. 

51 minutes ago, waroriole said:

They got a Catcher who hits better than Adley, so I’d say a pretty good return based just on that. 

The catcher “rivalry” that the future may hold could be exciting!  Let’s hope it lasts longer than the Manny & Harper “rivalry”.

5 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Never. The Nationals can draft competently and rebuild competently unlike the Os. They take BPA and don’t wait for values of players to fall to nil before trading. At least the O’s likely got more for Armstrong than they did current All Star Yaz. But I am told daily that Elias is a genius…funny. Os will be “rebuilding” until Angelos passes. I have stated that several times and I am not just pulling that out of arse. Most people around the team understand that, but there’s your hope window. 

You keep saying this and ignore the worst system in the sport. If they draft so damn well why are they ranked so poorly?  

Now the trades they made which was smart changes that. 

6 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Verducci just had tidbit only four players who played in World Series Game 7 less than two years ago remain with team tonight.

If he's only going by game 7, then it's Soto, Zimmerman, Robles, and Corbin.  Strasburg didn't pitch in game 7, was series MVP, and is out for the season with neck surgery.

Eaton, Cabrera, and Kendrick left via free agency after last season.  Scherzer, Turner, Hudson, and Gomes all officially traded today.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/HOU/HOU201910300.shtml

1 minute ago, TonySoprano said:

If he's only going by game 7, then it's Soto, Zimmerman, Robles, and Corbin.  Strasburg didn't pitch in game 7, was series MVP, and is out for the season with neck surgery.

Eaton, Cabrera, and Kendrick left via free agency after last season.  Scherzer, Turner, Hudson, and Gomes all officially traded today.

But Parra came back from Japan

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

I've got to say that Ryan Zimmerman making it to "this generation" of Nationals teams is kind of like Palmer still being there in '83, or maybe even if his late '80's comeback that one spring had worked.

17 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I've got to say that Ryan Zimmerman making it to "this generation" of Nationals teams is kind of like Palmer still being there in '83, or maybe even if his late '80's comeback that one spring had worked.

Zimmerman was their first pick after the move to DC, and got a September call up less than 3 months later.  He sat out 2020 over COVID, but has played every other year.

33 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Zimmerman was their first pick after the move to DC, and got a September call up less than 3 months later.  He sat out 2020 over COVID, but has played every other year.

He’s a contemporary of Markakis and very much from the same mold — a quiet, soft spoken guy who never drew attention to himself but was a very good player.   And he has had a serious knack for hitting walk-off homers — 11 of them, in fact.   That’s pretty amazing.   For comparison’s sake, Albert Pujols has 12, David Ortiz had 11, Alex Rodriguez had 9, Miggy Cabrera has 7.    

2 hours ago, Yossarian said:

The Nats got the No. 1, No. 2, and No. 17 prospects from a very strong farm system in their star player dump.  They did much better than the O's did.  

Trae Turner accounting for a large portion of that, with his 1.3 years of control.

2 hours ago, Yossarian said:

The Nats got the No. 1, No. 2, and No. 17 prospects from a very strong farm system in their star player dump.  They did much better than the O's did.  

The O's were looking for salary relief in addition to players.  The Nationals weren't.

How much more do the O's get for Gausman if they don't bundle him with O'Day's contract?

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The O's were looking for salary relief in addition to players.  The Nationals weren't.

How much more do the O's get for Gausman if they don't bundle him with O'Day's contract?

Scherzer >>> Gausman (2018 version).  I take your point about salary relief being more important to the Orioles, but these are two all-stars the Dodgers just acquired.   I’d expect nothing less in terms of the quality of prospects acquired.  Scherzer’s a guy who could win you a couple of World Series games.