Amazing Video on pitchers cheating in MLB

Tony-OH

23 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Hate to see Glasnow get hurt.  Super talented kid.  But the idea that he is whining because MLB is cracking down on cheating is hilarious to me.

OTOH, I saw the point being made about why crack down on us and do nothing to Houston.  Not that 2 wrongs make a right but it’s a valid point in the overall “punishing you when you cheat” discussion.  

Did I miss someone actually being punished this season?

53 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Tampa Bay Rays pitcher Tyler Glasnow blames "sticky stuff" crackdown for injury - The Washington Post

The man had to cheat to survive!

His outrage is absurd, imo.  

They should lock him in a room with Nick "The fences are too far away, it's not fair" Castellanos and they can commiserate about how awful the world is to them.

The players in Houston were given a pass in order to get them and the union to cooperate with MLB's investigation.  They don't need the players cooperation to inspect equipment and balls taken out of play.  And, I don't think some sunscreen and rosin is the issue.  Batters want pitchers to have a decent grip on the ball for control purposes.  But, they don't want it to have such as drastic effect on spin rates.  A little grip is good for player safety.  Lots of grip is bad for action in the game.

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

The players in Houston were given a pass in order to get them and the union to cooperate with MLB's investigation.  They don't need the players cooperation to inspect equipment and balls taken out of play.  And, I don't think some sunscreen and rosin is the issue.  Batters want pitchers to have a decent grip on the ball for control purposes.  But, they don't want it to have such as drastic effect on spin rates.  A little grip is good for player safety.  Lots of grip is bad for action in the game.

Again, stats don’t lie. Batters are learning that in this age of sticky illegal goo, batters are getting plunked more now than ever before. This is no longer a valid argument.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

So his spin rate was down, strikeouts a season low, and hits yielded a season high. He still managed to pitch an effective game? Sounds like with this tiny SS, the foreign substance ban is working like a charm.

Maybe his numbers will look more like his 2015 with a K/9 of 8.7 rather than the gaudy 11.6+ of the last few years.

Just now, Mendoza Line said:

So his spin rate was down, strikeouts a season low, and hits yielded a season high. He still managed to pitch an effective game? Sounds like with this tiny SS, the foreign substance ban is working like a charm.

Maybe his numbers will look more like his 2015 with a K/9 of 8.7 rather than the gaudy 11.6+ of the last few years.

I wonder how much of a point he has about simply gripping the ball?  

I don’t recall this ever being an issue before??

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I wonder how much of a point he has about simply gripping the ball?  

I don’t recall this ever being an issue before??

I recall Buck discussing this when Matusz got suspended several years ago.  He said batters are fine with pitchers using a little substance to improve their grip.   I can’t find the quote, but I did find this:

“Showalter, who for years has lobbied for tackier baseballs so that pitchers can have better grips and put hitters in less peril, said he supports his player but also wants them to understand that actions come with consequences.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-matusz-suspended-eight-games-has-appealed-20150525-story.html%3foutputType=amp

So no one wants to talk about what happened with Girardi and Scherzer last night?

Scherzer is checked THREE times during the game, to include in the middle of the inning.

After getting the Scherzer death stare Girardi comes out of the dugout chirping and gets the boot.

Is this how MLB is going to "fix" the problem?  By allowing managers the chance to try and disrupt a pitcher's rhythm with checks? 

As is the norm for MLB this whole deal is poorly thought out.